Georgian Army New APC/IFV 'Lazika IFV'..

pmaitra

It is quite true. We saw Russians entering a combat zone on their vehicles and there were high casualties when the convoy was attacked. General Anatoly Khrulyov was wounded by shrapnel. You never know when you are going to be attacked and waiting until the last second to jump inside defeats the purpose. Thousands of Russians have lost their lives in Chechnya during the wars and peacekeeping being caught outside the vehicle during an ambush.
It is true that Russians sitting atop their vehicles had many casualties, but if they were sitting inside their vehicles, I can bet they would have had more casualties, especially in the Caucasian Mountains, on which Chechnya lies.

I lived in Russia for years, I know more of their soldiers than you ever will.
I have many Russian friends. One of them is from Novorossyisk. His grandfather was pro-Menshevik, and was sent to the gulags after the Bolsheviks won the Civil War. He not only hated everything about the USSR, he also made lots of wrong comments about Russia and the Soviet Union. He was born in Russia but his family move to North Carolina. Just because one is a Russian or has lived long in Russia does not earn him the crown of authenticity. Come up with a better excuse. It is obvious to be you don't know much about the experiences of Soviet soldiers with Armoured Personnel Carriers (BMPs and BTRs) in Afghanistan.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Armour or no armour, in the kinds of conflicts that we are seeing these days, carrying troops inside an armoured vehicle does not give the troops the kind of safety that it is meant to. The only pragmatic safety that one could think of is an NBC-contaminated environment.
That would be wrong to say..

There are level of Armored protection here this vehicle can protect from 14.5 HMG rounds and 23mm, But same cannot be said about a BMP-2 which cannot protect its crew from 12.7mm HMG rounds, There are measure are taken to deal with Modern RPG thread is to introduce multi-layer ERA tiles which proved there success in Iraq and Astan from RPG - 7 and Bigger and Newer RPG HEAT rounds, though every vehicle worst enemy is IED and there are newer solution are coming to deal with the thread, All of these protection comes as ad-dons hence removable when not required..

It is true that Russians sitting atop their vehicles had many casualties, but if they were sitting inside their vehicles, I can bet they would have had more casualties, especially in the Caucasian Mountains, on which Chechnya lies.
True..

Damian

You know what, the more and more I look at the Lazika, the more I'am sure that Ukrainians had a big part in it's development, just compare:

See the similarities in the rear ramp/hatch area?

Of course Lazika is not directly connected to Ukrainian tank based HIFV's, but I suspect that designers from Ukraine were helping in designing Lazika.

methos

Country flag
I don't see there much similarities... i.e. both vehicles use a basic approach for the rear compartment and door. This is also used in Puma, Ulan, Marder, CV90 etc.
The BMPT-64 lacks rear lights, but I would suggest that they would be placed below the snow track-segments mounted at the sides of the door. The door per se is very different, mainly because the BMPT-64's door is too heavy for being opened by infantry (?).

Damian

I did not say there are much similarities, but there are some hints who probably helped Georgians.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I think there are two prototypes..

There are rear ramp version also door version..

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The BMPT-64 lacks rear lights, but I would suggest that they would be placed below the snow track-segments mounted at the sides of the door. The door per se is very different, mainly because the BMPT-64's door is too heavy for being opened by infantry (?).
The door is opened and closed hydraulically then?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The Israelis may have pitched in as well...

Rafael RCWS

Or it was solely the Israelis that helped them develop the Lazika...?

cabatli_53

Nurol Ejder

Attention of top broils, twice openings at roof, lights...etc almost same with Nurol Ejder. Most probably, Turkey is helping Georgia to develop their own designs...

Last edited:

GeoFruss

yes there were ukrainians working too on this projeckt, but main engineer and 80% of engineers were Georgians. in 2013 there will be presentated lazika-2 which will have next specifications: weight 20 t, armament- 30 mm autocannon, will crew 3+9.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Find 10 differences..

Actually it is alteration of BMP- 1. Running the same. Diminished on one skating rink

Corps of executed on a french style. He will not survive hits 14,5 мм. bullets if only it is not french material. 40-мм of homogeneous armour - so much broke through the soviet rifles of PTRD and PTRS in the German tanks. An engine costs old UTD- 20 (300 HP) is visible on video, As behaves overloaded and short machine. Although for Georgian it is a stride forward. Main it is a 23-мм cannon. She allows to contest with any light armored vehicles. There is only a question with Fire-control system. Ukraine did not supply to them 2 years nothing of wares of military-oriented.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Assembling of Georgian IFV is conducted in the workshop of scientific institute "Delta" ( a workshop looks like the Chinese "garages", began 90th, where apiece collected cars, terrible quality).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles