Golf plaguing the Indian Armed Forces?

urpflanze

Country flag
My sisters are married to infantry men. I visit them a couple of times during a year or two. What I find strange is that both of my brother-in-laws, one a lt. colonel and the other a major, spend majority of their day organizing and playing golf. I mean I wouldn't have made a fuss about it if the matter was trivial but the fact is that they dedicate most of their leisure time to the game in a similar vein as a teen to NFS. I feel they are addicted and can't break off. Whaddya say?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Where did you used to go and meet them ?
I have to say this is kinda sorta true but as a trade off, most of the top golfers in the country today are somehow related to the Army.

urpflanze

Country flag
One is in Navy Nagar, Colaba. The other is in Siliguri.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
My sisters are married to infantry men. I visit them a couple of times during a year or two. What I find strange is that both of my brother-in-laws, one a lt. colonel and the other a major, spend majority of their day organizing and playing golf. I mean I wouldn't have made a fuss about it if the matter was trivial but the fact is that they dedicate most of their leisure time to the game in a similar vein as a teen to NFS. I feel they are addicted and can't break off. Whaddya say?
I say that organizing and planning training of enlisted personnel is probably better done by sergeants-major and senior NCOs any way :)

urpflanze

Country flag
I say that organizing and planning training of enlisted personnel is probably better done by sergeants-major and senior NCOs any way :)
I believe you are right. But can't they do something more productive than playing golf? Like reading some strategy book, eh?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One is in Navy Nagar, Colaba. The other is in Siliguri.
And the whole day they were playing golf.

Lucky chaps!

Didn't have the luxury in my time, actually.

Oh BTW, one OR from my unit came second in the SW Comd Golf Championship!

I presume he was playing all day, right?

and Milkha Singh who was a JCO was throughout the day Bhag Milkha Bhag?

Maj (later Lt Col ) Raghvendra Rathore, who won the Olympic Silver was shooting all through the day, right?

What is the point that you wish to make?

urpflanze

Country flag
All I am trying to say is that when you make incrementally significant adjustments to your personal life around a vain game that hardly works out your muscles and was designed primarily to seal business contracts, it is not a healthy sign of growth and balance.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
All I am trying to say is that when you make incrementally significant adjustments to your personal life around a vain game that hardly works out your muscles and was designed primarily to seal business contracts, it is not a healthy sign of growth and balance.
Maybe the philosophy is to "have all the fun you can during peace-time, because when war comes, you have to put your life at stake"? My experience with knowing armed forces personnel and being in the NCC myself suggests this might be the case!

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Squash is another game that is played. That one is actually good to keep fitness up but has fewer takers than golf.

When i visited my relative he played the same course twice over, there were 4 more chaps with him.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
That is a popular stereotype that Golf is a vain game that hardly works out your muscles and was designed primarily to seal business contracts.

Have you played golf?

You require agility, precision, patience and expertise.

It can be quite frustrating.

Golf can be played by officers during 'Officer Games Days' i.e. Wednesdays and Saturdays, where officers can play Golf, Tennis, Squash and other outdoor games that are not team games.

Every other day, during the Games period, an officer is to play team games like Football, hockey, basketball, volleyball etc with the men. That builds camaraderie and teamspirit.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Squash is the oldest tournament in India, the Western India Championships had its origin in the Army cantonment of Deolali, 200 km from Mumbai. The first Services Championships were held in 1927 and were won by Capt ESJ Birnie of Sam Browne's Cavalry.

The Services, in particular the Indian Army, have contributed greatly to the development and proliferation of Squash all over India, especially in the remotest parts of the country. Some of the best players produced by India have been from the Services and the trend continues to this day. The Indian Navy can take pride in its beautiful stale of the art, seaside twin glass back Squash stadium complex in Navy Nagar, Colaba, arguably one of the finest in the country. Every Air Force station has a squash court to ensure all the pilots get their opportunity of physical exercise to keep them fit, mentally and physically, for arduous flying duties. The Army due to its large size has naturally stolen a march over its sister services and provided some superbly gifted squash players to the nation.

The most legendary figure ever to grace the Indian Squash scene, Raj Manchanda who started making his presence felt as a Captain from the EME, but it was as a Major that he achieved greatness through his exploits on the Squash Court. He was Services Champion for an unprecedented 11 times (a record not likely to be broken) and won 6 straight National open titles from 1977 to 1982. He also represented India in Asian Championships and World level tournaments during this period and made his presence felt through his patented use of the lob accompanied by a nagging accuracy of shots all around he court. He was also awarded the Arjuna Award in 1983.

Another notable player to emerge from the Services in the early 1980s was Capt Narjit Singh of 2nd Lancers (Armoured Corps). Narjit also holds the unique distinction of representing India in 6 successive Asian Championships from 1980-1990, which is a record.

The early eighties also saw in action the never say die Paratrooper from 17 Para Fd Arty, Major Vikas Kapoor who was ranked in the top four in India at this time and represented India in an Asian Championship at Jordan, 1986.

The other Services players to make a mark at this period were Capt LK Agnihotri, Capt Ashun Behl and who did well to make it in the top 8 of the rankings in India and were important members of Services teams for many years.

The late eighties saw fresh talent from the Services in the form of Capt. Ravinder Malik and Arjan Singh. Malik did remarkably well to win two back to back India today titles and represented India in the South Asian Federation games at Islamabad in 1989. Malik was Services champion from 1982 and in 1996 and accompanied the Indian team to the Cairo World Squash Championships (1995) as coach.

The early nineties belonged to Capt Arjan Singh who was Services Champion from 1991 to 1993 and National Champion from 1994 to 1996.

Represented India in Asian Championships in 1990, 1994 and 1996 and World Championship at Cairo, Egypt in 1995. He has left the Army now to seek greener pastures outside. Also prominent at this time was Lt Akshay Joshi of the Navy who represented India in the Asian Championships in Malaysia in 1996.

Some other notable players who were part of Services teams in the eighties & nineties were Capt A Ganguli, Capt IS Bains and Maj KJ Vohra (retired as Lt Col).

The Late nineties saw Capt Rajdeep Brar coming into his own and dominating proceedings at the Services and national Level. Brar, won Services Championships in a row from 1995-1999. He was part of Indian teams for Asian Championships in 1992 and 1996.(Jordan) and also played as India No 2 in the World team Squash Championships at Cairo, Egypt in 1995. This gutsy Paratrooper from the Army Ordinance Corps used his never say die spirit and physical ability to the Stretch World No 10 Zarak Jahan Khan (Defending Asian champion) of Pakistan to five games and almost beat him in the Asian Championships at Jordan. This ranks as probably the finest performance by an Indian against a top players in recent times. Brar was also coach of the Indian Junior Squash team from 1995-1996 and coached the Juniors to the 15th position in the World Junior Championships in Egypt (1996) which is the best ever achieved by the juniors.

History of Squash in Armed forces

And I assure you that these people were not playing Squash 24 x7. They also had to do their official duties for which they joined the Army.

In the Army, one has to pass Promotion Exams to get the ranks and one who is merely playing games and not doing his service work can hardly expect to be capable of passing Promotion Exams.

It is not like the IAS where merely the years decide promotion.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I believe you are right. But can't they do something more productive than playing golf? Like reading some strategy book, eh?
What makes you think they don't?

Have you asked your relatives as to how they passed their Promotion Exams to reach their ranks?

W.G.Ewald

Professional
That is a popular stereotype that Golf is a vain game that hardly works out your muscles and was designed primarily to seal business contracts.

Have you played golf?

You require agility, precision, patience and expertise.

It can be quite frustrating.
I prefer skeet shooting for my frustration. :)

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
you guys should go to Delhi Cantt. area where the army Golf course is, now they have changed its name. New Name is "Environmental training center"................:rofl:

Looks like GOI audit must have objected about army officers using our funds to play Golf....................

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Theres a nice golf course at Fort William @Ray

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
you guys should go to Delhi Cantt. area where the army Golf course is, now they have changed its name. New Name is "Environmental training center"................:rofl:

Looks like GOI audit must have objected about army officers using our funds to play Golf....................
There are also obstacles and obstacle course & is used for training.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Reminds me when I arrived at Camp Zama it was mostly golf course.

Camp Zama locates on the former site of Imperial Japanese Army Academy, which was named "Soubudai" (Japanese: 相武台) by Emperor Showa. Route 51 is a road to Camp Zama that was specifically built in order for the Emperor of Japan to travel to review the graduating classes from Machida Station. The Emperor Showa, or Hirohito visited Camp Zama in 1937.
Camp Zama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
History & course facts :

"The 'Yak Golf Course' was started on 19 Sep 1972 at Kupup. The course was re-designed in 1979 by Brig JM Singh, Cdr 164 Mtn Bde & since then it has been developed by avid golfers. Under the guidance of Brig Ranbir Singh, Cdr 63 Mtn Bde & Col T K Murali, Dy Cdr 63 Mtn Bde the course had been redesigned & expanded to 18 holes. Located at Kupup in east Sikkim, the Yak Golf course is a challenging 18-hole course featuring meandering fairways across mountain streams & teasing browns. Its at a height of 13025 feet making it the highest golf course in the world. The Yak Environmental Park and Training Area formerly known as Yak Golf Club was relaid in Aug 1978 and the work on the course was completed by early 1979. The layout of the course coupled with the numerous rivulets that criss-cross the course add to the thrill of playing at this high altitude. The fairways are lush green with natural streams & ponds as hazards, which makes the game interesting & a challenge. The club is open seven days a week, round the year subject to snow conditions. However, it is generally playable from May to Dec. During winter, the golf course remains active by becoming a ski center - 'Ice Hockey', I,ce Skating' and 'Skiing' are popular. A golfer unless acclimatized to these majestic heights needs to move slowly on the course. Yaks are recommended to be used by senior members.

It is incorrectly believed that La Paz Golf Club tops list of world's highest courses.

La Paz Golf Club, laid out at a height of 10,800 feet,

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am not here to win.

Win for what?

I am merely to explain so that misconceptions do not become a fact.

For instance, just because a military club is well organised and everything moves clockwork, there is a misconception that the people running the club are military soldiers and everything is free.

No, that is a wrong idea.

Civilians are cooks, waiters, barmen and they are paid for from the subscriptions of the Officers who are members.

It is just that these civilian imbibe the military discipline and so appear efficient.

There is also a misconception that Officers have free alcohol too! That is such a laugh!

It might interest you to know that many premium clubs like the Secunderabad Club was a military club. But then some fool allowed civilian membership and voting rights. So, when the civilians got the majority the Club changed hands and the civilians took it over and slowly ensured that the military were not allowed to be members!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles