Great Nicobar Development Project - News & Updates

abingdonboy

Country flag

Environment clearance for Great Nicobar port done. This is the 2nd transhipment port (where biggest container ships can dock), after the under construction Kerala one.

@Shuturmurg
The amount of protests that will come up is going to will be disturbing. Just for a few trees they decimated them entire Mumbai metro project. The scope of this work along with all the foreign interests it will mess with in the region is sure to see ridiculous amounts of disruption. I hope the counter intel folks in IB and R&AW are being told to specifically monitor it

Shuturmurg

Country flag
The amount of protests that will come up is going to will be disturbing. Just for a few trees they decimated them entire Mumbai metro project. The scope of this work along with all the foreign interests it will mess with in the region is sure to see ridiculous amounts of disruption. I hope the counter intel folks in IB and R&AW are being told to specifically monitor it
Those people won't reach nicobar, so won't be able to stop work. For eg: Work on lower Subhansiri dam is almost done during covid lockdown, because no one can reach there during lockdowns. Reaching Nicobar is harder.

shade

Country flag
Can't happen on the Island itself unless they somehow ferry loads of paid protestors to the islands without the security/navy noticing, I mean it could happen but unlikely.

Ungah bungah tribals don't know what is "protesting" and the other Indic folks on the island are normal people who will probably be benefited.

It's good they're finally paying attention to frontier parts of the country like AP and Andaman Nicobar.
The Islands particularly should be colonized by various Indic folks from all around the country, mainly Hindu.

Dr_Deep

Country flag
In its Indo-Pacific Strategy, US wants India to go ahead and build the port in order to counter Chinese Influence in the ASEAN Region. So if US is backing then, we wont see much hue and cry for it. Plus the Nicobar area is a sensitive zone for the Navy..protest karne walo ki naiya doob jaigi..

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Had this been taken care of decades ago, undoubtedly today Nicobar Islands would’ve looked like Hong Kong and Singapore.
It SHOULD NOT look like Singapore or Hong Kong. Do you know the amount of ecological damage these countries have done to their biosphere? Horrible. Singapore doesn't have to worry about coral reefs because it's a deep-water island (hence you can see ships being parked so close to the coast). A similar set up for Hong Kong.

But Andaman and Nicobar are coral reef islands with a very vulnerable ecology. The BEST that we can do is to make it look like Mauritius and Maldives. Tourism, services and communications industry is the best that can be done there.

The topography requires very different considerations as compared to Hong Kong and Singapore.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
It SHOULD NOT look like Singapore or Hong Kong. Do you know the amount of ecological damage these countries have done to their biosphere? Horrible. Singapore doesn't have to worry about coral reefs because it's a deep-water island (hence you can see ships being parked so close to the coast). A similar set up for Hong Kong.

But Andaman and Nicobar are coral reef islands with a very vulnerable ecology. The BEST that we can do is to make it look like Mauritius and Maldives. Tourism, services and communications industry is the best that can be done there.

The topography requires very different considerations as compared to Hong Kong and Singapore.
A 14.2 million TEU mega deep sea port is under construction over there, so no, its being built taking competition to singapore in consideration.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
A 14.2 million TEU mega deep sea port is under construction over there, so no, its being built taking competition to singapore in consideration.
I haven't really studied the topography in detail but from whatever limited I know, the islands are not naturally deep-water harbours. Which means that a lot environmental hell would have to be unleashed to make them deep-water container ports.

Development is welcome but as an Indian from an environmentally-sensitive Himalayan state, I am opposed to making this into another Singapore/Hong Kong. The Mauritius/Seychelles model would be far better for the islands than having deep-water ports on that island.

Why not make that somewhere around Odisha or Andhra where there are enough naturally-occurring harbours?

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
I haven't really studied the topography in detail but from whatever limited I know, the islands are not naturally deep-water harbours. Which means that a lot environmental hell would have to be unleashed to make them deep-water container ports.

Development is welcome but as an Indian from an environmentally-sensitive Himalayan state, I am opposed to making this into another Singapore/Hong Kong. The Mauritius/Seychelles model would be far better for the islands than having deep-water ports on that island.

Why not make that somewhere around Odisha or Andhra where there are enough naturally-occurring harbours?
These are not built in Andhra or Odisha because Great Nicobar is at a strategic location, in the middle of the busiest shipping lanes on earth.

abingdonboy

Country flag

This is the kind of thinking that has left india behind, let nations like China and even Vietnam eat India’s lunch and ensured india is always the land of promise but nothing else

you have to make use of what you’ve got. Leaving assets unexploited will always mean someone else gets rich whilst you stay poor but at least have protected your morals

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
This is the kind of thinking that has left india behind, let nations like China and even Vietnam eat India’s lunch and ensured india is always the land of promise but nothing else

you have to make use of what you’ve got. Leaving assets unexploited will always mean someone else gets rich whilst you stay poor but at least have protected your morals
Let me make this clear; I am not against infrastructure development - I am against making it in an ecologically-sensitive area which will lead to wanton destruction of the environment. There are plenty of coastal regions in the peninsular Indian lands that could be available as naturally-occurring harbours. Why not make it there?

Mauritius level of development is sustainable and reasonable. It enables essential services with decent quality of life for the Indians living there and yet, not go into an uncontrolled spiral of destroying naturally occuring coral reefs and the coastal waters.

Andaman, Nicobar and Lakshadweep have limitations. Let's be reasonable here.

kharabela

Let me make this clear; I am not against infrastructure development - I am against making it in an ecologically-sensitive area which will lead to wanton destruction of the environment. There are plenty of coastal regions in the peninsular Indian lands that could be available as naturally-occurring harbours. Why not make it there?

Mauritius level of development is sustainable and reasonable. It enables essential services with decent quality of life for the Indians living there and yet, not go into an uncontrolled spiral of destroying naturally occuring coral reefs and the coastal waters.

Some of the corals which is seen as vulnerable ll be relocated to other place . Separate turtle conservation plan going on . At the end of the day tribal , turtles , coral all ll be happy . This project is very important and located in a strategic place between colombo and singapore port . No other areas offer those advantage . I dont think we ll be making some dubai like city there . Its going to be a trans shipment port city with some business activity and tourism . But its going to give many well paying jobs , revenue to govt and strategic advantage .There are other Ports plans in odisha subernarekha which is going to be largest of eastern sea coast ,and india's 1st trans shipment port in kerala . All projects facing some opposition . And unless we enjoy poverty , unemployed youth destroying their lives with drugs or mass migration of skilled youth we ll complete these project at any cost .

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz

Some Sacrifices have to be made mate. No other Port in India is so strategically located. And there is no such thing as naturally deep water port all have to be dug out only exception are some Nordic countries and Korea.

abingdonboy

Country flag

Well thankfully this kind of thinking is not applicable to the central govt of India these days and they are trying to act strategically in some cases. A tourist hub is fine for tiny island nations in order to create revenue for their tiny economies but this move is part of the bigger civilisational fight with the Chinese where every single aspect has to be combated. If this port can take even 2% of the trade going through Singapore/Shanghai that’s a win

you don’t get to fight the battles you want

Abbey

Country flag
An Expression of Interest (EoI) for the country's first mega container transhipment port at Galathea Bay in Great Nicobar Islands is expected to be floated by January-end, a senior official said.

There is no large container transhipment port in India and all international container cargo has to go to Colombo, Singapore and Port Klang in Malaysia.

With 75 per cent of the country’s transshipment cargo being handled at international ports, it makes Indian industries vulnerable to increase in costs, potential inefficiencies, and congestion issues and creates long-term risks for India’s trade competitiveness.

Of the more than 16.1 million twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs) handled at India’s ports, nearly 75 per cent (12 million TEUs) was gateway cargo, while about 25 per cent was transshipped en-route to final destinations.

Out of the nearly 75 per cent of India’s transshipped containers that are handled at ports outside India, Colombo, Singapore and Port Klang handle more than 85 per cent of it. Colombo alone handling about 2.5 million TEUs.

Experts have long maintained that a strong economic case exists for enabling a transshipment hub in Southern India that can attract Indian and regional transshipment traffic from the current hubs, save significant revenue loss, reduce logistics inefficiencies for Indian trade, reduce risks to the country’s export competitiveness and create an opportunity for India to become a large hub for Asia-Africa, Asia-US/Europe container traffic trade.

"This Rs 17,000 crore port will help transhipment of cargo from the entire east coast of India as well as from Bangladesh and Myanmar," P L Haranadh, Chairman of Syama Prasad Mookherjee Port, Kolkata (SMPK), formerly Kolkata Port Trust, said.

"The EoI will help us seek their feedback from global port operators, maritime service majors and shipping liners. After this process, a detailed Detailed Project report will be prepared for the project for seeking bids," Haranadh told reporters after a stakeholders meeting.

Asked whether SMPK will be the executing agency for the project, officials stated that now the port has been asked to float the EoI, prepare a detailed project report and seek requests for proposals.

Union Minister of State for Port and Shipping Shantanu Thakur paid a visit to Andaman and Nicobar Island recently to preview development activities planned for the islanders with port-related infrastructure.

Haranadh said, "The government is planning to build a container transhipment port at the southernmost tip of Andaman and Nicobar Islands at Galathea Bay. SMPK will float an EoI from interested investors by the end of January."

The transhipment port would enable big ships to anchor and raise India's share in maritime trade, create new job opportunities and save a lot of forex, officials stated.

In the first phase, the length of the jetty will be 1.6 kilometres and will have a capacity of 4.3 million TeUs (Tonne equivalent) containers. Later, it would be ramped up to 16 million TeUs over the years.

India has an International Container Transhipment Terminal at Kochi in Kerala but it has not taken off as expected, Mehra said adding that its scale is much lower than the proposed port in the Nicobar Islands.

The natural depth available at Galathea Bay will be 20 meters. It will offer two geographical advantages -- proximity to the busy east-west international shipping route that can facilitate shorter transits and greater economies of scale, along with deep natural water depths that can accommodate the latest generation of mega-ships.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
I was wrong, its no longer a 14.2 million TEU port project but a 16 million TEU transshipment port.
The government seems very serious about it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles