Government outlay for defence in military budget dashes hopes for military modernisation

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Got a confusion. OPEX, Revenue expenditure and CAPEX. How are they separated?
I thought that the budget would split into CAPEX+Revenue expenditure, and the revenue expenditure would further split into OPEX and Salaries. Am I right?
Here is a detailed review of defence budget....

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति

ashdoc

Country flag
Paying homage to Rajiv Gandhi , the only moderniser of the Indian military . Here is the Time magazine cover of 30 years ago ( during Rajiv's tenure as PM ) heralding India as a military power . But Rajiv's dream remained unfulfilled...

IndianHawk

Country flag
Looks like after Parrikar's tenure, defence budget is being utilised fully. earlier at 15-25 thousand crores used to be unspent...

and also they are spending more than original budget... so the complaint that def. budget is not sufficient should not be a issue...

View attachment 36207

http://pib.nic.in/PressReleseDetail.aspx?PRID=1578733
So capital outlay has grown 10% in two years or 5% annually. Barely meeting the inflation .

Capital budget needs to grow. Army has to shed flab and airforce need to grow much bigger.

Having a huge army but a rather obsolete airforce forces us to play on the defensive while a nation of our size must be on offensive.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
So capital outlay has grown 10% in two years or 5% annually. Barely meeting the inflation .

Capital budget needs to grow. Army has to shed flab and airforce need to grow much bigger.

Having a huge army but a rather obsolete airforce forces us to play on the defensive while a nation of our size must be on offensive.

This question is coming up again and again on DFI.. i don't think budget allocation alone should define the success or failure...
a good way would be to find out how much was spent on procurement(both revenue and capital), and how much of it was domestic and foreign procurement.

if anyone knows a good website/dataset which provides this information, i can have a look at it.

IndianHawk

Country flag
This question is coming up again and again on DFI.. i don't think budget allocation alone should define the success or failure...
a good way would be to find out how much was spent on procurement(both revenue and capital), and how much of it was domestic and foreign procurement.

if anyone knows a good website/dataset which provides this information, i can have a look at it.
Surely that needs to be looked in. But the above figures are inclusive of these figures hence overall growth in defense budget is still just above inflation.

More importantly we are overweight on personnel and lightweight on modern equipment.
This makes a terrible duo. On one hand it handicaps our offensive capabilities and forces us on defensive on the other hand wage growth will eat up most of the growth of allocation.

As manpower becomes more expensive and subsequent pay commission wreck havoc on budget army need to slim down to essential.

We need to double down on airforce to become a truly modern military power otherwise we'll be playing defensive forever.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
I like your idea.I'm ready to give 1000 rs.
How about 100/- per month?
Contribute Rs 100 every month for one year and it'll amount to Rs 60,000 crores!! Enough to buy another 36 fully loaded Rafales!! :biggrin2: But then we have the Lutyens brigade like RaGa and Co who'll go berserk........Meaning it's a non starter!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles