Golf: Indian youth brigade takes centre-stage at Iskandar Johor Open

Rage

DFI TEAM
Indian youth brigade takes centre-stage at Iskandar Johor Open

October 22nd, 2009

Johor Bahru (Malaysia), Oct 22 (IANS) Indian golf’s youth brigade made a great start in the first round at the Iskandar Johor Open Thursday before inclement weather forced an early end to the day’s play.

Himmat Rai was among three golfers at five-under, but none of them could finish their round. Rai was five-under through nine holes, which included a birdie-eagle start from the tenth. Chinese Taipei player Lin Wen-Tang and Chang Tse-peng were also five-under, but had played 13 and 12 holes respectively.

Gaganjeet Bhullar and Rahil Gangjee shot three-under 69 each and Anirban Lahiri was three-under through six holes. A total of 17 Indians are playing are participating in the event making it one of the largest Indian contingents in an Asian Tour event outside India.

“I had a good round, except the fifth, which I double bogeyed. I love this golf course and the field here is good. I could have saved a couple of shots, but since it is the opening round, it is a decent start,” said Bhullar, winner of the Indonesia President Invitational.

“The strong field is good for us, as we get an opportunity to play with such good players. As for myself, I am confident and there are three more days to go.”

Thailand’s Chinnarat Phadungsil together with compatriot Pariya Junhasavasdikul and Mark Purser of New Zealand made a spirited start to take the first round clubhouse lead at four-under.

SSP Chowrasia had also finished his round with a 70 and Manav Jaini was two-under after six. Digvijay Singh and Amandeep Johl shot 71 each, while Indian Open winner, C Muniyappa was one-under after 14 holes and Gaurav Ghei was also one-under but after nine holes and Arjun Singh was one-under after six.

Jyoti Randhawa and Ashok Kumar were even after 13 and 12 holes respectively, Chiragh Kumar was two-over for the full round and Rahul Ganapathy was two-over six holes. Vikrant Chopra finished his round with a 75 and Karanjit Singh was four-over after six holes.

Play was suspended at noon for about three hours. All players who teed off in the afternoon session are yet to complete their round as play was suspended due to darkness in the evening.

Malaysia’s Danny Chia, Bhullar and defending champion Retief Goosen of South Africa were among the 11 players bunched at three-under.

Indian youth brigade takes centre-stage at Iskandar Johor Open | Sindh Today - Online News

Global Defence

New threads

Articles