Gorkha Jitu Rai is the new Pistol King

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Indian Army's focus on unearthing world-class shooters through the Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) is continuing to reap dividends. 11 Gorkha Regiment's Jitu Rai has emerged as the new sensation, becoming the first to win two medals in a single World Cup competition. The 26-year-old Junior Commissioned Officer, born in Nepal's Sankhuwasabha district, migrated to India and joined the Army in 2006. He entered shooting's record books on Thursday with his gold in men's 10m air pistol at the World Cup in Maribor (Slovenia). He quelled the challenge of eight of the world's best, including teammate Prakash Nanjappa who finished fifth. On Monday, Rai had clinched a silver in the 50m free pistol after losing the title duel to Damir Mikec of Serbia by just 0.1 point. The gold medal was Rai's third podium finish in nine days after bagging a silver medal in the previous ISSF World Cup in Munich on June 11. "Nothing much has changed in my equipment or technique. Only that it all clicked in the last few weeks," the champion shooter told TOI from Maribor. Rai, currently ranked 26th in the world, is surely going to go up in the new rankings list but the talented shooter's real test will start in September when the quota places for the 2016 Rio Olympics will be up grabs.
Regaining focus
Rai first made it to the Army's shooting squad in 2010-11 but failed to live up to his promise and was subsequently sent back to his unit putting an end to his training at the AMU in Mhow. "This is my third stint at the AMU. I got selected the first time after firing with the 9mm pistol but it is completely different to shoot with an air pistol.

Read more here:
Gorkha Jitu Rai is the new Pistol King - The Times of India

Global Defence

New threads

Articles