Global Think tank discussions on India & neighbourhood

Swesh

A network of fake accounts originating outside of the UK stoked violence between Muslims and Hindus in a British city earlier this year, according to research first provided to Bloomberg News.

An estimated 500 inauthentic accounts that called for violence and promoted memes as well as incendiary videos were created on Twitter Inc. during riots in Leicester between late August and early September this year, according to the Network Contagion Research Institute at Rutgers University.

Fiyaz Mughal, an author of the report and the founder of Tell MAMA, a service that allows people in the UK to report anti-Muslim abuse and monitors Islamophobic incidents, said he was shocked at how quickly social networks "could jump on these issues." Mughal said the events in Leicester proved the "risk to the national security of any country today."

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
all hindu hate professors in US.

They study and research south asia.

These people are well funded and sponsored by Universities and CONNECTED.

Look JNU, Ashoka is also in the list.

let's keep the discourse on this thread a bit higher, focus on academic ideas and assessments they are proposing rather than just another political thread.
preferably academic discussions on policy, white papers and books.

dfcool

Country flag
let's keep the discourse on this thread a bit higher, focus on academic ideas and assessments they are proposing rather than just another political thread.
preferably academic discussions on policy, white papers and books.
Agree, Not indented to turn this into another political thread BUT Let me give my opinion on them.

In the past 7 yrs there are more than 40+ "South Asia" dept are popped up across think tanks and Academia Institutes. They are less focused on Indian economy, poverty and more focused on Indian politics, we know why.

If we can not discuss here then need a thread for global think tank, academic discussion on Indian politics and internal matters.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
i could be wrong here, but it seems there is a lull in think tank discourse on India. for a nation that is one sixth of humanity and just 75 years old there should be new theories on opportunities every week. could be the case that the discussions have moved from one set of academics to another set of academics, and i am yet to figure out the new group who are working on theorising opportunities.

let's just hope it is not the case that ideas itself have dried up.

ORF have picked their areas to focus on, but where are the others?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Agree, Not indented to turn this into another political thread BUT Let me give my opinion on them.

In the past 7 yrs there are more than 40+ "South Asia" dept are popped up across think tanks and Academia Institutes. They are less focused on Indian economy, poverty and more focused on Indian politics, we know why.

If we can not discuss here then need a thread for global think tank, academic discussion on Indian politics and internal matters.
use this thread

dfcool

Country flag
i could be wrong here, but it seems there is a lull in think tank discourse on India. for a nation that is one sixth of humanity and just 75 years old there should be new theories on opportunities every week. could be the case that the discussions have moved from one set of academics to another set of academics, and i am yet to figure out the new group who are working on theorising opportunities.

let's just hope it is not the case that ideas itself have dried up.

ORF have picked their areas to focus on, but where are the others?
I have some experience with US think tanks so i will give you my perspective.

If you look the history of well known US think tanks most of them were started by Billionaires where as in today rich indian people are not at all interested in doing the same. Worst part is most billionaires are pro left. Hence the giant gap.

ORF started long time ago by visionary to echo indian voice.

One solution is govt to start separate ministry with research institute and diversify research into other studies. This might inspire upcoming rich people to establish research think tanks.

taken from above article:
"What we truly need to do to institutionalize our ideas is to create a new Department or Ministry within the Government of India and staff it diligently with people from our movement. Becoming a department of the State has many advantages - first, you receive the legitimacy of being an organ of the sovereign power of the land; second, you receive the resources of the State to pursue your research and intellectual goals; third, it provides a landing spot for countless young people who are desperate to find a way to contribute intellectually to this movement. "

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I have some experience with US think tanks so i will give you some perspective.

If you look the history of well known US think tanks most of them were started by Billionaires where as in today rich indian people are not at all interested in doing the same. Worst part is most billionaires are pro left. Hence the giant gap.

ORF started long time ago by visionary to echo indian voice.

One solution is govt to start separate ministry with research institute and diversify research into other studies. This might inspire upcoming rich people to establish research think tanks.

taken from above article:
"What we truly need to do to institutionalize our ideas is to create a new Department or Ministry within the Government of India and staff it diligently with people from our movement. Becoming a department of the State has many advantages - first, you receive the legitimacy of being an organ of the sovereign power of the land; second, you receive the resources of the State to pursue your research and intellectual goals; third, it provides a landing spot for countless young people who are desperate to find a way to contribute intellectually to this movement. "
From a domestic governance policy point of view, modi govt solved this problem by creating Niti Aaayog, Govt's own think tank. since all of their activities are there on their website, it is not captured on this thread.

any think tank that comes under the govt, will invariably limit themselves to the scope of diktat from govt, in that case new ideas will not be free flowing.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
There were some opeds yesterday and today hinting that chini "escalation" is happening because of India-U.S relationship, B.S . just another of those western centric world view.
chini will continue to do these things irrespective of U.S.
The above point validated both by amb. gokhale and the chini professor
=====
Where Do China-India Relations Stand?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
India - pak nuclear tests gets discussed
rahul gandhi's name gets taken in passing as a victim of SM misinformation campaign.
India pakistan nuclear postures and poilcies.
=====
Book Event: The Fragile Balance of Terror: Deterrence in the Nuclear Age
CSIS

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
U.S state department has created a "china house" where it will act like a point team to collate all information on PRC diplomatic activities and in turn give inputs on how to deal with PRC across U.S embassies wherever needed.

rest of it the usual diplo talk.
======
The US approach to the People’s Republic of China with Deputy Secretary of State Wendy R. Sherman

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
DW is using jai shankar's statement to discuss, but there is no representation of Indian view in this discussion.

our point is simple, if europe thinks territorial integrity is such a critical issue, then what is their stand on Indian territory occupied by Pak and china(two nuclear powers). on this point, they are still pretending to be deaf.

SIPRI fellow is making some good points.
Lynn Kuok continues with her role as china apologist.
======
One year since Russia invaded Ukraine: Is the West out of touch with the Global South? | Global Eyes

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
This probably belongs here, rather than in the podcast thread.

interesting bit about this conversation is , it's one of those rare conversations which are non-rhetorical. europeans involved in this conversation have kept it factual and gave out opinions where there is consensus within europe.

was thinking whether a similar conversation would happen where roles are reversed, as in three Indians having a similar conversation with a european interviewer, will it be an enriching conversation? i think not.
there are only a few Indians in public sphere who are capable of having a mature conversation without getting defensive or without giving out rhetorical barbs. or rather i haven't come across such a conversation in past year.
=====
Episode 47 | The Future of Europe (Raisina Dialogue)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles