Got close to resolving Kashmir during Agra: Musharraf

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Got close to resolving Kashmir during Agra: Musharraf

Lahore, June 27: Former Pakistan president Pervez Musharraf has claimed that he came near to resolving the Kashmir dispute during the infamous Agra summit in 2001.

In an interview to a private television channel, Musharraf said that he and the then India prime minister, Atal Bihari Vajpayee had even agreed to draft a joint declaration regarding the Kashmir issue, but blamed New Delhi for ditching Islamabad at the last moment.

“The Indian leadership changed their mind at the last minute and did not support the joint declaration, saying that the Cabinet had not approved it,” The Daily Times quoted Musharraf, as saying.

Musharraf said he tried his best to resolve the issue which is pending for years, and in that context even held talks with all the stakeholders such as All-Parties Hurriyat Conference and various leaders of the Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK).

He, however, said the meetings did not yield substantial results, as the leaders ‘failed to guide him in the right direction’.

Musharraf also rejected the notion that the country’s Army did not want a resolution on the Kashmir issue.

He said all such reports were primarily aired to malign the image of the security forces, and a part of a “vicious propaganda” against the country.

Musharraf also rebuffed former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s claims that he was kept in the dark regarding the Kargil issue.

Terming Sharif’s statement as “an absolute lie”, Musharraf said he gave Sharif a detailed presentation on the Kargil situation just two days before the former left for the US.

He said that Sharif repeatedly enquired about whether the troops could be withdrawn from Kargil, to which he claimed to have replied that it had to be decided by the country’s leadership.

“I said I have informed you about the military situation but the withdrawal of forces is a political decision which has to be taken by the political leadership,” said Musharraf.

Got close to resolving Kashmir during Agra summit: Musharraf

youngindian

Country flag
To remain in limelight he come and gives press statement. Before asking for Kashmir he should work on clearing up the mess in SWAT valley. Kashmir is India integral part. Stay away from making comment and just play Golf, smoke cigar and relax ur retirement life.

Pintu

To remain in limelight he come and gives press statement. Before asking for Kashmir he should work on clearing up the mess in SWAT valley. Kashmir is India integral part. Stay away from making comment and just play Golf, smoke cigar and relax ur retirement life.
I agree with you totally YI, it is nothing but a stunt by Gen. Musharraf , yes during the Agra summit we are hearing that "it is being finalised..... or 'Historical Step going to be taken ' or were flown out by their media and suddenly the entire Pakistani delegation started accusing us.

Regards

youngindian

Country flag
mush is tatally use less fellow pintu da We should only care about what general deepak kapoor has to say,pakistan is our enemy number one,for last sixty year it has tried every ruthless,terrorist activity,bloody fight which has lead to sacrifice of our thousands of jawans who have died for the country,we still have the spirit of subash chandra bose, vir savarkar,bhagat singh,chandrashekar azad of immense love for country in great indian armed forces,it doesnt matter what pakistan and its terrorist do kashmir was ,will always be a part of india,till we salute, love ,respect, honour,regard our armed forces as our supreme saviours.i respect our army just like i respect my parents.i dont care what musharaf,kayani or gilani thinks,they will try everything under their power,but at the end of the day will be frustrated,because they are no match in front of great indian armed forces.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I think this news us old and might be there on the forum.
Musharraf's claims regarding India backing out is not true. This report is not prsenting everything. The Indian side had offered Pakistan to make the LoC a permanent border. Whereas Musharraf wanted it to made an "irrelevant" border. A term they have coined so that if accepted, they will keep the issue on the boil forever. India did not agree to this.
So Musharraf can't say India ditched at the last moment. India never for once agreed to the idea of open border.

johnee

Mushy speaks!!! Big deal! Who cares what he says?!? He gives random 'sensational' statements to remain in spotlight. We should simple ignore him. Our media gives him more 'bhav' then he deserves.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Mushy speaks!!! Big deal! Who cares what he says?!? He gives random 'sensational' statements to remain in spotlight. We should simple ignore him. Our media gives him more 'bhav' then he deserves.
Now even Nawaz Sharif speaks ..

Had Musharraf not toppled my Govt, Kashmir would have been solved by now: Sharif

Lahore, June 27: Former Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has said that the long pending Kashmir issue would have been resolved long ago, had his government not been toppled by former military chief General Pervez Musharraf in 1999.

In an interview to a leading daily, Sharif, without taking Musharraf’s name, blamed the former Army general for Pakistan’s present turbulent situation.

“I am sure had my government not been toppled in 1999 by a military dictator, lingering Kashmir issue would have been resolved,” Sharif said.

Commenting on the Lahore High Court’s verdict acquitting him in the helicopter ‘misappropriation’ case, he said the court’s order has exposed the ‘dictatorial regime formula’ being followed in the country to push back political leaders.

Sharif said he would not be deterred by fake cases being registered against him to malign his image.

Pointing fingers towards Musharraf, Sharif said that the truth behind fake allegations being made against him is well known.

“The whole world knew what the purpose of engineering cases against him was. A dictator who used to show his fist to his countrymen is now wandering here and there and even his close associates have turned against him,” the daily quoted Sharif, as saying.

Sharif also urged various political parties to join hands and work together to counter the challenges facing the nation at present

“We have clear stance that instead of indulging in politics of confrontation, we should use political strength in national interest and our energy for strengthening of democratic institutions,” he said.

Earlier, a two-member division bench of the LHC had declared the lower court’s verdict against Sharif as null and void, thus dismissing the misappropriation case against him.

Sharif was accused of tax evasion and fraudulently purchasing a helicopter, which he used for election campaigning in the mid-1990s.

A special anti-terrorism court had adjudged him guilty of utilising his post for his own benefit, and disqualified him from holding public office for 21 years.

Had Musharraf not toppled my Govt, Kashmir would have been solved by now:

Country flag
What was Musharraf going to solve after getting beat in Kargil? Just a silly pakistani pattern get beat militarily than try the diplomatic route and beg for aid in between.

NikSha

One thing Pakistan has in abundance, is a punch of useless, shameless politicians since day-1 who do everything they can for power and prestige (of their own). It started with Jinnah and well.. not going to stop.. ever..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles