Ghatak Assault Rifle in Person ( Review )

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
fotor_1618302057439.jpg

Had a close look at the Ghataks today.Much lighter when compared with milled receiver Bulgarian ones. But except that, this one doesnt seem to be exceptional. The metallurgy is too bad when compared with much older bulgarian ones or even Romanian ones. Also the railed hand guards with out vertical grip was found to be bit uncomfortable to hold.
Ps:Just my observations. I am not any expert to comment.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
View attachment 85141
Had a close look at the Ghataks today.Much lighter when compared with milled receiver Bulgarian ones. But except that, this one doesnt seem to be exceptional. The metallurgy is too bad when compared with much older bulgarian ones or even Romanian ones. Also the railed hand guards with out vertical grip was found to be bit uncomfortable to hold.
Ps:Just my observations. I am not any expert to comment.
Yeah it's practically INSAS in 7.62x39mm plus AK-style configuration (presumably East German MPi-KM-72), built with stamped sheet metal receiver thus making it somewhat lighter than mostly milled receiver Bulgarian Arsenal AKs.
As for metallurgy or build quality OFB fellas just decided to continue using rivets for affixing those bolt carrier rails inside the receiver, taken straightly from INSAS. This works ok unless rivets become loose and so due to aging-abuse etc.
On almost all stamped sheet metal receiver AKs they mostly just spot-weld those bolt carrier rails, even soviets did so when AKM came.

bolt carrier rails for a kalashnikov, top one's for left side, bottom one's for right side of the receiver
1618316128771.png

after proper alignment, they are spot-welded using a spot welder, generally both rails are given 5 to 6 welds
1618316234869.png

finished job
1618316173785.png

final product, after filing off excess welds and giving it a nice finish-paint etc
1618316484791.png

1618316490536.png

😪 But OFB prefers to go ahead with rivets when building INSAS pattern rifles (until they switched to milled receiver with Mk.1C Excalibur etc), perhaps for faster production or their POV that rivets are better than welds or some other reason.
I personally believe 'inspiration' for this came from MAG machine gun that we produce here under license, as MAG has its bolt carrier rails and other stuffs affixed using rivets inside its receiver which is clearly visible from outside too.

inside view of Canadian C6 machine gun = their licensed produced version of MAG, notice the internal bolt carrier rails are affixed using rivets etc
1618318971363.png

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Yeah it's practically INSAS in 7.62x39mm plus AK-style configuration (presumably East German MPi-KM-72), built with stamped sheet metal receiver thus making it somewhat lighter than mostly milled receiver Bulgarian Arsenal AKs.
As for metallurgy or build quality OFB fellas just decided to continue using rivets for affixing those bolt carrier rails inside the receiver, taken straightly from INSAS. This works ok unless rivets become loose and so due to aging-abuse etc.
On almost all stamped sheet metal receiver AKs they mostly just spot-weld those bolt carrier rails, even soviets did so when AKM came.

bolt carrier rails for a kalashnikov, top one's for left side, bottom one's for right side of the receiver
View attachment 85178

after proper alignment, they are spot-welded using a spot welder, generally both rails are given 5 to 6 welds
View attachment 85180

finished job
View attachment 85179

final product, after filing off excess welds and giving it a nice finish-paint etc
View attachment 85181
View attachment 85182

😪 But OFB prefers to go ahead with rivets when building INSAS pattern rifles (until they switched to milled receiver with Mk.1C Excalibur etc), perhaps for faster production or their POV that rivets are better than welds or some other reason.
I personally believe 'inspiration' for this came from MAG machine gun that we produce here under license, as MAG has its bolt carrier rails and other stuffs affixed using rivets inside its receiver which is clearly visible from outside too.

inside view of Canadian C6 machine gun = their licensed produced version of MAG, notice the internal bolt carrier rails are affixed using rivets etc
View attachment 85190
I didnt find any paint finish on Ghatak.. For me the receiver and barrel looks exactly as rusty and dull as an early 2000 model Insas. People should a lesson or two from Ofb on fucking up anything. The very old wooden SLRs of 70s have much much better finish even today.

another_armchair

Country flag
I didnt find any paint finish on Ghatak.. For me the receiver and barrel looks exactly as rusty and dull as an early 2000 model Insas. People should a lesson or two from Ofb on fucking up anything. The very old wooden SLRs of 70s have much much better finish even today.
I guess fit, finish and build quality depends on the OFB factory churning out the guns.

OFB Trichy used to make very decent quality SLR's till the last decade.

Afaik, Ghatak's are made at RFI Rifle Factory Ishapore.

How does the Ghatak compare to Trichy Assault Rifle?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles