Govt bans FTV for nine days for showing women topless

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
AP, Mar 11, 2010, 03.54pm IST

NEW DELHI: The government has banned Fashion TV for nine days after finding a program it aired offended good taste and decency by showing women partially nude.

The Information and Broadcasting Ministry statement said FTV channel would go off the air later Thursday until March 21. The statement cited an unnamed FTV program aired in September that showed women with nude upper bodies.

FTV, an international channel based in Vienna, could not be immediately reached for comment.

India banned the same channel in 2007 for 60 days over programs such as ``Midnight Hot,'' showing scantily clad models. The country is conservative about sexual content in television and film.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...showing-women-topless/articleshow/5671786.cms

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
You get FTV in India? That channel is like Playboy now.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The law is that the law makers wouldnt mind ogling at nude females but want the rest of the country to not do that. I think there should be a difference between a channel showing on that and open ads on national TV or banners. Chosing a channel to watch just that is a personal choice which the government should have nothing to do with. But yes if objectionable content was to appear on say a news channel or your daily soaps channels, then yes you can control that as you might have kids watching.
Moral policing though is a good thing these days for people who want their 15 minutes to fame. You either be on a reality show or break a few glass panes in the name of culture.

sandeepdg

WTF !! All the oldies sitting in the parliament want to keep the pleasures for themselves it seems !!

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
it gets just so absurd, doesn’t it. government is now trying to tell people what to watch and what not to, when there remain other such bodies to do the requisite job. it is time they had content rating based upon which they issued viewer ship criteria based on age groups something they do for the movies, but then moral policing is a big business in India and gets you laurels unlike any other, no wonder all those shiv saniks, ram sene hooligans and the likes take pride in their absolute bizarre ways of forcing their sense of moral values on people.

are people so immature that they cant decide for themselves what is good for them to watch and what is not and one needs a damn government to tell them all of that. but then we are still stuck in times when the world has moved huge strides ahead. amazingly when the same people vote in or vote out a government they become the most sensible about their choice.

dictatorship in the name of moral fallout, and we take pride in being called a vibrant democracy.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
If the Government had banned FTV like 3 Years back it would have been atleast Okay, I mean they used to show really awesome stuff at night. But now, when FTV has toned down content in India, these guys Ban it!!!! Come on FTV Bring back those golden days, where 7th Graders waited for everyone to go to sleep and catch a glimpse of human anatomy, Come on FTV, bring back those days where 70 Year olds felt "Alive" after midnight, and went to bed satisfied, that even if they dont wake up the next morning, its okay!

BTW, Cant Parents program the set top boxes and password protect such channels????? Its damn easy, and efficient.

The thing in India is that we dont have a defined laws, atleast properly for such cases. Everything either hurts Religious Sentiments, or Moral Standing of our Society! We are not toddlers to be regulated for each and everything!!!

Last edited:

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I for one, dont remember the 60 Day Ban in 2007! Maybe I was just preoccupied with something else back then! :D

Singhji put forward an Idea, that we Petition against this Brutal suppression of Fashion TVs rights to bring us the latest in Fashion! What say? Shouldnt we speak up! Today its FTV, tomorrow it might be India TV!!! I shudder to think of that!

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
In this age of the internet, who needs FTV! ;)

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
WTF !! All the oldies sitting in the parliament want to keep the pleasures for themselves it seems !!
comeon only 3 days back govt celebrated women's day by passing women reservation bill in rajya sabha by the magin of 191 to 1 with the help of main opposition party.Now the next hurdle for govt is loksabha and they need to keep main opposition party leader sushma swaraj in good humor tto gett this bill cleared so you see our govt respects women rights and reservation and promptly banned FTV>>>>>>

Agantrope

Sh*t i missed that!!! :( :(. But anyhow i dont need it when i have access to other nice sites

Last edited:

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Lip service being paid in an era where a lot of netas maintain mistresses and engage in immoral activities.The entire issue smacks of hypocrisy.

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
For those who didn't know FTV shows a programme 'Midnight Hot' which features 'obscene content'.
It's banned now according to the newspapers , but will be back in nine days.

sandeepdg

comeon only 3 days back govt celebrated women's day by passing women reservation bill in rajya sabha by the magin of 191 to 1 with the help of main opposition party.Now the next hurdle for govt is loksabha and they need to keep main opposition party leader sushma swaraj in good humor tto gett this bill cleared so you see our govt respects women rights and reservation and promptly banned FTV>>>>>>
Don't believe everything the the government says and does, mate !!

sob

Mod
Country flag
Imagine the person who is responsible for surfing the TV channels to weed out obscence shows.

I want to apply for that job. Guys do you know where I can send my CV.

p2prada

Imagine the person who is responsible for surfing the TV channels to weed out obscence shows.

I want to apply for that job. Guys do you know where I can send my CV.
Join the film censor board.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles