Gujarat govt issues Rs 2,979-cr work order to L&T for Statue of Unity

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
The Gujarat government today issued work order of Rs 2,979 crore to one of India's largest engineering firm Larsen & Toubro (L&T) for constructing world's tallest statue -- The Statue of Unity-- one of the pet projects of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The 182 meter statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel is being built as a tribute to the 'Iron Man' of India and to popularise his thoughts and ideology. The project was floated by Modi on October 31, 2013, the birth anniversary of Sardar Patel.
The statue that will be double the size of 'Statue of Liberty' in US and four times that of 'Christ the Redeemer' in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, will be built on the Sadhu island, approximately 3.5 km south of Sardar Sarovar Dam at Kevadia in the Narmada district of Gujarat. The construction of the statue along with exhibition hall, man-made lake and bridge connecting the Sadhu island with the mainland, hotel and convention centre, is likely to be completed in the next 42 months.

The work order was issued to L&T in presence of Gujarat chief minister Anandiben Patel and her entire cabinet today at a function held in Gandhinagar. L&T's member of the board and senior executive vice president (infrastructure and construction), S N Subrahmanyan, received the work order on behalf of the company from K Srinivasan, member secretary, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Rashtriya Ekta Trust (SVPRET), the nodal agency for execution of the entire project.

Speaking on the occasion Patel said that the iconic structure and additional facilities being set up in the predominantly tribal area will play an important role in socio-economic development of the region. "This unique location will prove beneficial for eco-tourism and regional development. This icon-based development will also help generate local employment for the people in Kevadia," she said. The completion of the bidding process within a year of laying the foundation stone shows the commitment of the state government towards the project.

L&T's Subrahmanyan said, "Our work begins from today itself with the issuance of the work order. This is a very unique and complex project so first six months will be spent for design related work and the rest (36 months) for construction." He further said that the statue will be made up of steel frame on which around 13,000 bronze panels will be fitted. At about 152 meters there will be a viewing gallery where over 200 people can simultaneously stand and view the Sardar Sarovar Dam, he said, adding that more than 60,000 tonne of steel will be used in building the entire statue.

Another unique thing about the statue is that it will be made out of iron collected from farmers across India. Modi had launched the massive iron collection drive last year with senior state ministers and bureaucrats visiting states across the country and collecting a piece of iron from around 700,000 villages. This pieces will be melted and used for the construct of the memorial.

The first phase of the Statue of Unity project will involve construction of the main statue, a bridge connecting the statue to the river bank and reconstruction of the 12-kms road along the bank. The entire project will include the statue, a memorial park at the base of the statue, an artificial reservoir between the Dam and Garudeshwar town and a visitor facilitation centre and reception desk at Kevadia. The total height of the statue from the base (or reduce level) will be 240 meters, which includes base level of 58 meters.

Of the total contract of Rs 2,979 crore Rs 1,347 crore was for building the statue, Rs 235 crore for constructing exhibition centre and convention centre, Rs 134 crore for research and development centres and Rs 83 crore for building the bridge connecting memorial with the mainland.

According to the agreement, L&T will maintain and manage the project site for 15 year after completion of construction for which they will be paid a sum of Rs 657 crore over the period.

Key Features of Statue of Unity project

Statue Height: 182 meters

Concrete: 75,000 cubic meter

Structured steel: 5,700 metric tonne

Reinforced steel: 18,500 metric tonne

Bronze sheets: 22,500 metric tonne

Expected tourists: 2.5 million per annum

Year of completion: 2018

Other features

* Museum and audio-visual department depicting the life and times of Sardar Vallabhbai Patel.

* A laser, light and sound show on the efforts of unification of India.

* Research centre dedicated to the research and development of subjects close to Sardar Patel's heart like good governance and agriculture development. Here, subjects like water management and tribal development will also be studied and researched.

-- Will have world's fastest elevators to keep the visitor's tour engaging

-- The three-level base of the Statue - exhibit floor, mezzanine and roof will contains the memorial garden and a large continuous exhibition hall that will be developed as a visitor attraction - focusing on the contributions of Sardar Patel

Gujarat govt issues Rs 2,979 cr work order to L&T for 'Statue of Unit' | Business Standard News

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Re: Gujarat govt issues Rs 2,979-cr work order to L&T for Statue of Un

Very Good. Now this statue will be the biggest tourist attraction site and it might give some tribute to the great Ironman of India. Nobody can match to him.

EXPERT

see the waste of money in UP, where people are building elephants and statues of themselves and their party leaders.

that's what we call as Waste of money. .

iNDiAN.96

Troll Soldier
Country flag

In UP one can waste crores on Elephants in park then why not one put down crores for Iron man of India. And in return it will become famous tourist destination.

mikhail

Country flag

so much money for a statue is such a waste.
It's not a wastage of money as far as I am concerned.Look mate,here we are talking about making a statue of none other than the lone "Ironman" of India,the man who is the sole reason why Junagarh,Hyderabad,J&K and countless other smaller princely states became a part of the Union of India.He is our "Bismarck" and believe me we owe a lot to this true son of the soil.It's because of men like him that a Marathi like you and a Bengali like me call ourselves as Indians today.Anyway it's better to spend money in building a statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel as it will serve as a source of inspriation to countless budding nationalists in the coming decades.Plus it will also generate a substantial revenue from all those tourists who are going to visit it once it's completed.

Kshatriya87

Country flag

42 months. Hope they meet the target. Desperately waiting to see it.:thumb:

Ashutosh Lokhande

It's not a wastage of money as far as I am concerned.Look mate,here we are talking about making a statue of none other than the lone "Ironman" of India,the man who is the sole reason why Junagarh,Hyderabad,J&K and countless other smaller princely states became a part of the Union of India.He is our "Bismarck" and believe me we owe a lot to this true son of the soil.It's because of men like him that a Marathi like you and a Bengali like me call ourselves as Indians today.Anyway it's better to spend money in building a statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel as it will serve as a source of inspriation to countless budding nationalists in the coming decades.Plus it will also generate a substantial revenue from all those tourists who are going to visit it once it's completed.
Dont get me wrong am not against the statue. i just wanted them to not spend so much money on a Statue. now may that statue be of sardar patel or shivaji maharaj or any other.

Last edited:

Ashutosh Lokhande

It is a Tourism center which will generate revenue !!
hope it generate the revenue of as much as the amount is put in it to build the statue. in a resonable time frame.

Srinivas_K

Country flag

hope it generate the revenue of as much as the amount is put in it to build the statue. in a resonable time frame.

It is expected to generate lot of Income, This project also comes into Tourism development.

Tourism is a multi Billion dollar industry !!

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag

Dont get me wrong am not against the statue. i just wanted them to not spend so much money on a Statue. now may that statue be of sardar patel or shivaji maharaj or any other.
2-3000 crore is actually small amount nowadays :D btw, this statue will be hub of tourism just like proposal of Shivaji Maharaj's statue in Arabian Sea.

ninja85

its a break away from,statues of 'looter family' of india who robbed india and still doing that and so called father of nation who helped create paki country for muslims and also helped to keep muslims in india.

Last edited:

SANITY

so much money for a statue is such a waste.
Its absolute waste of national fund. Don't understand what our politicians try to prove by making staues of our past leaders while ignoring the actual principles and values they left for us. I don't think mr. Patel himself would have agreed for such a thing. I guess now, every new government would want a new statue of all our national heroes of record breaking hight and sums. Really stupid, if these leaders are really respected, then their ethics, attitude and principles for serving humanity shoud be adopted rather than building statues. Those leaders, if had been alive today, would be rather embarrased at these stupidity and ask the funds be used at right places but it is a bigger mean of playing politics and less of a tribute.

SANITY

its a break away from,statues of 'looter family' of india who robbed india and still doing that and so called father of nation who helped create paki country for muslims and also helped to keep muslims in india.
Whom you calling robbers dumbhead. The so called father of the nation is the reason that you live in a free nation today. Had it not been them, you would still be licking British boots today.

What you call your parents when they disagree with you? Thieves?

SANITY

one more khangress supporter,
well you can lick khangressi boots as you like,idiot

oh and btw i believe that idiot is not the reason india is free.
Your answer shows your wisdom. I won't argue with you since you believe the man who led the fight for freedom with non-violence and not just Indian but the world recognises him and credits him for his role in freedom, the US president sees him as role model and even our PM Modi bows to him. We all must be realfools. Have a nice day, bud.

IBSA

Country flag

I'm in favor of Sardar Patel giant statue. I think a country shall preserve the memory of its heros either through monuments, either through museums, history lessons, etc.

This statue also can to attract tourists for its region and aid to develop it and generate rent for its citizens

Furthermore, such big statue could become an India national symbol, a reason for country's pride, and an exhibition of Indian engineering capabilities. India lives a good economical momentum, the money is more than enough, and in such good times any country shall seek to show for world the proofs of its greatness

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles