Germany's Special Forces..

methos

Country flag
I think US Seals are the only special forces who have a seperate Air-Wing!!

Do they have separate air-wing or they rely on their air force?
Well, according to the German-language wikipedia the KSK also consists of a support company stationed in Calw. Part of this company is the "Fallschirmgeräte- und Luftumschlagszug KSK" which means "paratrooping equipment - and air lifting platoon KSK" - maybe the last part of the name means that they operate their own helicopters. A whole air-wing is too large for the German special forces.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
how good are these german special forces compared to their us and israeli,indian counterparts.

methos

Country flag
I doubt that any special forces are significantly better than others. The German GSG-9 special forces host every year a competition between special forces. GSG-9 will be the judges and the other special forces teams have to do a number of pre-defined tasks. In 2011 best team was from Slovenia or Slovakia (can't remember exactly) and second place went to the police special forces of the German federal state Baden-Württemberg. SEALs didn't participate in 2010, because the scored only average marks and ended up in the middlefield in 2010. Afaik there were about 50 teams in the competitions (with atr least 16 German ones). Maybe I find the old Spiegel article to get the right informations.

The only thing better in some countries should be the equippment. E.g. U.S. special forces often use H&K weapons, just as German ones. But U.S. forces are larger and therefore can (theoretical at least) have more specialized equipment for a cheaper price (as R&D funding will be spread amongst the unit price in most cases).

Koovie

how good are these german special forces compared to their us and israeli,indian counterparts.
do this guys have any combat experience except of Afghanistan?

BTW I noticed that germany doesnt have long range cargo planes, how do thy want to transport them over long ranges without US support?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
do this guys have any combat experience except of Afghanistan?

BTW I noticed that germany doesnt have long range cargo planes, how do thy want to transport them over long ranges without US support?
List of military aircraft of Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Transport and utility
Air Force

Airbus A310 MRTT + VIP
Airbus A319 Two ordered.
Airbus A340-300 Two former Lufthansa, service entry 2009.
Airbus Military A400M (on order)
Bombardier Global 5000 Ordered, replacing Challengers.
Canadair Challenger
Transall C-160D
Ilyushin Il-62 Former Interflug, out of service.
Tupolev Tu-134 Former Interflug, out of service.
Tupolev Tu-154M Former NVA, out of service. One out of two modified for Open Skies.
Let L-410 Turbolet Former NVA, out of service.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles