General History Thread

WarmongerLSK

Country flag
Custard Apple is indeed native to India, but the fruit here in question is not custard apple,but is Sugar Apple, Sugar Apple is native to South America
Interesting, what I called Custard Apple in daily life is indeed Sugar Apple. And actual Custard Apple is different. Although apparently both are not native to India(from wikipedia).

Tactical Doge

๐•ฑ๐–”๐–”๐–‘๐–˜ ๐–—๐–š๐–˜๐– ๐–†๐–“๐–‰ ๐–†๐–“๐–Œ๐–Š๐–‘๐–˜ ๐–‹๐–Š๐–†๐–—
Country flag
1677615989135.png

1677616002243.png

Take the Bhagwapill pyaare
7d1102b6b9a4a2a9594bf62137225ece951d38561f2f83bc56faa265d1f67977.jpg

Varoon2

Country flag
With the mention of ice hockey in Ladakh, not totally irrelevant to mention an interesting historic anecdote. Guess where the ex-Yugoslavian leader Josip Broz Tito first saw a game of ice hockey? Not in Europe or Russia or North America.

It was in India, in Simla. What are the chances ?

dodo

Country flag
Rise Of Air Power
In a world, wherein human strides and conflicts continue to endure, it has only been natural that most of man's otherwise innocuous inventions, innovations, and emerging arts have been consigned to the fields of warfare.The genuine art of flying - a dream realized after too long - could not have been an exception. Visionaries amongst the ranks of fighting men quickly seized at it, initially just to use it as a tool in aid of war-waging on the land and sea surfaces but later because of its very versatility and omnipotence developed it into a new dimension of fighting - in the air. Through this fighting in the air, nations have acquired the ability to exert their influence and project their will and power. This ability to exert power through the medium of the air has come to be termed Air Power.

Conquest of the air had been an ambition of man for countless ages. He had been trying to fly as far back as he had been able to dream. Even his gods of ancient mythology were credited with wings through which they could get airborne. "The Chariot of Phoebus (Apollo): the winged sandals of Hermes (Mercury), subsequently lent to Perseus the fighter pilot; the stories of Pegasus and of the winged agronauts who fought. the Harpies, are all variations on a common theme." Leonardo da Vinci, at the beginning of the sixteenth century, designed and produced a winged contraption that temporarily took him off the ground it is no more than a delayed drop, but in doing so, it stimulated the development of flight. "Following him came a long trail of intrepid birdmen who spent hours watching birds in flight, and propounding theories on which they based practical experiments.โ€Although such experiments persisted yet there is no authentic record of anyone having successfully taken off from mother-earth until 1660 when Allard, and 1678 Bernier, both Frenchmen made a creditable attempt to fly with machines. In 1783, the Montgolfier brothers made experiments with balloons filled with hot air. Later hydrogen gas took the place of hot air as the lifting agent.

Many such experiments continued resulting in steerable balloons. Further modified, they were termed flying machines. Then followed machines powered by manual power, electric powerยท and even small steam engines of just three horsepower. It was not, however, until the present century when the development of the petrol engine reached a high state of efficiency that the conquest of the air became a possibility.
Man's attempts and desire to fly and its consequential effects on the affairs of mankind have also been a cause for concern for thinkers, and writers from almost all walks of life. Francesco de Lana, a Jesuit Monk, had warned the world, as early as the 17th century that in the times to come there would be airships and one of these airships might be able to cause a ship to capsize by flinging down pieces of iron, killing the crew, and setting the ship ablaze with artificial fire, bullets, and bombs. Louis P.Mouillard, an Algerian poet-farmer, who had also attempted to build a flying machine, wrote in L'Empire de L', Air in 1881 :
frontiers, strategy; all are brought to naught. It will even cause, in a very short time, the suppression of nationalities; races will be rapidly commingled or destroyed, for there will no longer be efficient barriers, not even those movable barriers which we term armies. No more frontiers! No more insular seclusion. im! (sic) No more fortresses! ... Will society perish?
He envisioned a period of distress and tempests followed by one of restored equilibrium wherein humanity will enter into possession of the empire of the air. Giulio Douhet, an ex-cavalry officer of Italy, predicted in 1909 that the sky too was about to become a battlefield. He wrote several books such as The Command of the Air (1921), Probable Aspects of Future War (1928), Recapitulation (1929), and The War of 19-- (1930). His fundamental thesis rested upon the lessons of World War I, as applied to Italy's strategic position vis-a-vis another European power in a future war.
In Douhet's opinion, only an independent air force could obtain decisive results for Italy. Aircraft, he observed, were weapons forยท offensive action, of incomparable potential, against which no effective defense could be foreseen.A nation attaining 'command of the air' could proceed to shatter the enemy's war potential and will to wage war directly by aerial bombing. He wrote:

Aerial warfare admits to no defensive attitude, only the offensive. Of two Independent Air Forces, the one stronger in combat should neither seek nor avoid aerial combat; the weaker should try to avoid it. But both stronger and weaker should always be in readiness to act even before hostilities break out; and once the action has begun, both should keep in action incessantly and with utmost violence trying to hit the enemy's most vital targets-that is, targets more likely to cause repercussions on his air power and moral resistance. He brought out that victory smiles upon those who anticipate 'changes in the character of war not upon those who wait to adapt themselves after the changes occur. And that to conquer command of the air means victory, to be beaten in the air means defeat and acceptance of whatever terms the enemy manages to impose
Alexander Graham Bell, a distinguished American scientist,in his thesis.~ before the National Convention of the Navy League of United States, Washington {April 1916) exhorted America to produce not only flying machines but aviators as well "before the time comes when the necessity for their use in war arises ... and that nation which gains control of the air will practically control the world" .

Winston s. Churchill as British Minister of Munitions, in a Memorandum dated 21 October 1917 wrote:
"War proceeds by slaughter and maneuver... it is pointed out that an air offensive has never been considered on the same scale or with the same ruthlessness regarding losses for adequate objects as prevail in the operation of armies. Airplanes have never been used to attack vital objectives in the same spirit as infantry have been used, viz. regardless of loss, the attack being repeated again and again until the objective is secured ... the indispensable preliminary to all results in the air, as in, every other sphere of war, is to defeat the armed forces of the enemy".
Brigadier General William Mitchell, an American theorist, concerned with the future role of air forces, spearheaded a public crusade for an independent Air Force. He proclaimed the dawning of an aeronautical era wherein the destinies of all people would be controlled through the air. In such an era aerial sieges could be laid against a country โ€“
"to prevent any communication with it, ingress or progress, on the surface of the water or even along railways and roads ... A new set of rules for the conduct of war will have to be devised, and a whole new set of ideas of strategy learned by those charged with the conduct of war."
Unlike Douhet, Billy Mitchell stressed the use of transportation and communications in war as well as in peace: "Just as power can be exerted through the air, so can good be done, because there is no place on the earth's surface that air power cannot reach and carry with it the elements of civilization and good that comes from rapid communications."
Air Power appeared, to these visionaries, as capable of acting faster than either land or sea forces and also capable of striking more directly at the enemy than armies or navies could. Whatsoever, the traditionalists and orthodox military men continued to consider aircraft as a sort of extended artillery only operating in conjunction with and under the control of the army commanders. The new visionaries, however, believed that air power could certainly supersede surface power. And, certain scattered incidents of armed conflicts wherein use was made of the aircraft, quickly proved that air weapon was destined to become ever more useful and was to be utilized in more important roles to achieve war aims. Nevertheless, the difficult question to answer was not whether aircraft was important, but how important it was. No definite answer as regards the ultimate efficacy of the air power could be provided. It was held by some that "as the aircraft could not be flown without a propeller, nor a propeller fly without its aircraft, so was air power related to the war effort.
It is a well-known fact that the effective development of air weapons could be carried through only by industrially developed countries that could harness technological innovations, economic resources, and scientific progress.
This was to lead to major power wars. Bruce M. Russet would have us believe that there are two distinct and incompatible views of how the distribution and redistribution of capabilities affect any incidence of major power war which can be discerned. According to him :
one predicts that there will be less war when there is approximate parity (and change towards it) among the nations and a relatively fluid power hierarchy. The other predicts that there will be less war when there is preponderance (or change towards it) of power concentrated in the hands of very few nations and a relatively stable rank order among the major powers.
It has been rightly observed that "wars appear to be inevitable in the state systems as we know it". They have to be lived through in case mankind is unable to establish a tranquil peace.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
This piece of history has the scope for becoming a proper mini-series.
and also gives a chance for many Indians to look beyond the popular perceptions of Indian royalty.

while the valour and sacrifice part of bhartiya royal histories are glorified in our pop culture, in reality their lives were more complex.
=====
The Tragic Life of Victoria Gowramma: How Victorian Monarchy Tried To Evangelise India Through An Unwilling Princess Of Coorg

https://swarajyamag.com/ideas/the-t...-india-through-an-unwilling-princess-of-coorg

Tactical Doge

๐•ฑ๐–”๐–”๐–‘๐–˜ ๐–—๐–š๐–˜๐– ๐–†๐–“๐–‰ ๐–†๐–“๐–Œ๐–Š๐–‘๐–˜ ๐–‹๐–Š๐–†๐–—
Country flag
Malayalam and Telugu, proportionately uses more Sanskrit in their language than Hindi, which heavily borrows from Persian
1678717021506.png

Kcirtap

Country flag
As a big fan of alternate histories do you guys know any alternate history work on India or the Indian subcontinent in general?

I did read one really good story on alternatehistory.com called "The Rise of the White Huns". It features the Indian subcontinent.

Tactical Doge

Country flag

Tactical Doge

Country flag
PlugsInCondoms.png

who'd win?
400 Bangladeshi swimming peasants with condoms? or American armed Pakistani navy with their Sophisticated weaponry?

Indrajit

Country flag
Dynasty list of Vedic Kings
Sri Rama's Grandson i.e son of Kusha,is contemporary to King Sudas Paijavana of Dasarajna Yuddha of Rigveda, i.e Ramayana happened even before the composition of Rigveda
Very unlikely. Sudas had as his advisors, Vishwamitra & then Vasishta. In the Ramayana, these are already established figures with different stories about them including Vishwamita coming to Dasaratha's court.

Also you see references to caste in Ramayana even if nowhere as rigid as by the time of the Mahabharatha, pretty much a non issue in the Rig veda except for the likely interpolation in the very last Rig veda mandala. Also the fact that Shiva & Vishnu (not major Gods during early Rig vedic times) play a huge role in the Ikshvaku clan along with the clan's connection to the river Ganga makes it very likely that it was post early Vedic times when Sarasvati was still the supreme river.

Confusing as most of these stories are, its still very unlikely that the Ramayana was pre Rig veda.

Vamsi

Country flag
Very unlikely. Sudas had as his advisors, Vishwamitra & then Vasishta. In the Ramayana, these are already established figures with different stories about them including Vishwamita coming to Dasaratha's court.

Also you see references to caste in Ramayana even if nowhere as rigid as by the time of the Mahabharatha, pretty much a non issue in the Rig veda except for the likely interpolation in the very last Rig veda mandala. Also the fact that Shiva & Vishnu (not major Gods during early Rig vedic times) play a huge role in the Ikshvaku clan along with the clan's connection to the river Ganga makes it very likely that it was post early Vedic times when Sarasvati was still the supreme river.

Confusing as most of these stories are, its still very unlikely that the Ramayana was pre Rig veda.
Ramayana was during early rigvedic period ....it happened between 6th & 7th mandala...

Dasharatha maharaja defeated an Asura named Timidhwaja & an Asura of same name was also defeated by Sudas's ancestor Divodasa Athithigva of RV 6th Mandala.....also Divodasa Athithigva's sister is Ahalya of Ramayana, just like it there are many snychronyms my friend

skywatcher

Country flag
After conquering India, Alexander the Great advanced towards China. When he arrived there, his attendants informed him at night that the envoy of the Chines e king had arrived.

He summoned the messenger. The envoy saluted him and asked to have a personal interview with him, so they searched him and found nothing suspicious. All those who had been with Alexander withdrew.

At this point, The envoy said, "I am the king of China. I am here to inquire about your requirements. If I can do this, I will meet your requirements and give up the war."

Alexander said to him, "How can I promise you?"

He said: "I know that you are a wise person. There is no hostility or animosity between you and me. And you know that even if you kill me, my killing cannot be a reason to transfer the Chinese people from my kingship to you. Moreover, if you do so, you will also carry a reputation for being unkind and unjust."

Alexander knew that he was clever, "I want you to immediately hand over the tax in the national treasury for three years, and half of it will belong to me every year."

He said, "I can promise you. But you should ask me what my situation will be."

"Then tell me what your situation will be."

"I will become the first person killed by soldiers and the first meal eaten by beasts."

"How about I charge you two years of land rent?"

"My situation will be better."

"What about charging you for a year?"

" I can continue to reign, but my enjoyment will be lost "

"What would your situation be like if I waived the past rent and only paid one-third of the annual rent in the future?"

"In this case, one sixth of them will go to the poor, the poor, the elderly, the sick, and the disabled to meet the needs of the country, one sixth to me, one third to the army, and one third to you.".

"I think it's so good."

"He thanked Alexander and went back. The soldiers were very happy that both sides could make peace when they heard about this. The next day, the king of China suddenly led a large army to surround Alexander's soldiers. Alexander immediately mounted his horse and led his troops down to the front of the battle. He saw the king of China wearing a crown and sitting on an elephant.
Alexander said to him," Did you break your promise and repent? "

" No. " "The king of China replied, 'But I want you to know that I submit to you not because of cowardice and inability to fight, but because I find the auspicious star of heaven shining high on you. I just want to submit to it by obeying you, and approach it by approaching you.'"

Alexander said: "A monarch like you really shouldn't be forced to collect land rent, because I have never seen anyone else who can be called a benevolent or enlightened lord except you. I will dispense with everything I originally asked you for, and immediately withdraw from you."

"You won't lose anything."

The Chinese king said, ordering someone to give him twice as many gifts as he had planned to give him before. Alexander should leave even if he retreats. People in both the East and the West succumbed to him, including the kings of Tubo and other places.

In his other historical book, "Ghurar Akhbar Muluk al Furs wa Siyarihim," Ibn Isir detailed the "list" of gifts given by the Chinese king to Alexander the Great. Including "a thousand pieces of silk, a thousand pieces of silk, a thousand pieces of brocade, a thousand pieces of silver, a thousand pieces of sable, fox, seal, squirrel, and rabbit skins each, and a kilometer of ambergris (1 meter of ambergris is approximately equal to 4. 5%)." 68 grams), a thousand Nafijie (a container specially filled with magic incense), a thousand Litres of agaric (1 Litre is approximately equal to 2564 grams), a thousand Tass of gold and silver (a vessel for drinking water: a bowl or bowl), a hundred Indian daggers inlaid with gold and gemstones, a hundred pairs of saddles, a hundred distilled Chinese mahals, and a hundred sets of refined Kaijia armor. "In addition, taxes are payable annually." The above is from "The Complete History" by Ibn Isir, a medieval Arab historian.

Happy April Fool's Day๏ผ
i_f25.png

i_f25.png

Swesh

1680833467586.png

Mathura, up in North of India, is believed to be the birthplace of Lord Krishna while Dwarka in the west is a place where he settled after defeating and killing his uncle Kansa.

Down in the South, Guruvayur has a legendary past with Krishna. It is said that Lord Krishna asked 2 sages to take the idol from his temple in Dwarka while the city was being destroyed and establish it in Kerala.

The idol of Lord Krishna was brought by Vayu Deva and Brahaspathi and was placed in Guruvayur.

But do you know Lord Krishnaโ€™s wife belonged to Northeast! Amazing legends and mythology about Lord Krishnaโ€™s association with Northeast finds place in the region.

People claim that Lord Krishnaโ€™s wife Rukmini is from the Idu Mishmi tribe of Arunachal Pradesh.

Dances and plays of Rukmini haran are common among the members of the Idu Mishmi tribal community. Some believe Rukmini was from Bhismakanagar town, a mythological site situated 30 km from Roing in the Lower Dibang Valley.

Lord Krishna had apparently fought a fierce battle with Banasura, a mighty demon king, who ruled a large kingdom (around Tezpur in Central Assam). The battle was fought after the kidnapping of Aniruddha, grandson of Lord Krishna.

Usha, daughter of Banasura had fallen in love with Aniruddha, and her friend Chitralekha, using her supernatural powers, abducted Aniruddha and brought him to Ushas, which led to a fight between Krishna and Banasura. Shiva came to rescue Banasura, his devotee. Subsequently, Aniruddha was married to Usha.

Demon king Narakasura was killed by Lord Krishna. Narakasura has unleashed a reign of terror when Satyabhama requested Lord Krishna (her husband) to wage a war against the demon king.

Krishna attacked the great fortress of Narakasura. He used the Narayanastra and the Agneyastra against the army of Narakasura. The battle was furiously fought. Lord Krishna also killed Mura, Narakasuraโ€™s general. Thus Krishna is called โ€˜Murriโ€™ (the killer of Mura).

It is also said that Lord Krishna rescued 16,100 women from the clutches of Narakashura, and married them. The demon king had forcefully kept the 16,100 women as slaves

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles