Gulab Singh's cruelty and Crushing of Sudhan Musalman Rebellion

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
This post is about the history of 1937 Pahari rebellion in Poonch against the Sikh/Dogra rule by Dhund Abbasis, Sudhans and Maldiyal mughals. This will also show the utmost brutal tactics employed by Gulab Singh Dogra against the rebels. The article is crudely written:

Sardar Shams Khan was the Raja (ruler) of Poonch(1826-1837) at the time of Aap-raji
or Self-rule (just before the foundation of modern state of Jammu and Kashmir by
Gulab Singh). Sardar Rajwali was the nephew of the Shams Khan , gallant Kashmiri
warrior who went into revolt against Gulab singh along with the Sudhan and other
Pahari tribes in November1837. During this revolt, Sabz Ali and Mallee Khan, (both Sudhan
Pathan) along with many companions were flayed alive in Mang (Palandri,
Sudhnuti).
Hundreds of Kashmiri children and women were taken to Jammu as
prisoner.
Shams Khan and Rajwali were killed by a traitor Nur Khan Terola in the
Daigwal village. The heads and Skin of all the rebels were hung of a tree
located in Mang( palandri, Azad Kashmir) which is still present
there;

a15da980b14e15b8daf937cfb2c28b78.jpg

Located in Mang this monument reminds of the henious
events of 1832 when the local people of Mang rebelled against the Sikh rule of
Ranjeet Singh. At the time, Ghulab Singh was a General in his army and was
responsible for supressing any descent. In 1832 there was a rebellion in and
around Mang by the local people and Ghulab Singh was sent to deal with it. M L
Kapur in his book ‘the history of jammu & Kashmir’ mentions, "to quell
the rebellion in Poonch and Chibbhal territory Ghulab Singh returning from
Peshawar and after some desultory warfare, the rebels were completely routed.
Many of them were captured, and treated with vengeance; their hands and feet
were severed by axes, while skins of Sardar Mali Khan and Sardar Sabaz Ali Khan,
two of the close accomplices of Shams-ud-Din, were peeled off their bodies, and
their heads were hung on gallows in a crossing as a warning to others. Hands
were ultimately laid on the chief rebel as well, and his head was cut off." The
rebels were hung on this very tree featured here and skinned alive. The practice
of skinning alive rebels continued for some time."

British account:

https://books.google.com.au/books?i...ei=QEUcVMmdDIy78gXbnIKADA#v=onepage&q&f=false

@punjab47

Last edited:

Bornubus

Maharaja Gulab Singh Proud Son of Bharat,GOI honored him by issue a Postal Ticket after his name.
Maharaja-Gulab-Singh.jpg

Last edited:

Bornubus

*Kashmir: Gulab Sing; by Charles Stewart Hardinge, 1847
hardinge1847.jpg

Bornubus

Why kashmiris want freedom from India

Sardar Shams Khan was the Raja (ruler) of Poonch(1826-1837) at the time of Aap-raji
or Self-rule (just before the foundation of modern state of Jammu and Kashmir by
Gulab Singh). Sardar Rajwali was the nephew of the Shams Khan , gallant Kashmiri
warrior who went into revolt against Gulab singh along with the Sudhan and other
Pahari tribes in November1832. During this revolt, Sabz Ali and Mallee Khan, (both Sudhan
Pathan) along with many companions were flayed alive in Mang (Palandri,
Sudhnuti). Hundreds of Kashmiri children and women were taken to Jammu as
prisoner. Shams Khan and Rajwali were killed by a traitor Nur Khan Terola in the
Daigwal village. The heads and Skin of all the martyrs were hung of a tree
located in Mang( palandri, Azad Kashmir) which is still present
there.
Located in Mang this monument reminds of the henious
events of 1832 when the local people of Mang rebelled against the Sikh rule of
Ranjeet Singh. At the time, Ghulab Singh was a General in his army and was
responsible for supressing any descent. In 1832 there was a rebellion in and
around Mang by the local people and Ghulab Singh was sent to deal with it. M L
Kapur in his book ‘the history of jammu & Kashmir’ mentions, "to quell
the rebellion in Poonch and Chibbhal territory Ghulab Singh returning from
Peshawar and after some desultory warfare, the rebels were completely routed.
Many of them were captured, and treated with vengeance; their hands and feet
were severed by axes, while skins of Sardar Mali Khan and Sardar Sabaz Ali Khan,
two of the close accomplices of Shams-ud-Din, were peeled off their bodies, and
their heads were hung on gallows in a crossing as a warning to others. Hands
were ultimately laid on the chief rebel as well, and his head was cut off." The
rebels were hung on this very tree featured here and skinned alive. The practice
of skinning alive rebels continued for some time."
In Pahari language the story of these gallant heroes of Kashmir is sung and known as Waar or
ballad, with the name Shams Khan, Sabz Ali teh Mallee Khan née waar. Story of these warriors of Kashmir
has been narrated in form of a poem to pay remember these great warriors and to pay tribute to the great sacrifice for Freedom. The English translation by Bawa Satinder Singh produced from his book JammuFox is given below for
your information.
Background Information: The Warr (ballad) is a type of poem in Pahari language of Kashmir. existing
in shape of folk songs narrating the events of some war. A type of history recording or paying tributes to the heroes is an example of the resistant literature of Kashmir. This particular warr is about the event of flaying alive
of the leaders of the resistance against Gulab Singh in Mang (Distt.Palandri) about 184 years ago. In 1836 Dogra Raja Gulam Singh was the ruler of Kashmir and his era was known for the oppression and tyranny against the
innocent and common people, particularly on the muslims of jammu & Kashmir. Poonch was the only region where Ghulab Singh was unable to take control entirely. Poonch was, at that time, under the rule of Shams Ali Khan who was
from the Maldiyal Tribe. He went to Jammu to meet Ghulam Singh in 1837.It starts with the discussion which took plave between the Shams Khan and Ghulab sigh was as follow :
Shams te Malli Sabz Ali di Warr

Praised be the lord and his black-robed prophet(P.B.U.H).Praised be the saint of Baghdad who rescued the wrecked ships from the sea.Great was the Raja Rustam, lord of all Poonch, after him was born Raj Wali Shams khan the warrior, who from his youth dreamt of the independence. He mounted a black stallion and rode to Jammu. Ghulab singh inquired, "you are soldier? from what state?" "O,Raja" said Shams, "Poonch is my land and I am a warrior of the Maldyal tribe" And Gulab Singh bestowed on him a robe of honor, a horse and a pair of gold bangles.The Shams Khan daringly demanded, "hand over the administration of Poonch to me" the Raja agreed but warned him, "Do not steal my revenues" And Shams promised to remit the taxes faithfully. Shams returned home, opened free kitchens for the poor and arranged feasts. But the soon the village elders and accountants met to determined the amount of revenue owed to Gulab Singh. "thirty six thousands rupees "the told Shams, "are due". Stung by such oppressive taxation, Shams and his nephew Raj wali decided to rebel. " Let us recruit a force of valiant soldiers", they said. What a wonderful pair God had created in Shams and Raj Wali. The forts of Tatwala and Bhalangai wala Shams took by storm, A dozen other fortresses fell and Tara Singh Dogra was captured, He begged for mercy in the name of God and
offered submission. Shams khan then sent emissaries to the tribe of Kakka and Bamba, which assured Shams of their full support. When news of revolt reached Gulab Singh, he became exceedingly angry. And commanded Dewan Dhannoo with five hundreds soldiers to march Poonch. Shams advanced to meet him. Looking scornfully at the Dogra commander he exclaimed, "I know you are Dewan Dhannoo , But I am Shams Khan the warrior". "I shall give you such a battle that people will sing tale about it", "I shall rip you apart with my sword and scatter your limbs around".

Dewan Dhannoo beat a hasty retreat down the hill from Chappra and galloped back to Jammu, there he raised a hue and cry and told Gulab Singh, "O Raja, if you remain at Jammu, you shall have to wash your hands of Poonch, "Shams has risen to open rebellion." When Gulab Singh heard this, he trembled with rage. And
at once ordered his forces to return from Kishtwar. He recruited additional soldiers and collected laborers to work as porters; The iron of the blacksmiths was confiscated for casting shells; The yarn of the weavers was taken for making
tents. Gulab Singh himself assumed command and hastened to Poonch. Hearing this many of camp followers deserted Shams. The raja first marched to Pindi Jhelum and then entered Poonch. His other camps were established at the village of Mang and Bagh, respectively. He flayed alive Malli and Sabz Ali and stuffed their skins with straw atMang, Even innocent young children he flayed alive. Then the raja searched for Shams and questioned Muzaffar Khan of Uri, Who feigned complete ignorance to save his own skin. But fate led Shams and Rajwali to the village of Dhagwala Where Nur Khan Terola, the chief, invited them to dinner. In order to ensnare and disarm them. At midnight Raj Wali woke and cried, " O, Uncle ! I had a terrible dream. I have seen myself being served a dish full of blood. " Surely it is a sign that our death is near." The ill-omened dream foretold the truth; they were betrayed. Shams felt deep chagrin at the way he had been tricked, And in the dead of night tried to escape over the wall, But Nur Khan saw him and dragged him down. The cornered rebel looked to the left and looked to the right but no friend did he find. Alas! Who could be his ally at this, his final hour? Shams turned to the Nur Khan and cried, O, Brother! You seem
determined to commit this treachery. " But remember that valiant soldiers are not afraid to sacrifice their lives for the sake of holy Quran"
His enemies remained unmoved. They beheaded Shams and Raj Wali and carried their
heads to Bagh. There Gulab Singh saw the severed heads and was filled with joy.
Praise be to your mother,
O, Shams Khan, A son like you no other mother will ever bear.
After this a huge number of Maldyal warriors, elders, Children
And Women were brutely assassinated in order to teach the lesson to other
tribes. A name not to fogotten is the sardar Kala Khan whose bravery in poonch
district was recognised by Indian commander in 1947 and was giving command of 50
soldiers in 1947, his nephew now reside in Canada and teaches flying in Manitoba
Canada.

This historical incident is a clear evidence of the fact the Kashmiris wanted to get Freedom from the Hindu Rule from more than 170 years ago even before the India attained its freedom from Britishers. Kashmiris never accepted itself as a Part of India and the history itself is the witness of that fact.

Bornubus

Mods please change title to Gulab Singh's Dharmic actions in crushing Sudhan Musalman Rebellion.

:india2::balleballe:
Actually sudhans were Pashtuns i forgot to mention in the title,who had no business in kashmir.

Last edited:

neatgye

Country flag
Actually sudhans were Pashtuns i forgot to mention in the title,who had no business in kashmir.
Actually Sudhun are not Pathan, but actually Mohyal Chibh Brahmin converts.
read this pleasehttps://how2havefun.com/pakistan-news/origin-sudhan-kashmir-pakistan

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles