Global Think tank discussions on India & neighbourhood

S.A.T.A

Agreed but what Should we do when Chinese make moves openly against us.
As in doklam confrontation was a necessity!

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk
Such irritants will remain until there is comprehensive peace and friendship, which I don't foresee in near future. However we should try not adding any irritants and see how Chinese respond. If China is willing to a step forward let's move along and see where it leads. If it leads to nothing, we are none the worst for the effort. But if it leads to establishing of better understanding between the two countries, we can only gain.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Such irritants will remain until there is comprehensive peace and friendship, which I don't foresee in near future. However we should try not adding any irritants and see how Chinese respond. If China is willing to a step forward let's move along and see where it leads. If it leads to nothing, we are none the worst for the effort. But if it leads to establishing of better understanding between the two countries, we can only gain.
Up until now china has been hostile anyway let's wait and watch what jaishankar has in mind.

Modi wouldn't appoint a bureaucrat at cabinet rank unless a major policy move is being made.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Strength recognizes strength.

As Indians/Hindus singing sickularism song,coward policies towards Islamists inside&outside,worst opposition party and filthy anti-India presstitutes ...They know we are in-capable of taking risks.So,Chinkis simply bullying us.
We are a democracy we can't stifle voices of different spectrum. Chinese have not been able to bully even Bhutan since doklam. So strength for strength holds true.

But true strength today is economical and that will come with deeper techno - economic ties with Western world ( including Japan /soko.)

IndianHawk

Country flag
There is HUGE difference between DIFFERENT VOICES and Hating India..... Our opposition&Presstitutes loves the people who hates India and even DAMAGES INDIA'S image (fake rape cases,Rape capital,muzzies in danger,hindu terrorism etc etc).

IF we fail to control INTERNAL GADDARS then how can any one respect us

PS: Opposition party &major presstitutes are not random joe's.
They need to be drowned out by even bigger voices in support of nationalism. Just like Modi campaign they cried murder on television and print media yet people trusted modi.

Support nationalist TV and publications and alternative media channels on YouTube etc.
Republic TV news, swarajya magzene etc.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
We Host the govt in exile for a province which GoI itself recognizes as part of China... We both have trodden each other's toes. We need to look beyond this.
That episode ended with those Chinese capturing our land and also pakistan giving our kashmir territory to them.
I am sorry but you are sounding more like nehru during his 1950s years.

S.A.T.A

That episode ended with those Chinese capturing our land and also pakistan giving our kashmir territory to them.
I am sorry but you are sounding more like nehru during his 1950s years.
Nehru's dual faced diplomacy is what the Chinese call Indian ambivalennce or insincerity in its China policy. Unfortunately all govt, post Nehru have retained this ambivalence. Can you imagine the position of the the foreign office team, when Chinese counter our charge of Chinese insincerity, by showing to us to our face the ambiguity of India's one China policy on one hand and support for the Tibetan govt in exile on the other. The point I'm making is neither China nor India exactly have the monopoly on insincerity when it comes to India - China ties. Hence China and India must not allow lack of sincerity to hold them back from mending their ties.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Nehru's dual faced diplomacy is what the Chinese call Indian ambivalennce or insincerity in its China policy. Unfortunately all govt, post Nehru have retained this ambivalence. Can you imagine the position of the the foreign office team, when Chinese counter our charge of Chinese insincerity, by showing to us to our face the ambiguity of India's one China policy on one hand and support for the Tibetan govt in exile on the other. The point I'm making is neither China nor India exactly have the monopoly on insincerity when it comes to India - China ties. Hence China and India must not allow lack of sincerity to hold them back from mending their ties.
That can be done only by people to people contact like of what something happened in india-US ties.
How it is possible in China case, I don't understand?
Bastards are first-rate bastards.

S.A.T.A

That can be done only by people to people contact like of what something happened in india-US ties.
How it is possible in China case, I don't understand?
Bastards are first-rate bastards.
I'm sorry I didn't understand, what can be done by people to people contact?

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
I'm sorry I didn't understand, what can be done by people to people contact?
I Meant people to people interaction,goodwill, friendship,etc.
This can only happen in democracies not with China type country.

S.A.T.A

I Meant people to people interaction,goodwill, friendship,etc.
This can only happen in democracies not with China type country.
China is today a remarkably welcoming society. At any rate they receive more visitors than us and sends out more tourists than anyone. Language barrier will be a spoiler, but I don’t see any reason for lack of people to people contact. However I don't place much premium on such interactions having any significant influence on govt decision making.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
China is today a remarkably welcoming society. At any rate they receive more visitors than us and sends out more tourists than anyone. Language barrier will be a spoiler, but I don’t see any reason for lack of people to people contact. However I don't place much premium on such interactions having any significant influence on govt decision making.
Going by this video, benefits of people to people contacts are slim. And this is Shanghai if I am not wrong which is a “progressive” Chinese city.

They are parrots, they repeat what their govt approved media tells them.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
China is today a remarkably welcoming society. At any rate they receive more visitors than us and sends out more tourists than anyone.
China being socio economically better and nothing else is a factor in it. "More welcoming" matters with hotels and infrastructure.

S.A.T.A

Going by this video, benefits of people to people contacts are slim. And this is Shanghai if I am not wrong which is a “progressive” Chinese city.

They are parrots, they repeat what their govt approved media tells them.
The opinions displayed in the video reflects the diversity of opinions that exist on India among Chinese. One individual refers to the BRIC and thinks Chinese subconsciously see India as a rival, the other girl thinks Indians are unhygienic because they eat using their hand. So on hand you deep informed perspective, on the other hand a ill-informed cultural prejudice. I bet if the same survey was done in any other western city, you would find a similar mixture of opinions.

Chinese are a bit like Indians. We are both nationalistic and won't bad mouth our country in front of others and generally tend to look down upon our principle adversaries.

S.A.T.A

China being socio economically better and nothing else is a factor in it. "More welcoming" matters with hotels and infrastructure.
Precisely and invariably this also reflects their national self confidence. I believe we need to start reflecting on Chinese development from a fresh perspective and with less western induced bias.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
We are both nationalistic and won't bad mouth our country in front of others
Not case with all Indians.
Precisely and invariably this also reflects their national self confidence. I believe we need to start reflecting on Chinese development from a fresh perspective and with less western induced bias.
Our perspective is our own about any country, independent from any western perspective.
We don't need to be pro western to be disapprove of authoritarian communist models. Most of us are naturally like that.

S.A.T.A

Not case with all Indians.

Our perspective is our own about any country, independent from any western perspective.
We don't need to be pro western to be disapprove of authoritarian communist models. Most of us are naturally like that.
Independent perspective is mostly a fiction. Forget about China or any other country, how much of our own opinions about India, her history, society, religion and other facets are result of western schooling. I certainly don't mind if Indian and western (mostly US) strategic paradigms, regarding China, converge at some point in time, but it would be to India's disadvantage if west shepherds this convergence.

Illusive

Country flag
Our aim should be more trade with ASEAN nations and middle east countries, use US relations with them to our advantage.

With Asean countries we should look at mutually beneficial trade deals, not one sided ones like chinese, every nation has large trade deficit with china and no developing countries like that. I hope we build a rail link up to Vietnam.

Our long term goal should be to create something like the eurozone in that region with a single trade currency.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Independent perspective is mostly a fiction.
Indeed, we all react when we learn from around. But assigning Indian perspective with the attribute of being western and not neutral is entirely true.
Western propaganda might be there about for most of eastern culture but that doesn't help to downplay the faultlines of a communist state and threat posed by PRC.

PRC doesn't see us a long term ally but threat. And we can't change it anyway. Only we have potential and trajectory to catch up with a large country being only other country with such a large manpower. They will always try to decimate India and it's not a western propaganda.

Sooner we realise, better for us.

S.A.T.A

Indeed, we all react when we learn from around. But assigning Indian perspective with the attribute of being western and not neutral is entirely true.
Western propaganda might be there about for most of eastern culture but that doesn't help to downplay the faultlines of a communist state and threat posed by PRC.

PRC doesn't see us a long term ally but threat. And we can't change it anyway. Only we have potential and trajectory to catch up with a large country being only other country with such a large manpower. They will always try to decimate India and it's not a western propaganda.

Sooner we realise, better for us.
Take for instance the ongoing tensions between US and Iran. The general sense one gets, if one survey Indian electronic and print media, is that Iran is responsible for the ratcheting up of the tension and US is somehow trying to bring order. However we know that US is solely responsible for the current situation by unilaterally withdrawing from the multilateral nuclear deal it had signed with Iran, imposed additional sanctions on Iran, when everyone agrees (I.e except US) that Iran has adhered to its side of the nuclear bargain. This is the power of the western media to mold international perspective and I have no reason to believe India has been a exception. I mean how many of us actually read Iranian scholars and analyst to gain Iranian perspective. How many Iranian opinion makers have appeared on Indian media to give us the other side of the story.

Indeed India has some catching up to do with China and the west and this is why advocate India could take some lessons from the Chinese playbook. China too had a history of animosity towards US and Japan, but it did not let those (both real and imagined) threat perceptions to stall heightened economic engagement with those two countries and look where they are today. Diplomatic and geopolitical differences should not prevent us from engaging China in a robust economic partnership because India has much more to gain than China from this engagement.

S.A.T.A

Our aim should be more trade with ASEAN nations and middle east countries, use US relations with them to our advantage.

With Asean countries we should look at mutually beneficial trade deals, not one sided ones like chinese, every nation has large trade deficit with china and no developing countries like that. I hope we build a rail link up to Vietnam.

Our long term goal should be to create something like the eurozone in that region with a single trade currency.
Not just SEA there are huge opportunities opening up in Africa and Latin America. But our diplomatic corp is hugely understaffed (and at times underqualified) to carry-on multi pronged engagements. It's variously estimated that our foreign service is 1/10 the size of its Chinese counterpart. We need to significantly increase our diplomatic staff and I think serious thought must be given to recruit candidates for foreign services directly from universities...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles