HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
My confidence is already shaken by HAL and DRDO styled agencies who are the epitome of lethargy and incompetence. HAL specially is the front runner is Dragging India behind in self reliance. I love the platform, but we shud focus on weapons more than the platforms.
Actually it’s ofb that has serious quality issues. HAL is slowly showcasing products worth induction. LCH is an example. It’s a good product overall and the IAF so far is very keen on acquiring it. Unusually, it shows a very good flight envelope and is very forgiving. Thanks to it’s lightness.
Rudra has a couple of issues. Mainly being that an ATGM can’t be mounted in it because the vibration levels are way too much.
The HAL designers have mentioned that they learnt their lessons from rudra and made sure vibration issues were not a problem in the LCH for any weapons integration.

Even the tejas is taking good shape. It’s daylights ahead of mig21 bisons and provides the iAf with really good options. We are integrating some good missile systems from the Astra, to the derby. There are confirmed discussion on whether to integrate amraam systems for Mk2.

Only issue with HAL so far is their manufacturing quality. There has to be a serious quality overhaul. Which is where im all for IAF to take over or privatize it.

DRDO for all intents and purposes have done well. They have been a let down in IA related equipment such as food, essentials, winter clothing etc. true. But on all other fronts, they are streets ahead of HAL or OFB.

ISRO is the gem of all the govt entities. Star of the lot. Hopefully they get those satellites to be more potent. That of course lies with the drdo as well.

Rohan Naik

Country flag
Actually it’s ofb that has serious quality issues. HAL is slowly showcasing products worth induction. LCH is an example. It’s a good product overall and the IAF so far is very keen on acquiring it. Unusually, it shows a very good flight envelope and is very forgiving. Thanks to it’s lightness.
Rudra has a couple of issues. Mainly being that an ATGM can’t be mounted in it because the vibration levels are way too much.
The HAL designers have mentioned that they learnt their lessons from rudra and made sure vibration issues were not a problem in the LCH for any weapons integration.

Even the tejas is taking good shape. It’s daylights ahead of mig21 bisons and provides the iAf with really good options. We are integrating some good missile systems from the Astra, to the derby. There are confirmed discussion on whether to integrate amraam systems for Mk2.

Only issue with HAL so far is their manufacturing quality. There has to be a serious quality overhaul. Which is where im all for IAF to take over or privatize it.

DRDO for all intents and purposes have done well. They have been a let down in IA related equipment such as food, essentials, winter clothing etc. true. But on all other fronts, they are streets ahead of HAL or OFB.

ISRO is the gem of all the govt entities. Star of the lot. Hopefully they get those satellites to be more potent. That of course lies with the drdo as well.
Bhai. U are comparing Tejas with Bison? I mean a 4th generation fighter with 50 years old one?????????? And if that's the comparison or benchmark than I should be buried upside down

JBH22

Well what has prevented IAF from integrating the Spike or hellfire into their Rudra as they are operating those from 2013 ...

The problem is from both sides ...

The DRDO has very poor project management and lack of accountability while IAF is sitting indecisiveness they should have put their foot down much earlier with a deadline for home grown ATGM or else go for integration temporarily of spike or some other missile.
IAF is to be blamed. If you listen to the latest interview with Shiv Stood I was appalled by the reasoning of the chief. He states he want to move to western planes knowing the unit cost. If you see french or UK airforce they field max 300 planes. Now any sane persons when he does force planning he will first see his budget and try to wring max of it.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
So that means we should place the cart before the horse... arm without aiming just to satisfy someone's ego... things must not happen that not that way... let us put some other missiles for interim period without a DRDO veto and then when DRDO missiles are fully mature, integrate those...

This should have been done quite early and not "Jab Chiriya Chug Gayi Khet"..
Konsi chidiya chug gayi khet? LCH is here to stay for a long time, they are getting spike ER as ATGM for a stopgap. You think we should not go ahead with the purchase because DRDO is not developing HELINA in given timeline? That's ridiculous.

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
Bhai. U are comparing Tejas with Bison? I mean a 4th generation fighter with 50 years old one?????????? And if that's the comparison or benchmark than I should be buried upside down
I said bison, because thats what we have in our inventory. Compared to that lca is streets ahead. The lca is set to replace the bisons, their main requirement.
And you should know this by now, if you’ve been in this forum for long. The bison has the avionics of a 4thgen aircraft. It is by no means a 50 year old aircraft.

A fair comparison would be tejas to jf17, and the Mk2 to gripen.

noobmaster69

Country flag
Bison is a not a 50 year old thing!.... It's like comparing Mig-29s of the 80s to Mig-29UPG/SMT
not thread ralated so gonna give up now

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Sir it's Army Job to buy weapons that have passed their basic specifications. Weapons can be fastracked no problem.
If u place order now it will be take at least 1 years before a single squadron is formed, by that time all its weapons will be ready.
Guns and Rockets are already done as for ATGM we can mount anything from Spike, hellfire or NAG in a years time.

I don't know what u are complaing about
The moment Army has tried to buy ATGM at least as a temporary measure, DRDO comes in that if Army buys ATGM their hibernating Nag will get angry and there will be Nag Dosh. It has happened at least on ten occasions. Army was told to wait and that wit has taken last twenty years of Indian Army being without an ATGM. We all know that ut still you are asking like an innocent onlooker.

By the way, DRDO is so fed up with Nag that they have started calling it PROSPINA. Helina will also be abandoned in favour of some Dhruvastra... then Santa Singh Banta Singh have also entered to further confuse things. Everything is there on the scene to create a Maya but nothing to fire on the enemy.

HAL should provide an integrated platform on LCH to fire Javalin , Hellfire or Spike ER. The army is not the system integrator... they want a wholesome meal and people here are saying that they should eat only dry rice which would give them berry -berry.

Regarding squadron being formed, are not so many Rudra squadron suffering because of the same reasons. Why were promises made for the purchase of Rudra and why those have not been fulfilled. Why is DRDO and MoD sabotaging their own project and disarming the Army ?? Why have they been performing for ISI rather than for India ?

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
The moment Army has tried to buy ATGM at least as a temporary measure, DRDO comes in that if Army buys ATGM their hibernating Nag will get angry and there will be Nag Dosh. It has happened at least on ten occasions. Army was told to wait and that wit has taken last twenty years of Indian Army being without an ATGM. We all know that ut still you are asking like an innocent onlooker.

By the way, DRDO is so fed up with Nag that they have started calling it PROSPINA. Helina will also be abandoned in favour of some Dhruvastra... then Santa Singh Banta Singh have also entered to further confuse things. Everything is there on the scene to create a Maya but nothing to fire on the enemy.

HAL should provide an integrated platform on LCH to fire Javalin , Hellfire or Spike ER. The army is not the system integrator... they want a wholesome meal and people here are saying that they should eat only dry rice which would give them berry -berry.

Regarding squadron being formed, are not so many Rudra squadron suffering because of the same reasons. Why were promises made for the purchase of Rudra and why those have not been fulfilled. Why is DRDO and MoD sabotaging their own project and disarming the Army ?? Why have they been performing for ISI rather than for India ?
You makes sense......Rudras should not be unarmed........
Mod should put a strict time line to develop products.......
For some indigenous systems,just to save money our.... combat capability should not lapse...

johnq

The Nag and all of its derivatives would have performed well in Ladakh. The only time that even the first iteration of Nag had trouble was in the extreme heat of the Thar desert at the hottest time of the year. But all of the foreign heat seeking missiles mentioned would also have failed that trial. If you really want to develop a military industrial base, you have to give the support for the development of the product. Instead the import-lobby have always taken an adversarial position with the development of Indian weaponry, whether it's Arjun tank or Prahaar. Weapon development takes time, money and cooperation of the armed forces, but vested interests in imports have always killed weapon development in India because they don't want the import gravy train to stop. There is a lot of misinformation being spread throughout the Indian army in order to make Indian weapons look bad. You have to start somewhere if you want to establish a military industrial base.
The whole excuse that DRDO forced the army to stop ATGM order with LCH is complete BS. The DRDO doesn't have any power over the army or MoD. These are just excuses the import lobby in the MoD/army uses to delay the ordering of Indian weapons like the LCH, so they can instead order super expensive imports. And the gravy train continues . . .

johnq

I should add that all of Nag missile's initial issues have been fixed, and there is a longer range radar version which is superb.

johnq

Wrong thread, Nag has nothing to do with LCH, Helina is only tested on Rudras, being integrated to LCH for testing.
Sorry, I should've said Helina, the air-to ground version. But I believe the IIR seeker is the same in Nag, Prospina, Helina versions and the seeker works very well now.

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
Wow man. First off. Rudras are armed. With rocket pods and a nexter gun. Second off, rudras don’t really need ATGM’s. LCH does. Like I said both lch and rudras fill the role of mi26 as of now before the ATGM integration.
The LCH is mostly getting the spike we. It already fires the mistral air to air missiles.

My final point. This dude wants lch to have hellfire, spike AND javelin. Are you boinkers in the head man? It’s very clear to me that you have no idea of what you’re talking about. Tell me this. Are you here to spread misinformation? Cause an army dude would know how stupid that suggestion sounds.
Dude wants everything. Why not integrate Brahmos also on the lch while you’re at it? 🤣🤣🤣😂😂

Kya bakchodi hai🤣🤣🤣. Wholesome meal it seems. Why not integrate meteor, kornet, R37’s also on the lch then?

BC, even the apaches don’t fire javelins or spike. They only fire hellfire and rockets. Kya chutiyapa dude😝

You’re hell bent on dissing Hal DRDO bud. Not healthy. Thoda thand mast.
Thoda thand maar, not Mast*.
Stupi autocorrect

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
Konsi chidiya chug gayi khet? LCH is here to stay for a long time, they are getting spike ER as ATGM for a stopgap. You think we should not go ahead with the purchase because DRDO is not developing HELINA in given timeline? That's ridiculous.
LCH will be a boon to have in large numbers. Especially for anti armor role or serve as a rocket barrage.

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
LCH will be a boon to have in large numbers. Especially for anti armor role or serve as a rocket barrage.
How?

Please give us a detailed explanation with regards to it's benefits vis-a-vis airframe, engine, avionics, instruments, radio and armament. Then please support your claim of boon.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
How?

Please give us a detailed explanation with regards to it's benefits vis-a-vis airframe, engine, avionics, instruments, radio and armament. Then please support your claim of boon.
Cost. The most important one you missed out... Rest are nothing special (although it has more armour protection than Mi-35 concentrated on its small, sleek body while still being lightest).

Also its service-ceiling means if India ever indeed tries to take POK, our casulaties won't end up like Kargil war or Haji-pir battle.

Last edited:

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
How?

I can’t give you anything in terms of vis-a-vis.

But what I can tell you is for the first time, the Indian armed forces will transition to a CAS heavy force with large number of attack helos. Especially if that help is capable of firing multiple ATGM’s, in addition to air to air missiles and rocket pods.
If one can’t see the ‘boon’ in that strategy, then they’re not too big on CAS centric warfare.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles