HAL Advanced Light Helicopter Dhruv

Neil

Country flag
Pilots 'Save' Dhruv Copter In Flooded North

IAF Press Release: Frantic sound of warning whistles woke up the pilots resting in ITBP mess at Gauchar in Uttarakhand last night. It was a landslide warning. Everyone was asked to vacate the area. Sound of stones rolling down the hill created a scary rumble. Pilots, who were on DG ITBP commitment realised that their helicopter a ALH MK I, is parked at ITBP helipad and was likely to get damaged by the landslide. The pilots would not leave their machine behind and only alternative was to fly it out by night, in the drizzle and poor weather. Although Gauchar ALG was just 5-7 minutes flight, but there are no night aids, not even basic airfield lighting. Besides, rules do not permit night flying in the hills. Pilots then took advise from Task Force Commander, Air Cmde Rajesh Isser. After speaking to them the TFC was assured of the pilots confidence and ability to undertake the task. He briefed them for the mission and simultaneously activated other pilots and ATC at Gauchar to reach the ALG with torches and use vehicle lights to provide whatever assistance they could with the available resources.

At 2355 h the helicopter started in the dark drizzling valley and negotiating the weather, successfully relocated to Gauchar ALG. After having evacuated hundreds of pilgrims in the area it was now the turn of the helicopter to be evacuated, to safety. The seasoned pilots did not want to leave their machine to face the natures fury. By evacuating it, they once again raised the bar for the IAF motto 'Man Machine and Mission".

http://www.livefistdefence.com/

:thumb:

Neil

Country flag
Proud Of Dhruv In Flood Ops: HAL

HAL Statement: HAL-produced helicopters – Dhruv, Cheetah/Chetak – played a leading role in the biggest ever helicopter based rescue operation of Indian defence forces in flood and rain-hit areas of Uttarakhand recently. These copters deployed over flood and landslide affected areas in Uttarakhand performed effectively in dropping paratroopers, evacuating stranded people and in supply of food and medicines. The helicopters made hundreds of sorties in the high risk zone overcoming strong winds, visibility and with virtually no space for landing on high terrains. HAL teams were positioned at Deharadun and Delhi to ensure logistic support for the rescue operations.

Dhruv which can carry 16 passengers was the star performer. On many occasions, due to incessant rain IAF pilots could only use Dhruv as it was unsafe for other copters to land. Dhruv helicopters flew for nearly 630 hours during the operation and Cheetah/Chetak flew 520 hours.

"The indigenous helicopters pressed into service by the Army and the Air Force in flood-hit areas have proved their mettle in carrying out rescue and relief operations in highly inaccessible areas. We are proud of it", says Dr. R.K. Tyagi, Chairman, HAL.

HAL designed, developed and produced Dhruv helicopters have been delivered to the Indian Army, Air Force, Navy and the Coast Guard. They are also exported. The civil version of Dhruv has been certified by the DGCA and delivered to ONGC, Govt of Jharkand and the BSF.

The advanced technology features incorporated in the design of Dhruv include hingeless main rotor and bearingless tail rotor; integrated dynamic system encompassing main gear box and upper controls in a single housing; higher powered Shakti engines; integrated architecture display system (glass cockpit); duplex automatic flight control system; redundancy with twin engine, dual hydraulics and controls; 30 min dry running capability of gear boxes; crashworthy bottom structure, landing gear, crew seat and fuel tanks with self-sealing capability; extensive use of composite material on fuselage and rotor system; integration of role and optional equipments such as rescue hoist, stretchers and cargo-hook.

Dhurv also has advanced avionics (communication, navigation & surveillance), electrical mission systems. All this makes Dhruv, a versatile multi-mission, multi-role helicopter capable of operating in all-weather and extreme climate conditions ensuring high degree of reliability and survivability.

Based on the expertise of Dhruv, HAL undertook the Design & Development of Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) and Light Utility Helicopter (LUH).

http://www.livefistdefence.com/

nirranj

Country flag
Re: INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

No to both. Without catapults you aren't going to be carrying more than A2A missiles. Dhruv is not naval certified.
I was asking on the Carrier onboard delivery platform. Whether dhruv can be used for this duty?? transporting replenishment material to carriers from underway replenishment tankers, MEDVAC, mail delivery etc... I know without catapults we cannot go for a fixed wing COD (like greyhound) but we can go for a Rotary wing COD...

nirranj

Country flag

Thanks Sir...

You need to Post more replies to able to post links ..

========================

About the Vibration Issue >>

You can read more about it at here : Broadsword: The Indian Navy's Dhruv: falling between two stools

===============

Navy is most supportive to National Defense Industry, Navy wanted to have Sea King Capability from Dhruv which was not possible due to Light vs Heavy catagory, Hence Navy launched an RFI for Sea King replacement..

nirranj

Country flag
Does Our Army has any Doctrine that specifies the requirement of air assets for its range of operations???

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

I was asking on the Carrier onboard delivery platform. Whether dhruv can be used for this duty?? transporting replenishment material to carriers from underway replenishment tankers, MEDVAC, mail delivery etc... I know without catapults we cannot go for a fixed wing COD (like greyhound) but we can go for a Rotary wing COD...
Negative, Dhruv undercarriage is not rated for deck landings.

Defcon 1

Country flag
The real issue with Dhruv was not just about folding blades but the under powered engines for dunking ops. This helo was found unfit for autohover, under powered to carry dunking sonar and torpedos and ASMs. The LCH might find its way on our LPDs.
Dhruv now has more powerful engine and manual folding of rotors in very short time is being proposed by HAL. Let us see what IN has to say to the more powerful engined Dhruv.
BTW, why can't HAL make a three engined Dhruv for IN? That will solve all objections of IN. That will provide that much needed capacity for torpedos, range/endurance and ASMs as it will allow for a higher take off weight. The cabin space is adequate for putting various sensors. Such a version will also meet the need of VVIP travel.
Sirji I believe you are wrong. IN intially completely rejected Dhruv because of non-foldable rotor blades, DRDO developed manually foldable rotor blades but IN wanted automatically folding rotor blades. Since then Dhruv has not seen service. If engine was the main issue, then IN should have accepted Dhruv after the Shakti engine was developed.

Dinesh_Kumar

This saga of Naval Dhruv is puzzling :

Contemporary Helos, like Westland Lynx (Naval version) are getting good export success, with UK, South Korea, Germany and France , among others ordering the type.
Dhruv looks better than the Lynx on paper, in most respects.
With High Power Shakthi engines, and maybe bigger fuel tanks for endurance, some shortcomings can be addressed.Automatic Folding Rotor Blades also seems possible, the Brits have vendors for designing and supplying such items. Lynx has advertised payload of 1480 kg / 8 people maximum. Dhruv certainly better (I'm thinking Dunking Sonar and Torpedo weight, along with weather radar)
It will never really replace a Sea King, but maybe supplement it.
SAR and Commando roles can be done by a Naval Dhruv, along with light ASW , with heavy duty ASW being done by Sea King.
Some of smaller frigates / Destroyers, etc. can use the bird instead of hoary old Cheetah / Cheetah presently being flogged.

Vibrations and hover performance may be the actual reasons why not yet inducted. I understand vibration issue somewhat in control now.

Hell, if UK and South Korea find it good enough, we too can use a comparable product.

Sirji I believe you are wrong. IN intially completely rejected Dhruv because of non-foldable rotor blades, DRDO developed manually foldable rotor blades but IN wanted automatically folding rotor blades. Since then Dhruv has not seen service. If engine was the main issue, then IN should have accepted Dhruv after the Shakti engine was developed.

agentperry

with respect to exporting arms.-
it depends upon govt pro activeness and good advertising agency.

both india lacks, rest nothing wrong with the product

Decklander

While converting to Sea Harriers we have to fly Chetak for 10 hrs to learn hovering and also do small deck landings on moving ships. We are always accompanied by an instructor and we only learn the flying tricks and not the complete aircraft. In my first flight on helos, I was not able to control the chetak within even the 400mx200m south apron of hansa. But in the second flight I did outstandingly well as I did nearly 15 hrs of chair flying with two hockey sticks in my hand acting as cyclic and collective controls of the helo with the two legs of the study table acting as rudder controls. If you guys do not laugh at me, I wish to tell you all that I am shit scared of flying in a helo. Inspite of two ejections and a long carrear as fighter pilot, I am scared of this goddamn machine. It is as funny as having guts to kill a lion with bare hands and being scared of a rabbit.

@Decklander Sir
How is it like to land a harrier on the deck, could you share your first experience? Why is it said to be one of the toughest landings?

Last edited by a moderator:

Decklander

@Decklander Sir
How is it like to land a harrier on the deck, could you share your first experience? Why is it said to be one of the toughest landings?
Vertical landing on deck is much easy compared to vertical landing on shore. On deck we get winds 12 o clock and the downwash gets washed away so no power drop due to hot gas injection at last minute. But on shore winds can be from any direction and slowing the ac down from 120 kts to 30kts is the trickiest part as between these speeds it can just yaw out of contrrol and crash nose down if winds are not 12 o clock. In a normal aircraft you have to just adjust power to maintain your alpha but in this ac you have to do a lot of work with stick, nozzles and thrust to get it right everytime. Your own brain has to work faster than the fastest computer of the world to get it right in final 10 feet of vertical landing as it just drops from about 5 ft when hot gases start getting into the intakes due to recirculation/swirl caused by the downblast of nozzles.

Last edited by a moderator:

p2prada

Vertical landing on deck is much easy compared to vertical landing on shore. On deck we get winds 12 o clock and the downwash gets washed away so no power drop due to hot gas injection at last minute. But on shore winds can be from any direction and slowing the ac down from 120 kts to 30kts is the trickiest part as between these speeds it can just yaw out of contrrol and crash nose down if winds are not 12 o clock. In a normal aircraft you have to just adjust power to maintain your alpha but in this ac you have to do a lot of work with stick, nozzles and thrust to get it right everytime. Your own brain has to work faster than the fastest computer of the world to get it right in final 10 feet of vertical landing as it just drops from about 5 ft when hot gases start getting into the intakes due to recirculation/swirl caused by the downblast of nozzles.
One of the reasons why future landings will be automated.

Articles