Ghatak Assault Rifle in Person ( Review )

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Unexpected at best, Again... :)

Was preparing to visit my friends at Delhi, When one of ours Senior member From DFI informed about a defense exhibition was going on at Delhi :cool3:, Though it was not a priority but I visited the exhibition, Where I spotted OFB stall and a black rifle, It has a unerring resemblance with AK and that instant I knew it was Ghatak.

I approached the officials at the stall and introduced myself, the officials at the stall were polite and resourceful, He handed me the Rifle for closer inspection and were helpful answering my quarries.

I had little time and lot to see, I took few snaps of the rifle & I am happy to share with others here with the knowledge that I got from the exhibition, the Following post will contain both Images and comments.

======================

@Chinmoy @A chauhan, @agentperry, @Ankit Purohit, @Apollyon, @arnabmit, @bengalraider, @Bheeshma, @bose,
@cloud_9, @Defenceindia2010, @DEXTER07, @Dovah, @Ganesh2691, @Hari Sud, @Illusive, @indian_sukhoi, @jackprince, @Keshav Murali, @kshkumsin, @kurup, @latsar, @lcatejas, @Lions Of Punjab, @maomao, @mikhail, @Neeraj Mathur, @nishantgupta, @Patriot, @RAM, @sasi, @Sumonmitra20, @The Messiah, @Tronic, @TrueSpirit, @Waffen SS, @Welcome, @WMD @Ray sir, @ALBY, @arnab maity, @arnabmit, @Dovah, @JBH22, @navkapu, @sesha_maruthi27, @shafiq alam, @W.G.Ewald, @ersakthivel, @arnabmit , @Keshav Murali, @AVERAGE INDIAN, @Patriot, @SilentKiller , @cobra commando , @pmaitra , @WMD , @Neil, @civfanatic , @ladder, @asianobserve, @bengalraider, @captonjohn , @Decklander Sir .. , @shuvo@y2k10, @aditya g @sayareakd Sir.. , @DivineHeretic, @trackwhack, @sob, @pmaitra , @LETHALFORCE, @Yusuf, @Bangalorean, @Twinblade, @Anshu Attri @ALBY, @arnab maity, @arnabmit, @bose, @Defenceindia2010, @Dovah, @JBH22, @Keshav Murali, @mehrotraprince, @navkapu, @rvjpheonix, @rishivashista13 @sesha_maruthi27, @shafiq alam, @sayareakd Sir, @Ray Sir, @Decklander Sir, @AVERAGE INDIAN, @ninja85, @Patriot, @SajeevJino, @TrueSpirit1, @Waffen SS, @republic_roi97 @Twinblade, @bhramos, @pmaitra @Kyubi, @Abhi9, @Patriot @Raj Malhotra

And all others..

======================

1. Political discussions is not encouraged in technical thread.

2. Read the first post and first page before posting reply.
3. No bashing or ranting, Though constructive replies with logic are welcome.
4. No off-topic quarries are allowed.

Thank you.. :)

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

At first look & touch, The rifle is clean and compact, It was lighter compare to Bulgarian AK when holding, When loaded this may probably weight 4kgs unlike Bulgarian ones are is 4.5 kg full loaded, It was pleasure to hold this Rifle.

This Rifle is design for spray and pray much like AK & AKM which are for CQB ops, Though the Rifle retain AKM`s major parts but twist resides in its sights and working mechanism which are related to INSAS 1B1.

What makes Ghatak looks different from his brother AKM is the overall ergonomic from hand guard to pistol grip and sights specifically for Indian soldiers and the training he gets, The rifle feels is durable yet smooth, Ghatak is indeed a improvement over Bulgarian and Romanian AKs in service, However a folded butt-stock would be really handy in CQB.

I was most impressed with the fiber quality and the sights that Rifle offers compare to present AKM under service ( Bulgarian as well as Romanian ) It is unfortunate that i cannot used this rifle over firing range to know full extend of its capability and perform-ace.

Following post will contain both Images and comments on specific parts of the rifle that i find interesting most.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Hand Guard

The most appealing part of this rifle are its hand guard due to its ergonomic design, the tactical hand-guard has build in quad rail ( Mil specs ) but has much surface covers with smooth fiber, Unlike the once made of complete aluminum are uncomfortable when used in long run without using gloves, In our Army and paramilitary gloves are not an part of fighting kit, Keeping this in mind the design solves the problem.

Having quad rail, The side rails are most resourceful which are again missing from present serving AK and AKMs, for mounting flash light and essential gadgets in today's warfare such as AV/PEQ-2A or AV/PEQ-15A.

============>>

==============

Overall the hand-guard design is well designed for Indian requirement and needs of Indian solider with respect to his training ..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Pistol Grip

This grip is originally from Amogh Carbine, Unlike 1B1`s or more accurately AK47`s grip from 60s, This grip is designed keeping ergonomic in mind. The grip is angled and has slots or curves for pre positioning of fingers to place in, Its texture has tiny embedded dots all over its body for a tight and non slippery griping.

Its really ergonomic, My fingers fits really well into the curves, Despite its made of fiber the texture on it gives a rubbery feeling, The grip is so well a fit that i am sure if i pour water over it my hand wont slip out of it. This design is a major step up for soldiers who operate in marine and tropical conditions.

The only downside i find, It could have been a little larger and wider in size, But its not very short either and will work better than others in service anyways.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Iron Sights

The Iron sights are most interesting feature on this Assault rifle and perhaps impressed me the most, The front sights are H&K style front sights, Where as the rear sight is hybrid AK and INSAS 1B1 leaf sight though not fold-able.

This gives you much faster and better sight picture, Basically gives you what INSAS 1B1 gives you with its leaf sight, Such a feature will boost confidence while engaging targets at medium range with far better accuracy then using open sights trying to find the tip between the rear sights.

This feature also free the solider from getting new training while adapting to new weapon at range which is solider friendly.

=========>>

Picture used for only Representation of sight picture of AR15 / Ghatak AR

=============
=============

The rear sight has adjustable wind age and elevation, The range can be set to 1000 meters but effectiveness of the weapon is best 300 meters which is best for Close combat and majority of regular engagements.

===============
===============

Though their is chance for development, As its would be highly welcome step if the iron sights get iridium iron sights such as below one.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Receiver,Gas block & Muzzle brake

The basic outer look of the receiver is same as other AK`s around the world, It has the similar selector switch which has similar modes, One is semi other is fully auto and safety, The cocking / charging handle are all similar to an AK`s, However the magazine release and trigger so does assembly is from INSAS 1B1 when looked closely.

The receiver is most mysterious part of this rifle, As its looks similar to any other AK`s in the world while its internal working makes its most different than other AK`s around the world.

Here the 45 degree gas block is originally from AK design, The barrel is chromed line and its a 16inch one, The front sight is H&K style and the muzzle brake is slant one like found on original design, The muzzle brake is a simple yet efficient design which effectively reduce muzzle climb and rightward muzzle drift during rapid fire.

==============
==============

Having used INSAS 1b1 mostly will always like and wish to see INSAS 1B1 muzzle break on the barrel as its much more efficient design, So does same metallurgy or better used on INSAS Excalibur so it gets much more lighter, Though nothing wrong with present setup as it clears user trails already, But such improvements can be handy for much efficient design in future.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Magazine

The Magazine here is a license copy of Bulgarian Waffle style 30rnd AK magazine, This get really heavy when fully loaded nearly around 700gms, And their are metal tabs in this which stop it from shredding, Its perhaps the best choice for Ghatak as its this magazine is consider best design.

The design is best trade off between strength, Reliability and durability, The magazine has steel reinforcement at various places which increase its durability over other fiber magazine available for AK, Its solid design for Indian requirement which can take harsh punishment from a solider and from nature.

But, personally i believe it would be logical to go for a shorter Magazine of 22rnds just like on INSAS 1B1, Not because of excess ammunition or anything of such logic but merely due to excess weight, The 22 rnd magazine of 7.62m3 will surely less weight and can be around 500gms from 700gms of 30rnd magazine, Keeping in mind a foot soldier always wish for a lighter equipment.

============
============

Picture for only representation of 20rnd 7.62M43 magazine.

Cheers ! :)

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
he range can be set to 1000 meters but effectiveness of the weapon is best 300 meters which is best for Close combat and majority of regular engagements.
Why only 300 meters effective range?

airtel

Country flag
Sir , do you know the approximate cost of each Riffle ??

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Iron Sights

The Iron sights are most interesting feature on this Assault rifle and perhaps impressed me the most, The front sights are H&K style front sights, Where as the rear sight is hybrid AK and INSAS 1B1 leaf sight though not fold-able.

This gives you much faster and better sight picture, Basically gives you what INSAS 1B1 gives you with its leaf sight, Such a feature will boost confidence while engaging targets at medium range with far better accuracy then using open sights trying to find the tip between the rear sights.

This feature also free the solider from getting new training while adapting to new weapon at range which is solider friendly.

=========>>

Picture used for only Representation of sight picture of AR15 / Ghatak AR

=============
=============

The rear sight has adjustable wind age and elevation, The range can be set to 1000 meters but effectiveness of the weapon is best 300 meters which is best for Close combat and majority of regular engagements.

===============
===============

Though their is chance for development, As its would be highly welcome step if the iron sights get iridium iron sights such as below one.

Kunal sir they should think about using this rifle on the move for that they need collapsible sight, which will make it easier to mount 1/3 co witness sights. Plus they should go for open iron sights to shoot while running. That will give our soldiers tactical advantage.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
All AK with 16inch barrel effective range is 200ms after that bullet start to lose their velocity, This AK however has 300ms due to better sight.

Ghatak are cheaper than imported AKMs, Exact price is not disclosed at open sources.

Why only 300 meters effective range?
Sir , do you know the approximate cost of each Riffle ??

rishivashista13

Country flag
Sir , how is its performance in user trials ?

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It cleared it user trails and in production. This is link which tells about its preformace in trails >>

The three factories at Ishapore, Kanpur and Tiruchirapalli built prototypes that underwent tests for the first time earlier this year. Minor defects were detected in all three variants. While the one developed by the Ishapore factory was declared fit in all other aspects, it failed to operate successfully in mud. An assault rifle has to be effective in all conditions, even when fired from under slush.

"This defect was rectified subsequently and when the final round of tests was conducted, the Ishapore variant was declared the best.
Source : http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/new-ishapore-s-assult-rifle-goes-into-production.63954/

Sir , how is its performance in user trials ?

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
I really like the concept and design of Ghatak assault rifle but i think they should implement these things to their design too.

First thing is,Left-sided fire selector.
-------------------------------------------
As you can see in Polish Tantal Rifles,they put a 3-position fire selector on the left side of firearm (as majority of shooters are Right-handed so they can easily operate such fire selector with their thumbs).Even Israeli Galil rifles have them (and both Tantal and Galil are improved Kalashnikov variants.)

Tantal Rifle from Poland

Galil Rifle from Israel

even Serbian Zastava M-21 rifle has Left-sided Fire selector similar to Galil

Note:Fire selector in Galil and Zastava rifles moves with Right side Dust cover cum fire selector (You can see it in following video)
but in Polish Tantals Right side Dust cover-cum-fire selector is independent to Left side fire selector and both Fire selectors are operated seperately.In Tantals,Right side dust cover-cum-fire selector has two mods - Safe and Fire (Like any Semi-Automatic only Kalashnikov rifle) and Left Side Fire selector has three mods - Semi-automatic (in middle position,marked as 'P'),Full auto (in far left position,marked as 'C') and 3-round Burst fire (in far right position,marked as 'S').

Left sided Fire selector in Tantal rifle,here the gun is set to Full auto mod.

Here,The fire selector mechanism of Galil is shown.Notice its simplicity.

Second thing is,Modular Right side Fire selector
-------------------------------------------------------------
Current Fire selector-cum-Dust cover for Ghatak is typical AK-type fire selector.I think they should implement this kind of Fire selector on Right side.

Krebs Custom Modular Fire selector for AK rifles

and Finally,Top Mounted Detachable Rails for Optics.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Rails for Polish Beryl Rifle

This kind of Rails have little elevation so the Shooter can use Iron sights along with Optical sights,if Needed.

I know Rail section for INSAS rifle can do it too,but i think it should be put on Ghatak rifle in this format.

Some more things that should be added with Ghatak is,Folding+Adjustable buttstock,Illuminated Sights (so one can fire the gun during night using Iron sights).

P.S.
-----
Pardon me for my Weak english,as It is my third language and I'm still learning it.

armyofhind

Country flag
Internal working of the Ghatak is different from the AKM? Its not a long stroke gas piston?

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Internal working of the Ghatak is different from the AKM? Its not a long stroke gas piston?
There might be some Minor differences with Fire control group/Trigger mechanism group and Bolt carrier group.It seems that the manufacturers've designed it with INSAS' receiver in mind (Notice the curved receiver at Trigger.Insas rifles have that distinguishable curve on the trigger too.)

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
and Finally,Top Mounted Detachable Rails for Optics.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Rails for Polish Beryl Rifle

This kind of Rails have little elevation so the Shooter can use Iron sights along with Optical sights,if Needed.

I know Rail section for INSAS rifle can do it too,but i think it should be put on Ghatak rifle in this format.

Some more things that should be added with Ghatak is,Folding+Adjustable buttstock,Illuminated Sights (so one can fire the gun during night using Iron sights).

P.S.
-----
Pardon me for my Weak english,as It is my third language and I'm still learning it.
1/3 cowitness sight of AK47
view from optics

side view

this design has added advantage if red dot failed by any chance then you can use the red dot sight.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles