Guantanamo Bay-like prison to be built in Jammu and Kashmir, CM Mufti seeks Rs 7 crore from Centre

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Guantanamo Bay-like prison to be built in Jammu and Kashmir, CM Mufti seeks Rs 7 crore from Centre

New Delhi: The Jammu and Kashmir government has sought Rs 7 crore from the Centre to build a high-security prison exclusively for terrorists like the one in Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.
The Centre had asked Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti to build a separate jail in Srinagar to imprison convicted terrorists from Pakistan and those facing trial in terror cases in the wake of a report which said that terror convicts inside the jails are likely to persuade and radicalise petty criminals.
"The J&K government has agreed to the Centre's proposal and asked for Rs 7 crore last month (April) to build a separate jail exclusively for terrorists like the one in Guantanamo," The Telegraph has quoted a source in the Union Home Ministry as saying in May.
It further quoted a senior Home Ministry official as saying: “The security agencies had cited some examples where ordinary criminals joined terror outfits after being radicalised by terrorists inside jails".
The report came a day after a Budgam court on May 25 came down heavily on the Jammu and Kashmir Police for what it called the “extra-judicial detention” of separatist leader Masarat Alam and added that “situations like Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo Bay cannot be tolerated” in India.
In 2015, the Home Ministry had urged state governments to install CCTV cameras and mobile-phone jammers inside jails and keep a tab on high-risk prisoners.
@Kshatriya87 @sayareakd @Superdefender @Bornubus @A chauhan

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Just 7 crores? I do not think you'll be able to build a high security prison complete with all facilities in that price range.

But anyways, its a good news.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Just 7 crores? I do not think you'll be able to build a high security prison complete with all facilities in that price range.

But anyways, its a good news.
I guess possible if not making a monster size jail like Tihar.:hmm:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
I wold like some Porki flag raising muzzies to be the guest of this prison so that they may be deradicalized in few month of the time.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
I guess possible if not making a monster size jail like Tihar.:hmm:
Not sure dude. I'm a civil engineer. A prison is not a civilian structure. Everything from its basements, walls, beams, columns are over-engineered. Wall thickness is more. Surrounding grounds and then high fences as well. Not to mention the cameras, computers, sirens, motion sensors (if they install at all) etc. will further increase the cost.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I wold like some Porki flag raising muzzies to be the guest of this prison so that they may be deradicalized in few month of the time.
I wish they also torcher muzzies like happens to prisoners in Guantanamo.
You know, I'm a heartless and kindless person for muzzies. :devil:
Not sure dude. I'm a civil engineer. A prison is not a civilian structure. Everything from its basements, walls, beams, columns are over-engineered. Wall thickness is more. Surrounding grounds and then high fences as well. Not to mention the cameras, computers, sirens, motion sensors (if they install at all) etc. will further increase the cost.
7 crore is official cost buddy.
And who knows what they have, they have launched Mgy-1 at cost of Rs.4/km.:p

pmaitra

Not a great idea.

• This will result in waste of money in construction, manning, and maintenance of the facility. I wonder whether construction and hardware companies favourable to PDP will get all the contracts.
  • It will only motivate the terrorists to hijack our airliners in order to free the prisoners.
  • In principle, I am not against rehabilitation of the local insurgents, but I am not sure whether it is practical.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
A GitMo like prison can only be built in a GitMo-like area (because it has the obvious advantage of there being nowhere to go if someone even slips past the walls).

It should be built in the Andamans. Good luck for Kashmiri Hadjis and Pakis to try to live in sub-tropical 45C+100% humidity, and trying to escape from choppy, cyclone-prone waters.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
But Andaman is a nice tourist spot. Why disturb them? :D
There are quite a few significantly large islands that tourists don't visit. You could develop one such island with a maximum-security prison, and an Indian Navy base with an 8000' runway. This should double up as runway for prisoner-transport.

pmaitra

It should be built in the Andamans. Good luck for Kashmiri Hadjis and Pakis to try to live in sub-tropical 45C+100% humidity, and trying to escape from choppy, cyclone-prone waters.
A&N Islands are in the tropics. Subtropical would be north of the Tropic of Cancer (or south of Tropic of Capricorn).

On a different note, humans will get used to any place on earth.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
There are quite a few significantly large islands that tourists don't visit. You could develop one such island with a maximum-security prison, and an Indian Navy base with an 8000' runway. This should double up as runway for prisoner-transport.
Or just send the prisoners to the Island of Jarawa tribes. They will take care.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Or just send the prisoners to the Island of Jarawa tribes. They will take care.
Probably you mean Sentinalese?

Jarawas are not very hostile these days. Besides Jarawa are not immune to the many of the diseases of modern man. I have also heard from some people that they die when they eat our foods (like bread.)

The sentinelese on the other hand are fiercely denying all contact. They are probably the only uncontacted tribe in india and among the last in the world (there are others in brazil etc)

But in any case it is not that these people are dangerous to modern man, it is the other way around. It is the indian govt. which prevents unwanted contact with the sentinelese tribe because it will lead to their extinction.

Non-invasive research must be done on these people because these people may be the earliest humans, maybe changing Out of Africa (OOA) Hypothesis.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Probably you mean Sentinalese?

Jarawas are not very hostile these days. Besides Jarawa are not immune to the many of the diseases of modern man. I have also heard from some people that they die when they eat our foods (like bread.)

The sentinelese on the other hand are fiercely denying all contact. They are probably the only uncontacted tribe in india and among the last in the world (there are others in brazil etc)

But in any case it is not that these people are dangerous to modern man, it is the other way around. It is the indian govt. which prevents unwanted contact with the sentinelese tribe because it will lead to their extinction.

Non-invasive research must be done on these people because these people may be the earliest humans, maybe changing Out of Africa (OOA) Hypothesis.
OK. Let's not take this thread to tribes. Only made that post knowing their highly insecure nature to any foreigners.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles