Global Think tank discussions on India & neighbourhood

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
An Interesting debate on various levels. Thanks for sharing it.
Gives the uninitiated an insight as to how Americans think.
Some of the questions stemmed from NGO crackdown and the hurt showed!!
The muslim girl at the end was true to her colours; went as far as to call Imran a strong politician. Her lopsided views and remarks re development assistance etc were true to form.
The Indian journalist lady--without being strong in her views--gave a good account of herself and actually stood up to some of the balderdash being meted out.

Let's see what Modi 2.0 can achieve---he needs to galvanise the economy
That was the purpose of this thread. if you see all the videos you will also notice how india narrative is distorted by these "experts" in the U.S.

The muslim girl thing was Micheal Kugelman(a paki fan) the guy sitting at the right doing match fixing, he has his compulsions, ISI will not allow him access to paki establishment if he doesn't show loyalty. He calls himself south asia expert, but he is in fact a paki "expert". he has no clue about india beyond what he reads from lutyens opeds.

best part is that modi has surprised them at every turn, "experts" are too arrogant to admit it.
another clue to sniff out a fake "india expert" is if they say modi is responsible for Land and Labour reforms, without admitting that these are primarily state subjects.

sthf

Country flag
Interesting read.....
==========
For 66 years the Bilderberg Conference, a secretive Western grouping, has been meeting under a media blackout. Bilderberg is connected to the Trilateral Commission of which Foreign Minister S. Jaishankar's son Dhruva Jaishankar is a member. My story in BT.

Interesting indeed. Thanks for the post man.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
@ezsasa
Japanese too are part of the game then how the writer is saying japanese would be a good partner along with post communist china?

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Interesting read.....
==========
For 66 years the Bilderberg Conference, a secretive Western grouping, has been meeting under a media blackout. Bilderberg is connected to the Trilateral Commission of which Foreign Minister S. Jaishankar's son Dhruva Jaishankar is a member. My story in BT.

This one if you go into Twitter account of rakesh krishnan simha in this Twitter page only, rakesh sir is replying to somebody question on WHO CAN BE INDIA PARTNER? and rakesh sir is replying japan can be.
I am asking your thoughts on that.
Isn't japan too part of the gutter?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
This one if you go into Twitter account of rakesh krishnan simha in this Twitter page only, rakesh sir is replying to somebody question on WHO CAN BE INDIA PARTNER? and rakesh sir is replying japan can be.
I can only speculate at this point...

It is possibly because it is easier for Japanese to further integrate into Indian economy because their industry has been here for past 40 years.

At this point in time we have to wait and watch as far as Japan is concerned, now that Thailand, Vietnam SE Asia is the destination for shifting Chinese manufacturing, would japan be interested at the same level as before. Japan would rather invest in those countries than India for export market.

IndianHawk

Country flag
I can only speculate at this point...

It is possibly because it is easier for Japanese to further integrate into Indian economy because their industry has been here for past 40 years.

At this point in time we have to wait and watch as far as Japan is concerned, now that Thailand, Vietnam SE Asia is the destination for shifting Chinese manufacturing, would japan be interested at the same level as before. Japan would rather invest in those countries than India for export market.
Japan is ramping up investment in India .

https://m.economictimes.com/news/ec...-in-indias-ne-states/articleshow/69757901.cms

2 billion USD in North East recently . Mostly for road and water project some for forest management.

This is Japanese govt investment like Mumbai bullet train. Massive investment by Japanese corporation for market penetration is different i.e. expansion of Suzuki plants and new plants and Toyota - Suzuki collaboration.

Btw Korean also coming in heavy with Samsung trying to defend market share and Hyundai bringing Kia in with new plant and dealerships.

Japanese did the same in china although the process may have been faster.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Japan is ramping up investment in India .

https://m.economictimes.com/news/ec...-in-indias-ne-states/articleshow/69757901.cms

2 billion USD in North East recently . Mostly for road and water project some for forest management.

This is Japanese govt investment like Mumbai bullet train. Massive investment by Japanese corporation for market penetration is different i.e. expansion of Suzuki plants and new plants and Toyota - Suzuki collaboration.

Btw Korean also coming in heavy with Samsung trying to defend market share and Hyundai bringing Kia in with new plant and dealerships.

Japanese did the same in china although the process may have been faster.

Yes, I factored the NE investment and bullet train. These are a result of discussions prior to 2018.

U.S ramping up pressure on China is a recent phenomenon, companies moving to Vietnam etc are also a recent phenomenon.

Say Japan today has a new 10 billion target for spending in Asia today, how much of it will come to India in next 5 years. Japanese investment in building factories are the need of the hour.

sthf

Country flag
Japan is your best bet in the next 10-15 years. Neither India nor Japan can handle Chinese belligerence on their own. Plus, you cannot buy the kind of goodwill Japan has earned in the last 3-4 decades around the world.

India, Japan and the Asia Africa Growth Corridor

https://www.gatewayhouse.in/japan-aagc/

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Not a think tank discussion, but the american think tanks exist to give inputs to these kind of meetings. and the money gets approved by U.S congress thru these meetings. gives a clue into what happens next from american stand point.
==================
Subcommittee Hearing: U.S. Interests in South Asia and the FY 2020 Budget

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Pearls of wisdom....
=================
Ex RAW Chief[Must Watch] Vikram Sood exposes Pakistan Army's Myth & Much More.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
https://warontherocks.com/2019/06/t...past-and-future-of-the-u-s-india-partnership/

A report that actually acknowledges India USA differences and calls to lower the expectation on mutual relationship.

Very detailed with multiple resources linked in.

One of the authors is from Stimson centre, it used to be Pakistan’s voice up until few years back. Donno if it is still the case now. Micheal kugelman seems to have taken that role now.

If you watch the Pakistani ambassador video I posted few days back, in the Q&A you will find all pak scholars(students) are from Stimson centre.

Irrespective of what these pieces say, India’s stand is very clear. India is going to be equidistant for many years to come, Jaishankar had made it clear couple of months ago.

More over as long as India-US trade keeps growing, every thing else does not matter much.

S.A.T.A

One of the authors is from Stimson centre, it used to be Pakistan’s voice up until few years back. Donno if it is still the case now. Micheal kugelman seems to have taken that role now.

If you watch the Pakistani ambassador video I posted few days back, in the Q&A you will find all pak scholars(students) are from Stimson centre.

Irrespective of what these pieces say, India’s stand is very clear. India is going to be equidistant for many years to come, Jaishankar had made it clear couple of months ago.

More over as long as India-US trade keeps growing, every thing else does not matter much.
India needs to set right expectation for its ties with the US. I was never sold to the strategic partners thing that was being peddled from the Clinton years. With the exception of the NSG waiver, we really don't have many strategic or diplomatic achievements to talk about from our three decades long strategic entanglement with US.

While I support robust economic and diplomatic engagement with US, let's also engage with China with a similar strategic intent. Our threat perceptions regarding China needs to be envisaged purely from an Indian point of view and not that of the US. From the economic perspective we cannot ignore the world's second largest economy. I hope Modi govt will find scope for recalibrating our China engagement.

Indrajit

Country flag
India needs to set right expectation for its ties with the US. I was never sold to the strategic partners thing that was being peddled from the Clinton years. With the exception of the NSG waiver, we really don't have many strategic or diplomatic achievements to talk about from our three decades long strategic entanglement with US.

While I support robust economic and diplomatic engagement with US, let's also engage with China with a similar strategic intent. Our threat perceptions regarding China needs to be envisaged purely from an Indian point of view and not that of the US. From the economic perspective we cannot ignore the world's second largest economy. I hope Modi govt will find scope for recalibrating our China engagement.
While I agree with you on the part about the US, I don’t get the China bit at all. Our threat perception regarding China is far greater than anything the US perspective can bring in. We have $50 billion trade deficit with the chinese versus a $ 21 billion surplus with the US. The Chinese won’t treat us as equals, they will treat us a second rate power, okay as long as we are subservient. The only reason the Chinese are showing any interest in us is because of the US pressure. No other.

The US is a strategic ally/ partner, maybe in some eyes, a poor one. The Chinese are a strategic opponent, they will give you no quarter. We simply can’t afford to be wooly headed on this.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

China right now is like a teenager who is high on youthful energy, who thinks his parents are always wrong and he is always right. Add to that the Chinese mentality of win at any cost, hook or crook.

Moreover there are hardly any cases of Chinese engagement which has been beneficial to the partner. Pakistan being the prime example...

Such a teenager needs someone to give nice slap to get him on right track.

America atleast is a democracy where there is a certain level of transparency, in China’s case we don’t know what they are actually planning.

S.A.T.A

While I agree with you on the part about the US, I don’t get the China bit at all. Our threat perception regarding China is far greater than anything the US perspective can bring in. We have $50 billion trade deficit with the chinese versus a $ 21 billion surplus with the US. The Chinese won’t treat us as equals, they will treat us a second rate power, okay as long as we are subservient. The only reason the Chinese are showing any interest in us is because of the US pressure. No other.

The US is a strategic ally/ partner, maybe in some eyes, a poor one. The Chinese are a strategic opponent, they will give you no quarter. We simply can’t afford to be wooly headed on this.
Of course we are geopolitical rivals, but we need not be hostile rivals. Chinese role in the NSG waiver indicates that they don't necessarily take a one size fits all view on India. Trade is one area were there is scope of true realignment. Here is a massive market right next door and the best way to reduce trade deficit is to to expand trade with China. China is keen to develop its western regions and we are interested in tapping into their large Middle class. There is convergence of interest here and we need to work on this. Let's extend transport connectivity, as envisaged under the auspices of BIMSTEC, to China. Few years ago there was talks of connecting KOLKATA with Yunnan. Why not expand it and go for a Mumbai - Shanghai transport corridor. China is the gatekeeper to various power corridors that we are keen to gain admission into, NSG, NPT, UNSC and hence there is a need for greater engagement with China.

S.A.T.A

China right now is like a teenager who is high on youthful energy, who thinks his parents are always wrong and he is always right. Add to that the Chinese mentality of win at any cost, hook or crook.

Moreover there are hardly any cases of Chinese engagement which has been beneficial to the partner. Pakistan being the prime example...

Such a teenager needs someone to give nice slap to get him on right track.

America atleast is a democracy where there is a certain level of transparency, in China’s case we don’t know what they are actually planning.
It appears US increasingly resembles the petulant teenager throwing tantrums. I'm seriously wary of US intentions in the region and even more so about our putative role in it. America has taken a decisive nationalist turn in its foreign policy and I'm not sure what price they expect India to pay to keep this strategic partnership. Instead of adopting, the tried and now failed policy, of maintaining equidistance let's maintain equal engagement with China, Russia and US.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles