Govt says no to National War Memorial

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Govt says no to National War Memorial

Insulting the country's martyrs has become a habit of the UPA government. After virtually spitting on the graves of those who sacrificed their lives in Kargil, the government has now shot down a proposal for National War Memorial.

The proposed war memorial to pay tribute to every soldier who has laid down his life for the country was nipped in the bud after the urban development ministry refused to allot land near the India Gate in the national capital.

The urban development ministry shot down a proposal by the ministry of defence for the memorial within the India Gate complex.

Despite deep anguish within the armed forces for the indifference shown towards its martyrs in the recent past, the urban development ministry said it cannot allot land behind the India Gate for the memorial. Statutory clearances will not be forthcoming, it said clearly.

The ministry's view is that setting up a war memorial behind the India Gate hexagon would disrupt the layout of the complex. It will interfere with the sensibility of the area.

The ministry also fears that a war memorial on the complex would make it a high-security area and therefore drive tourists away.

Interesting News

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
What is wrong with the Govt ?
They can allot land at the most posh location to build the ugliest memorial to IPS which, excuse my french, is the crappiest service in India but cannot allot land for the martyrs who served the nation ?
The callous manner in which the proposal has been shot down makes my blood boil. :((

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
^^who cares about the tourists ? what about those who died ?

IBM

Shock to know... govt has money to give darling maya as drought hit but will be used to build her ugly memorial but not for war memorial.

Flint

^I agree, Mayawati should hang her head in Shame, but just be happy that she hasn't installed her statue outside the Parliament house.

OTOH, don't we already have Amar Jawan Jyoti at India gate? Too many memorials can dilute their value.

I think a far more worthy way of remembering our soldiers is to ensure that those war heroes still knocking at the doors of bureaucrats to get their promised reward money/land/petrol pumps are taken care of.

Terminator

I agree with flint on the point.Too many memorials dilutes the value.Its better to have one memorial with all respect given than many memorials without repect.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
There is no need for any seperate war memorial for the martyrs of Kargil war and make thier sacrifices seperate from other martyrs of 1948 ,1962,1965 ,1971 wars.

IBM

^I agree, Mayawati should hang her head in Shame, but just be happy that she hasn't installed her statue outside the Parliament house.

OTOH, don't we already have Amar Jawan Jyoti at India gate? Too many memorials can dilute their value.

I think a far more worthy way of remembering our soldiers is to ensure that those war heroes still knocking at the doors of bureaucrats to get their promised reward money/land/petrol pumps are taken care of.
mate once she becomes primeminister by god's fault she will erect her statue every corner of india and first in parliament trust me....

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
If we all think a little logically without emotion, the first thing that should strike you is why have a war memorial near another war memorial? We have the Amar Jawan. Does it make sense to have another one near it?
Yes make another memorial as the India Gate is dedicated to martyrs of World War. We can build one in honor if the martyrs of 48,62,65,71,98 and all those who have died in COIN ops. But then chose another site. Maybe somewhere near thr Red Fort so thst on Independence Day, we sing out national anthem near the memorial of those who died for a free India in an independent India.

Flint

That's only partially correct. The Amar Jawan Jyoti is infact dedicated to all martyred Indian soldiers, even though the gate was originally built for the soldiers of WWI

If we all think a little logically without emotion, the first thing that should strike you is why have a war memorial near another war memorial? We have the Amar Jawan. Does it make sense to have another one near it?

Antimony

I agree.

When we view the Eternal flame we remember our martyrs from all ages.

Tamil

Country flag
i don't think our politicians not have any backbone. they always surrender or make as a 3rd nation citizen.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles