Global Think tank discussions on India & neighbourhood

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
as far as i recall, this is the first non-political(domestic) discussion on modi that is available.
in other words, book version of what DFI mostly discusses on, outside of domestic political topics.
=====
Crunch Time: Narendra Modi’s National Security Crises

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Nothing to disagree with, all factual information.
a bit nuanced on trade, but that's his job description.
========
Richard Rossow
India’s View of Ukraine

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
all was going well until kugelman tried to slide in India's "Hindu Nationalist Policy" wrt pakistan.

this fellow needs to be made to explain his positions on India in a proper one on one debate in India. they don't have the guts to face in-person scrutiny.
=====
South Asia Update: Developments in Pakistan and India

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Most informative speech by an Indian Finance minister in U.S.

Jaitley too gave good speeches, but at that time those were theoretical ideas, we didn't know whether the experiments would succeed or not. But now finance minister can say with full confidence, that central govt policy interventions worked extremely well and are a global success.
=======
A conversation with the Indian Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman

Last edited:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Most informative speech by an Indian Finance minister in U.S.
=======
A conversation with the Indian Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman

Will watch it later on. I remember Anand Mahindra telling a compulsive critic of Modi about the detoxification of the Indian economy. I hope she has talked about it. The bank books seem to be getting cleaner and cleaner if I am not wrong.

@Indx TechStyle @Haldilal and other good members please share your thoughts on the Indian Economy thread. Link

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
somehow never followed france based India related discussions(language barrier), looks like french are more intelligent and independent thinkers going by audience questions, as compared to brits and muricans. very broad questions, as in not narrow minded like the ones muricans and brits ask.

shouldn't have judged France based on France24 news debates on India, France24 chaps and their guests don't know anything about India, including their south asia editor.

Jai shankar, as always every discussion from him is a master class in diplomacy.
======
Conference with Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, External Affairs Minister of India

Last edited:

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
somehow never followed france based India related discussions, looks like french are more intelligent and interdependent thinkers going by audience questions, as compared to brits and muricans. very broad questions, as in not narrow minded like the ones muricans and brits ask.

Jai shankar, as always every discussion from him is a master class in diplomacy.
======

I've used this line some places before as a *meme*,

"When life gives you Subrahmaniam, make it Jaishankar not Swamy...":tongue:

hit&run

Mod
somehow never followed france based India related discussions(language barrier), looks like french are more intelligent and independent thinkers going by audience questions, as compared to brits and muricans. very broad questions, as in not narrow minded like the ones muricans and brits ask.

shouldn't have judged France based on France24 news debates on India, France24 chaps and their guests don't know anything about India, including their south asia editor.

======

I must say it is a very difficult job to be in.

'Aggregating interactions do not automatically lead to geometry'.

Well, this is how details and a leader's strong commitment come in to make any relationship deliver.

OK, back to Ms NSR's AV.

hit&run

Mod
As I am going through the above AV of Ms NSR, and previously watched an interaction of Mr Piyus Goel with the Australian delegation then jumped on to the above AV of EAM it is quite astounding that even being so articulate and ladened with so many specifics including future projections and roadmaps there is zero discussion among NDTV et al ecosystem. Looks like they are only here to sell new reforms as a shock to the masses to create unrest and despondency.

Of course every change also brings about unsetting of the current stream but is it the only offering that it entraps? One has to ask.

@ezsasa no offence but this is the most underrated thread of the forum. You need to be more creative to invite members to venture here more. :tongue:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
zero discussion among NDTV et al ecosystem. Looks like they are only here to sell new reforms as a shock to the masses to create unrest and despondency.

Of course every change also brings about unsetting of the current stream but is it the only offering that it entraps? One has to ask.
i call this "running an interference". if we see India as whole as an enterprise, these folks including coconuts are attempting to run an interference to disrupt our bottom and top line . ultimately everything is about money and the power to control that money.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Nothing much, Paki FM may not have any impact unless they win the next elections.
======
A conversation with the Honorable Finance Minister of Pakistan, Miftah Ismail

hit&run

Mod
i call this "running an interference". if we see India as a whole as an enterprise, these folks including coconuts are attempting to run an interference to disrupt our bottom and top line . ultimately everything is about money and the power to control that money.
I think it is a correct analysis. Having said that, then it should be fair to impose costs on them especially if their trade practices are harming the other side's interests. I mean if they are benefiting from something like publishing or disseminating a piece of selective information or narrative for money then they should also be ready to pay the price of the consequences it inflicts.

Interesting.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I think it is a correct analysis. Having said that, then it should be fair to impose costs on them especially if their trade practices are harming the other side's interests. I mean if they are benefiting from something like publishing or disseminating a piece of selective information or narrative for money then they should also be ready to pay the price of the consequences it inflicts.

Interesting.
i think answer is in this profile video on Jai shankar, not hard to imagine that modi gave the same instructions to other ministries as well, that is to focus on tangible outcomes, less on rhetoric. there were news reports indicating this in 2014-15 as well as in 2019 as well.

ideally govt should not be the only one defending India, private sector should also contribute. ordinary citizens are doing it anyway on SM.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
There is so much academic research being generated on the premise of "Hindu Nationalism" wrt Modi, no wonder western media brings it in almost every context related to India, because they have the academic backing to use it.

i wonder if anyone is going thru these literature in a systematic manner and validating the assertions.
=====
from a paper.
Screenshot 2022-04-25 at 1.23.11 PM.png

a different paper.
Introduction: Narendra Modi and India’s foreign policy

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Biased panel, since most of them have worked for UN, hence the TINA conclusion.
still hanging on to "western liberal world order" trope, which basically comprises of 42 countries out of 190 odd countries in the world
they talk against "hyper nationalism" but are still unwilling to recognise that liberal world order works for regions with settled border disputes, not in regions with active border disputes. they don't recognise that pervasive global liberalism is detrimental to peace when countries want to protect themselves, India is a prime example.

"liberal world order" didn't prevent ukraine war, it made things worse for ukraine the country and it's citizens.
=====
Raisina Dialogue 2022 | The Doctrine of Lapse: Lessons from the UN Era

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
"Stating the obvious" and a bit of self-promotion isn't a bad thing.
"Capability, Capability, Capability" mantra for next 25 years.
=======
Chasing the Monsoon: Life@75

There was a time that in this part of the world we were the only democracy. We should be focusing on our capabilities in every field & must be fixated on outcomes & leveraging from international environment in coming years: EAM S Jaishankar on India's future course in next 25 yrs

We have to be confident in who we are. It's better to engage with the world as to who we are rather than pleasing the world by being a pale imitation of what they are, the idea that we need to get approval from other quarters has to be put behind: EAM S Jaishankar

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
The lady Lynn Kuok is back again, she does the same thing again. she inserts her own statements after every round of Q&A. have to wonder who is inserting her in our discussions.

======
Domestic Discord, Global Expectations: Will the American Eagle Fly?

for reference

the way the moderator came out swinging at EAM right at the start was most disrespectful, but when you see her career profile lynn kuok ( brookings - singapore - iisc - shangri la dialogue) it's more than a trifecta, all of them favour china.

on the four questions, apparently this is a technique used to put the other party on the defensive, was looking at it last month to check if this technique has a name, so far no success. we notice this quite frequenly used by BBC when it comes to interviewing anyone from BJP. i doubt anyone else from our side could have handled it well, other than jai shankar. she was not adversarial to any of the other panelists.
As a follow up to her question on China and the West’s ties with India, the panel moderator sought to assert that India strengthened bilateral relations with Quad members “at the very least” as a post-Galwan answer to China but Dr Jaishankar reminded the audience that the “incarnation of the Quad” started in 2017 and that it is not a post-2020 development. India’s relations with the Quad partners “have steadily improved in the last 20 years,” he said, adding, “Again, as I said, you are making it seem like cause-and-effect. I would challenge that.”

The entire course of the conversation indicates that the agenda at hand was to show India’s position on the Russia-Ukraine tensions as hypocritical and manoeuvre India into perceivably admitting the same. Lynn Kuok, who comes from the International Institute for Strategic Studies, a British think tank, sought to do her job first by posing a direct question on whether India believed in “different principles for different parts of the world” and when that did not throw Dr Jaishankar off, she seemingly sought to establish the notion that the West had done undue favours for India in the Indo-Pacific and so, in turn, India should return the love in Europe. But that ‘trap’ too did not reap any success with India’s astute foreign minister.

Words are the weapon of a diplomat, especially a foreign minister- and how he or she wields them can make or break a country’s justification of its foreign policy stands. Any unsuspecting rookie would have taken the kind of bait laid out for Dr Jaishankar, but his words were calculated to the T and his stand was not compromised at any given time.

Kumata

Country flag
The lady Lynn Kuok is back again, she does the same thing again. she inserts her own statements after every round of Q&A. have to wonder who is inserting her in our discussions.
Perhaps a CCP implant into british establishment .. I am thinking too far i guess but her chinese ancestors do bring that angle... She is repeatedly trying too bring FM under the bus...

But

Our FM is turning out to be a hot property looking at past indian FM's ... I expect a "toolkit" shortly to upset the cart..Gora saab won,t like a Brown man taking them to cleaners..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles