General History Thread

Kshatriya87

Country flag
The First War of Independence was not really a grass roots movement nor a pan India movement. The rebellions involved British sepoys in the Indo Gangetic plains, and did not involve the Indian sepoys in Bombay or Madras presidencies..
Also, the Rebellion in the north involved mainly upper caste Hindu and Muslim sepoys ( in Delhi they chose Mughal Bahadur Shah as the titular head ), with barely any involvement of the lower castes who form the bulk of Hindus..

So, the first War of Independence while commendable, neither had the breadth or the depth, of the Pan India grass roots movement that Gandhi inspired, which inspired even the lower castes to participate in the independence movement..

Screenshot of Areas involved in the Revolt in 1857

View attachment 179534

Our first true war of independence lie forgotten within the fog of time and tomes of propaganda: Sanyasi Rebellion, when "renouncers of the material world" lead peasants in revolt against British and fundamentalist islamic clans - Satyaagrah - Online News Portal

Read the full article. I'm not able to paste here.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
typical commie tactics, change the question itself so that a commie narrative can be introduced
original point was about colonisation (abrahamic method of colonisation), this fellow is changing it to conquering. no body said, kings from sub-continent didn't go on conquests.
=====
Did Indians Really Never Conquer Abroad? The Real Evidence

asaffronladoftherisingsun

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag
Atma Ram, the Hindu Prime Minister of the Uzbek ruler of Kunduz, 1840. He was originally from Peshawar. James Atkinson (the painter) writes: "Atmaram, a Hindoo, and native of Peshawur, is the Dewan Begee, or Prime Minister of Meer Moorad Beg, the celebrated Chief of Koodooz in Toorkistan. He has risen from the meanest origin to his present high estate; and although Hindoos are generally despised by the Uzbeks, nor even permitted to wear turbans, he has not only secured that privilege for himself and his servants, but numbers no less than four hundred slaves in his household. Alexander Burnes, in his travels, speaks in warm terms of his merits, for to him the merchant is indebted for the protection of his property from plunder, and his person form bondage. The peculiarly folded turban is the only part of his dress which marks him as an Idolater, the rest of his costume being that of an Uzbek Chieftains."

1674554697533.png

Hari Sud

Country flag

Vamsi

Country flag
Consensus in Academia is that Protugese introduced custard apple to us ....but the scientists have discovered 3500year old ( i.e 1500BCE) seeds of that fruit....since it is native to South America, then the only way it could have reached India is via only sea trade, so the question here is, do Harappans have a large ship in 1500BCE which can do such a long sea voyage? If they do,then they are truly marvelous

@asaffronladoftherisingsun @Tactical Doge @FalconSlayers @SavageKing456 @WarmongerLSK @Swesh @Indx TechStyle and others

WarmongerLSK

Country flag
Consensus in Academia is that Protugese introduced custard apple to us ....but the scientists have discovered 3500year old ( i.e 1500BCE) seeds of that fruit....since it is native to South America, then the only way it could have reached India is via only sea trade, so the question here is, do Harappans have a large ship in 1500BCE which can do such a long sea voyage? If they do,then they are truly marvelous

@asaffronladoftherisingsun @Tactical Doge @FalconSlayers @SavageKing456 @WarmongerLSK @Swesh @Indx TechStyle and others
Now, I'm not saying OIT but......

BTW, surprising that Sitaphal was not native to India, I see it growing randomly everywhere.

WarmongerLSK

Country flag

Bruh, I just read the paper. The custard apple sample was found from excavations by Pokharia and Saraswat in 1999. They write about related wood char in a paper in 2002. The radioactive carbon dating on custard apple was done in 2009. Cambridge published it online in 2016. Niraj Rai shares it in 2023. WTF!

Also, see the following parah from the paper, why does anyone think Portugese introduced it?
At least 3 species of the tropical fruit Annona have been identified in ancient Indian art and referenced in mythic literature (Gupta 1996). A. squamosa found in India at Bharhut stupa, Madhya Pradesh, place the plant in India by the 2nd century BC (Cunningham 1879). The fruit is also seen carved on the Gateways at Sanchi in Madhya Pradesh, and on the sculptures dug up in Mathura in Uttar Pradesh and at the Ajanta caves (Watt 1889). The Bharhut and Sanchi bas-reliefs are the earliest examples of Indian sculptors’ work in stone (Marshall et al. 1940; Brown 1949). Johannessen and Wang (1998) discovered Annona squamosa fruit depicted in the hands of a sculptured goddess from the 10th century AD, at Durga temple at Aihole, Karnataka, India. The custard apple was thought to be native to India from its occurrence in ancient literature, paintings, and sculptures.

WarmongerLSK

Country flag
Just found this paper: Scientific Evidence for Pre-Columbian Transoceanic Voyages.

A small excerpt:
The sweet potato also reached Asia long ago, as Baker (1971) had thought. Bretschneider (1882, 38) reported that the Chinese document Nan fang Ts’ao Mu Chang mentions the I. batatas plant. The author was Ki Han during the Tsin (Jin) Dynasty, between AD 290 and 307. We note now complementary evidence from India. Aiyer (1956, 71) cites the Sanskrit name, valli, and Pullaiah (2002, II, 307) gives two more: pindalah and raktaluh. Aiyer (1956, 71) also reports mention of I. batatas in the Hindu text Silappadikaram. Yen, in a 1996 personal communication to Johannessen, reported that the sweet potato had the same name in Sanskrit as it had in northwestern South America. Kelley (1998, 72) has studied plant names for sweet potato and concludes that β€œAn Indonesian word for β€˜yam,’ *kumadjang, appears to have been borrowed by Quechuan and by Chibchan languages (of northwestern South America) and reapplied to β€˜sweet potato.’” From Quechuan it (the name) was β€œtransferred to southern Polynesia, and from Chibchan it seems to have gone to Hawaii.” It would seem that the voyages and botanical movements involving the sweet potato were complex, and that we have detected them only in part so far.

Vamsi

Country flag
Now, I'm not saying OIT but......

BTW, surprising that Sitaphal was not native to India, I see it growing randomly everywhere.
Custard Apple is indeed native to India, but the fruit here in question is not custard apple,but is Sugar Apple, Sugar Apple is native to South America

Global Defence

Articles