Gen V K Singh takes over as Indian Army Chief

enlightened1

Member of The Month JANUARY 2010
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/lt-gen-v-k-singh-will-be-next-army-chief/570383/0http://www.indianexpress.com/news/lt-gen-v-k-singh-will-be-next-army-chief/570383/0

The government has cleared Lt Gen Vijay Kumar Singh, the current Eastern Army Commander, as the next Chief of Army Staff (COAS). The officer, who commands forces guarding most of the India-China border, will take over when General Deepak Kapoor retires from service on March 31.

Singh was cleared as the next Army Chief by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) on Thursday and a formal announcement is expected to be made shortly. Singh is a third generation officer from the Rajput regiment who has seen action in the Bangladesh war and was awarded the Yudh Seva Medal for action during the ‘Op Pawan’ against LTTE forces in Sri Lanka.

While Singh was expected to take over as the next chief, given the precedence of seniority that is rigorously followed by the government, the appointment came after his records were formally approved by the ACC. The officer will serve as the COAS for a period of two years.

The infantry officer was commissioned into the 2 Rajput in June 1970 and commanded the same unit when it was located along the LoC. Besides the Bangladesh war and Sri Lanka operations, Singh has experience in counter insurgency, line of control and high altitude operations.

He was also awarded Ati Vashisht Seva Medal (AVSM) for distinguished service while commanding a counter insurgency force. He has also served in the Military Operations Directorate at the Army Headquarters and Brigadier General Staff of a Corps during Op Parakram. The officer has also served a foreign tenure as instructor at the IMTRAT headquarters in Bhutan.

Singh is a graduate of the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington as well as the Rangers Course at Fort Benning, USA and the US Army War College, Carlisle. Before taking over the Eastern Army, Singh was commanding the Ambala-based premier strike corps of the Indian Army.

A.V.

yet another great choice a war veteran hoping he can take the army forward in coming years

..Azad

In the past India had not so good experience with the name 'V'K Singh' :p just a point.

enlightened1

“I am grateful for this honour and the responsibility which our leaders have bestowed on me. I shall carry out my duties well to lead one of the world’s finest Army. It will be my endeavor to lead the brave men while keeping up with the best tradition of the Indian Army and upholding the Indian Constitution.” - COAS designate, GOC-in C of Eastern Command VK Singh

bharat

Gen. VK Singh , New Chief of Indian Army

Compliments Of The Day !!!!!
First Of All Let me Take Liberty to Thank and Congrat Indian Politics and above all Cabinet Appointment Committee for a Wise and Genuine Decision of Appointing Gen. VK Singh as Army Chief.
My Heartiest Greetings & Blessings to Gen VK Singh on being nominated as COAS of our Nation. It is really Moments of pride for our Nation and all of us, That Person like Lt. General VK Singh Has Been Honored as New Chief of Indian Army, Trust me, All of You, He is one of the Great Humans, He deserves this Honor. Gen VK. Singh is one of the most Intelligent, Efficient, Brave, Courageous and Honest Officer of Indian Army, He is the Person who will try his level best to make good relation with all Neighboring Countries, in View of Proverb, "Friends Can Be Chosen, But Neighbors Remain Same" I am Sure he is the person who will put his all best possible efforts to bring peace back in disturbed parts of our nation and will take measures to throw out bleady menace of terrorism from our Great Nation. Our Soldiers will see a Considerable and Versatile Changes Under his Leadership, Gen. VK Singh Will Take Indian Army to Newer Heights, Will Excel and Gear up Indian Army with Sophisticated Equipments / Weapons in all Spheres, with upholding Great Historical Constitution of Nation. So Let us all together wish him all the success and best of luck in coming Endeavors, let us pray for his success, May God Bless Him. Jai Hind , Jai Bharat

Last edited:

bharat

“I am grateful for this honour and the responsibility which our leaders have bestowed on me. I shall carry out my duties well to lead one of the world’s finest Army. It will be my endeavor to lead the brave men while keeping up with the best tradition of the Indian Army and upholding the Indian Constitution.” - COAS designate, GOC-in C of Eastern Command VK Singh
Compliments Of The Day !!!!!
My Heartiest Greetings / Blessings to you on being Nominated as New COAS of our Nation. It is really moments of pride for our Nation and all of us,That you had been Honoured as new Army Chief of Indian Army,I wish you all the success and best of luck in comming endevour to lead our Army with tradition and wrightly holding indian Constitution of our nation in comming spell , My heartiest Blessings and Sincere Wishes to you, May God Bless you. Take Care / Stay Blessed with all near and dear Ones. Jai Hind , Jai Bharat

seiko

Awesome. Lets hope he is more diplomatic than our current Army Chief.
Why should an Army chief be diplomatic??His duty is to defend our country at any cost and his Gen.Kapoor statement was rightly made..he didnt said he is going to attack any country..he said he is readying his army to defend if attacked by China and Pakistan..I dont see any wrong in it ..

enlightened1

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chandigarh/New-Army-chief-Baporas-crowning-glory/articleshow/5490835.cmshttp://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chandigarh/New-Army-chief-Baporas-crowning-glory/articleshow/5490835.cms

BAPORA (HARYANA): His grandfather fought in the WW I, his father retired as a Colonel in the Indian Army, his three uncles were in the services and so were four of his cousins. And, his village, Bapora, five km from Bhiwani town in Haryana, has about 500 faujis, some still serving and some retired. So, when Lieutenant General Vijay Kumar Singh was named the Chief of Army Staff, he got his village of patriots the biggest honour it could ever have dreamt of.

It was over four decades ago that Lt Gen Singh carried the family tradition forward when he was commissioned in the Indian Army in 1969. Villagers say his grandfather Mukhram Singh’s bravery is part of village folklore, inspiring his sons to join the Army.

The sense of pride is evident in every villager’s eyes here. “With this, all our wishes have come true. This family and the village deserved this,” says his cousin Captain (retd) Krishan Pal Singh. “I have served with him in the same regiment – 25 Rajput – and was also with him when he went to Sri Lanka with the IPKF. He has been fearless and brave when in the field,” he added.

Krishan Pal Singh says all his uncles, Colonel Jagat Singh, Lt Gen VK Singh’s father, and all his brothers — Risaldar Major Banoo Singh, Dafedar Ramkanwar Singh, Lieutenant Devi Singh, Capt Ranjeet Singh and Ramchander Singh — have served in the Army.

Apart from Krishan Pal Singh, his other cousins — Subedar Major Dharam Singh, Naib Subedar Baljeet Singh and Hari Singh also joined the forces. The love for the Army got carried onto the fourth generation when Baljeet Singh’s son, Dhiren, joined the forces.

“The family now prefers Armymen when they look for grooms for their daughters,” says Krishan Pal Singh. No wonder, Lt Gen Singh’s elder son-in-law, Sangram Singh, is a lieutenant colonel, based in Delhi. His elder daughter Mrinalini Singh told TOI over phone from Delhi: “We are so proud of him. He deserves it. He has been a passionate soldier and preferred to be in the front. Me and my sister missed him during our childhood.”

His elder daughter says the passion to fight for his country was in him since he was a kid, as he first expressed it in a poem he wrote as a standard 9 student of Birla School in Pilani. “My father is humble and modest. He said it’s a tribute to the entire infantry, when he got the news,” she said.

“He has never forgotten his roots and visits Bapora often,” says his brother Santosh Singh, who stays in the ancestral home here.

“Walk round the village and you will find an ex-serviceman or one serving now in almost every household. We have made a big contribution to the Indian Army. Some have reached high ranks, like Prithi Singh, who had become the Air Marshal of the Western Command and some have been Brigadiers,” says Googan Singh, an ex-serviceman and a resident of Bapora.

palash_kol

Very good... I expect he will necessary steps to make Indian Army a world-class army...
1. Net-centric Capability
2. Quality western Helmets
3. Quality Light weight bullet-proof jacket.
4. World-class Rifles.
5. Every army will have head-phone(not like Chinese one). Even NSG does not good head-phone.

6. Implement the F-INSAS project more than anyone expect

Dark_Prince

All the Best to him, I hope procurement and development activities become his priorities with constant modernization of the forces.

bharat

I don;t Know what past experience you had with name VK singh, But I beleive it depends on time to time and Person to person , I think you are talking about the days when India was not set to face so many challenges at a time, now days had considerably changed with the pasage of time, India is ine of Powerful nation in World , and New Chief knows how to deal with and at what time , so he won't let any one down. jai Hind , jai Bharat

bharat

He is only ment to do good and take all evils out from Nation and afterall Indian Army, he Will Surely give prioroties to developments and procrements as far as I know him persoanlly

youngindian

Country flag
1st trained commando to take over as Army Chief

Next

Gen V K Singh, the senior-most infantry officer, was on Wednesday handed over charge of the Indian Army, the world's second largest, by outgoing chief Gen Deepak Kapoor and he will formally assume his new office on Thursday.

He will be the first trained commando to take over as the Army Chief.

Gen Singh, who has vast experience in counter-insurgency operations and till lately was the GOC-in-C of Kolkata-based Eastern Command, was handed over charge by Gen Kapoor at a ceremony in the South Block in New Delhi.

Kapoor retired from the Army after over four decades of service and would formally cease to be the Army Chief at midnight on Wednesday.

http://news.rediff.com/slide-show/2010/mar/31/slide-show-1-meet-indias-new-army-chief.htm

Rage

DFI TEAM
This here is the man.

Believe me when I tell you he is a top dawg.

Judging from his previous operations and combat experience, as well as the keen interest he takes in administration from his frequent visits to various bases and atolls, he will make a fine CoAS!

nandu

Commando Gen has his task cut out

NEW DELHI: Commanding the world's second-largest standing Army, next only to China, has always been a tough job. The task will become all the more daunting if General Vijay Kumar Singh, rather than being a mere status-quoist, decides to take the bull by the horns.

Gen Singh has the background for direct confrontation, having topped the gruelling commando course at Infantry School in Mhow as well as the Rangers combat-leadership course at Fort Benning in US as a young officer. A third-generation Rajput Regiment officer, he continues to be 'a fitness freak'.

But it will take more than just physical fitness to successfully tackle the bureaucratic hurdles, political pitfalls and sheer lack of long-term strategic planning that bedevil the Indian defence establishment. "Apart from serving as a major in Army HQ's military operations directorate, Gen Singh has had no experience in the corridors of power in Delhi. That is a big disadvantage. But, even though he is reticent by nature, he is clear-headed and highly-focused," said a top officer.

Focus is something he will certainly require. Gen Singh, who took over from Gen Deepak Kapoor on Wednesday as the 24th chief of the 1.13-million strong Indian Army, will have to grapple with several strategic, operational, modernisation and manpower challenges before him.

Another crucial task confronting the new chief, of course, is to arrest the decline in the standards of discipline and probity, which have battered the image of the force justifiably proud of its apolitical, secular and highly-disciplined ethos. With a spate in liquor, meat, cereal, petrol and other scams, involving even general-rank officers, the malaise of corruption is corroding the force like never before.

As Eastern Army commander last year, Gen Singh had locked horns with Gen Kapoor over the Sukna land scam case, in which four generals including the outgoing chief's close aide had been indicted. Gen Singh may have a relatively short tenure of 26 months, but he can get cracking in several other areas. He should ram the modernisation process through bureaucratic bottlenecks and 'right-size' the force for a better teeth-to-tail ratio, as also fine-tune the new war doctrine which is in the works.

The Army doctrine's ongoing revision revolves around five main points, and they basically lay down the basic roadmap for the force. One, to prepare for a possible two-front war with China and Pakistan in a worst-case scenario. Two, to bolster capabilities to counter asymmetric and sub-conventional threats.

These two add up to a two-and-a-half front quagmire, which becomes all the more dangerous due to persisting operational gaps. The lack of modern 155mm artillery guns, obsolete air defence weapons, inadequate night-fighting capabilities in infantry and mechanised forces, for instance, need urgent attention.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Commando-Gen-has-his-task-cut-out/articleshow/5748964.cms

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles