Google may return to China with Android app shop

nimo_cn

Country flag
http://news.yahoo.com/google-may-re...yYjJiBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

Google is talking with Chinese authorities and smartphone makers about opening an online shop in China stocked with applications for Android-powered mobile devices, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday.

The move would mark a return for the US Internet firm, which moved its online search service from Mainland China to Hong Kong in 2010 after a cyberattack targeting Gmail users and a clash over censorship.

Many Google services, such as its free Gmail email, are blocked in China.

Google-backed Android powers the majority of the smartphones in the world and is available free for device makers in China and elsewhere.

Manufacturers such as Xiaomi customize their own version of Android, while Baidu and other Internet players in China run app stores that don't share revenue with Google, according to the Journal.

Opening a Google Play online shop for digital content approved by the Chinese government and pre-installed on smartphones powered by a licensed version of Android would be a remedy for that situation.

Google has been working on the project for more than a year and hoped to have the China app shop on new smartphones by the end of this year, according to a source cited by the Journal.

Google did not immediately respond to an AFP request for comment.

来自我的 HUAWEI P7-L07 上的 Tapatalk

badguy2000

Respected Member
it is too late......now, CHinese market is full of cyber giants that can match google, if not outperformance it,such as Taobao,Tecent,baidu.

Google has no Chance.

Instead, without the pretection from USA government, It is not a surprise at all that google will be taken over by some CHinese cyber giant say tecent.

nimo_cn

Country flag
it is too late......now, CHinese market is full of cyber giants that can match google, if not outperformance it,such as Taobao,Tecent,baidu.

Google has no Chance.

Instead, without the pretection from USA government, It is not a surprise at all that google will be taken over by some CHinese cyber giant say tecent.
well, I am merely pointing out the irony here.

five years ago, Google put on a good show in which Google did its best to demonize Chinese government and paint itself an innocent victim, hoping that would press Chinese authority to back down and give Google privilege to do business in China. we all know how it ended, Google pulled out of mainland China after its attempt failed.

only five years has passed, Google, the self claimed innocent victim of Chinese censorship system is begging Chinese government-the demon, to give it a second chance to do business in China, which in my opinion is pure hypocrisy. how does it even have the nerve?

it seems that Google has developed a good appetite for censorship in the last five years, then what is it gonna to do with its motto "dont be evil"? take it down from the wall and shove it back into its asshole?

Illusive

Country flag
well, I am merely pointing out the irony here.

five years ago, Google put on a good show in which Google did its best to demonize Chinese government and paint itself an innocent victim, hoping that would press Chinese authority to back down and give Google privilege to do business in China. we all know how it ended, Google pulled out of mainland China after its attempt failed.

only five years has passed, Google, the self claimed innocent victim of Chinese censorship system is begging Chinese government-the demon, to give it a second chance to do business in China, which in my opinion is pure hypocrisy. how does it even have the nerve?

it seems that Google has developed a good appetite for censorship in the last five years, then what is it gonna to do with its motto "dont be evil"? take it down from the wall and shove it back into its asshole?

Google has country specific website and allows censorship, even in India. Google only cares for market and Chinese market is very important, while search engine use is more about habit, i think google might be relatively successful, depending if CCP allows them.

badguy2000

Respected Member
1.google has got used to "cencorship" in USA,while it cooperates with NSA.

2.google underesimate the potential of CHinese market..now it has to pay for its wrong.

Compersion

Country flag
when PRC company want to sell outside PRC do they need Google ...

prohibition is a nasty and strong drink that needs to be taken carefully.

nimo_cn

Country flag
when PRC company want to sell outside PRC do they need Google ...

prohibition is a nasty and strong drink that needs to be taken carefully.
Google made its own mind to pull out of China, no one prohibited it from doing business in China.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Google has country specific website and allows censorship, even in India. Google only cares for market and Chinese market is very important, while search engine use is more about habit, i think google might be relatively successful, depending if CCP allows them.
On the global market, surely Google is a successful search engine, but it success failed to repeat in China due to competition from domestic company Baidu. Many attribute that to Chinese censorship system, including Google who had on many occasions insinuated that Chinese authority had been unfair to it, hence its defeat in Chinese market, which is certainly not ture.

Google is a great company, but like many American Internet giants, it refuses to make adaptations according to Chinese market, hoping to impose the same strategy elsewhere on a different Chinese market, its defeat was destined and had nothing to do with Chinese government.

badguy2000

Respected Member
in fact, almost all USA's ceyber company are asskicked in CHina by their CHinese rivals.

for example:
Google vs Baidu;
Alibaba vs ebay/Amazon
QQ VS Twitter
Wechat vs Line
Weibo VS facebook

Illusive

Country flag
Many attribute that to Chinese censorship system, including Google who had on many occasions insinuated that Chinese authority had been unfair to it, hence its defeat in Chinese market, which is certainly not ture.
You cannot rule that out that it was a factor, even in India local companies don't like competition from foreign companies and lobbies govt for changes in their favour.

But you are right about the 2nd para, googles mistake was its arrogance which really puts them in a weak situation now because people use search engine by habit unlike something like facebook or twitter which depends on trend. Orkut, Myspace is dead. Eventually facebook will also die.

Compersion

Country flag
Google made its own mind to pull out of China, no one prohibited it from doing business in China.

that is not what i exactly said. i am talking more about PRC companies do they need Google - and other company if they want to do business outside PRC (it hurts and its shameful but its the truth). also if the PRC company want to do business outside PRC do they need other company assistance and what is the performance outside PRC. why PRC company outside PRC dont do that well. why PRC company outside PRC accept outside rules. the business of PRC company success inside PRC depends on many things. Also in the future that will eventually require openness and innovation. because it is easy to copy a search engine, and even simple web design and structure and even a company with a exuberant market cap on a american stock exchange but applying innovative design, technology and terminology is difficult. Google and others is not simply a search engine and email service and one can only copy too much.

if you want to explore what you say - why is Google not doing business in PRC? Have you read a article on Alphabet in reference to PRC it is pretty blunt. but yes i understand and accept one needs to apply local laws that is fair. i would like Google to apply to India laws and rules when they do business in India.

with that i will sit on the sidelines and watch this firecracker and frustration that is being developed between USA (&Israel) and PRC. look at the post No.9 for more examples. And i wish PRC all the best because if it manages to out do the Americans and Israel business industry that will make it open up a lot of questions about the self interests and importance of many countries. but somehow i dont know if this is the end of the story and USA (& Israel) accept such mistreatment.

with that:

------------------------------------------------

Some notes:

- Sure local language is important but Coca Cola and McDonalds was allowed to enter PRC - was it because PRC was backward before - why the different approach and rules suddenly.

- Is it because government control is important.

- when one looks at the difference between successful PRC (cyber company) and its USA (& Israel) counterpart (refer to history and business objectives). Sometimes even the color scheme is the same. sometimes even the name.

- Is it these companies are setup by PRC government to make sure that outsider can invest in these - Like SPV (might work but again control is not with them). It is such a systematic and linear approach what PRC government is doing and its too predictable.

- why would the outsider try and still enter PRC. If such mistreatment -> why not have Cyber sanctions until it is fair level.

- Baidu and its success is making fun of Google. Whatever Google does - Baidu will also do !! but how and who does Baidu employ and compare that with Google. Internally and externally.

- I always like to look at the car industry in PRC ... and ask why foreign companies do much better to PRC.

- The larger the enterprise the better the PRC company. Is that really true.

- Is Alibaba a PRC company controlled and owned.

- Is PRC averse to any foreign company doing better to a local counterpart. But innovation and success of such company is not overnight.

- The real innovation is when PRC people innovate without government support. That leads to more rights and control to the individual and also more choice. It also means individual become more efficient and with voice. It means asking the government get out the way.

This internal choice and development i would say is what will be the most difficult for PRC to accept. And this internal choice was in a way what made PRC make it difficult for Google. Google was not having any PRC government control which was unacceptable. Even foreign car company that do well have PRC government control if you look closely but the PRC cannot copy them fully and hence the result.

All successful companies in PRC are government owned and controlled. Copying companies from post.no 9 is good for image and sometimes creates some employment but copying is easy but does that mean success in the long term ...

Frustration. And ironically that is what USA (&Israel) feels about PRC.

But credit to PRC: because i would like india to have company like in PRC that do well on merit but i would prefer they start on their own and with their own innovation. i look at the PRC infrastructure company and commercial company that took outside innovation and accepted and adapted. is it wrong what PRC is doing probably not. i would like India to do the same but India is probably more open and connected to the global system and also rules and also the language. Also many successful companies in USA (&Israel) use Indian talent and invest in India. but yes i would like to see a Indian google. Does it matter if Google leader is a Indian ... would it better if there was a Indian Google.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles