HAL HJT-36 Sitara

MiG-29SMT

Country flag
This one is naval version , personally it is my favourite too
It is innovative, I mean with canards there are many aircraft, but LEVCONs only too.

Another thing I like about LCA now that I know very basic aerodynamics is for stealth and drag tailless are better.

Add thrust vectoring, well and you get an excellent aircraft pretty much that is the trend on 6th generation aircraft.

HJT-36 also looks very simplified, looks to make it economic, light.

I mean once you have it well developed it could be a good option for other nations.

Personally I like more civil aircraft in terms of collaboration because Mexico is not a militaristic nation, so commercial aircraft have more benefits for us.

But HJT-36 looks an aircraft that is light enough to use a not so powerful engine but still give descent performance, it is a cool aircraft

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Any update on the order? India is slowly building complete trainer ecosystem. Basic, Intermediate, 4th gen and later 5th gen aircraft’s.

I guess HJT has finished all testing requirements. Guess update might be provided this Awro india?

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Any update on the order? India is slowly building complete trainer ecosystem. Basic, Intermediate, 4th gen and later 5th gen aircraft’s.

I guess HJT has finished all testing requirements. Guess update might be provided this Awro india?

if that happens, aap ke munh mai ghee shakkar. This is a very ambitious project. First plane was realized in 2 years of freezing the design. However, some mistake happened in design. Had this come right, we would have a different training schedule. Failure of Sitara is an unfortunate part of our arms development.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
if that happens, aap ke munh mai ghee shakkar. This is a very ambitious project. First plane was realized in 2 years of freezing the design. However, some mistake happened in design. Had this come right, we would have a different training schedule. Failure of Sitara is an unfortunate part of our arms development.
Thing is with these trainers india should test indigenous engines. HJT has like 17KN engine. Reliability is an factor, but with these programmes we can slowly build our knowledge and experience as well.

Mistakes were rectified I think. It went through spin trials successfully. But I think they are planning to build more prototype as the existing one was modified and see how all the prototype are responding and if the build quality is repeatable.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Thing is with these trainers india should test indigenous engines. HJT has like 17KN engine. Reliability is an factor, but with these programmes we can slowly build our knowledge and experience as well.

Mistakes were rectified I think. It went through spin trials successfully. But I think they are planning to build more prototype as the existing one was modified and see how all the prototype are responding and if the build quality is repeatable.
HTFE-25 should be pushed towards completion, with that 25kN engine in hand we might be able to solve both HJT-36 and future trainers programs as well as potential upgrade for Jaguars

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
HTFE-25 should be pushed towards completion, with that 25kN engine in hand we might be able to solve both HJT-36 and future trainers programs as well as potential upgrade for Jaguars
We could make an different trainer with HTFE 25. The problem is lack of steps taken to integrate the engine with an platform. Lack of engine test bed is an problem.
Current HJT can’t work with this engine.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
1. Not 25 kn yet.

3. Overall still many years away.

We already have RR engine for BAE hawk should have used them for upgrade. I don't think they're serious about upgrade.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag

HTFE 25 is under trial and it produces full thrust. It is a very good engine without afterburner. We can use it to power HJT 36 and it is planned for that. This is more powerful engine which shall give additional capabilities to HJT 36 subject to the limits of Airframe.

Nazaria e Bakistan

Country flag
HTFE 25 is under trial and it produces full thrust. It is a very good engine without afterburner. We can use it to power HJT 36 and it is planned for that. This is more powerful engine which shall give additional capabilities to HJT 36 subject to the limits of Airframe.
HTFE is many years away from being certified as airworthy.
8 years minimum and more.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Sure but we have to add afterburner to HTFE 25 may be HTFE 28/45 will be very good for Jaguar.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
We could make an different trainer with HTFE 25. The problem is lack of steps taken to integrate the engine with an platform. Lack of engine test bed is an problem.
Current HJT can’t work with this engine.
If we can make it HTFE 28/45, we can make twin engine Tejas as well. If we can make it HTFE 35/55, we can make Naval Tejas out of that.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Sure but we have to add afterburner to HTFE 25 may be HTFE 28/45 will be very good for Jaguar.
frankly, i just don't like proposal of keeping those Jaguars flying at all; they are similar liability like how those Mirage-3 and Mirage-5s are on pakistan;
but unlike them we have yet to go mass manufacturing our multirole jet with solid numbers that can fulfill those roles and provide comfortable exit to those jets in next decade at least.

Instead, we are just mounting newer french-israeli etc systems on these existing jaguars and even fuckin' buying retiring ones from other users so they can be "canibalized" and spares be used in our existing fleet :facepalm:

there was this idea to extend its capabilities with that F-125 deal but UPA era govt ruined it with "no funds" things; and we eventually had to do DARIN-III with existing Adour, going far as putting that Elta AESA on it for same engines 🤷‍♂️ - and we have the gall to remind pakistan that their chinese AESA on JF-17 Block 3 is 'air cooled, consumes power from same RD-93 chini fork of engine hurr durr' and what not - at least their jet has got a powerful enough engine on it

most importantly, Jaguar thing happened because of Gandhi brothers internal tussle over which jet to be brought, one wanted Jaguar, other wanted Viggen... Air Force who previously operated Su-7 strike jets, Marut, Hunter and all, wanted Jaguar.
Eventually Jaguar faction won and the orders were placed;
but at same time, Franco-Anglo group itself switched to Panavia Tornado project and eventually that one became their prime strike jet for longer periods, still serving in better capabilities
while we took in ANOTHER strike jets with Mig-23 and Mig-27 in :facepalm:

Ideally our guys should have just bitten a bullet and took in Su-24 in large numbers and a small, Indian Army's Aviation Wing operated unit of some 50 some Su-25 in and be done with that.

Edit - one noteworthy positive with jaguar deal that we got was some subsystem that we locally developed here that later brits implemented in their jaguars without giving credits or so; we racked up things with them and eventually they caved in, giving much more tech regd jaguar to us when we brought assembly line here;
it was turned into similar thing to what we did with Hawk-i here in past; eventually helped our domestic aviation industry a lot.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles