Gandhiji's advise on the eve of the 1947 kashmir war

Manas7

I'm quoting from Lt Gen L P Sen's book where he mentions his meeting with Mahatma Gandhi on 1 Nov 1947 as he was about leave for Kashmir.

As I was leaving General Russell's house, I received a message to the effect that Brigadier Thapar would be awaiting me at the southern entrance to South Block of the Secretariat. When I arrived he informed me that Mahatma Gandhi wished to see me and be given an Intelligence briefing. We drove to his residence and I told him everything that was known to us. He listened most intently and when I finished and asked whether he had any questions he would like answered, he replied "No, no questions". After a few seconds of silence, he continued: "Wars are a curse to humanity. They are so utterly senseless. They bring nothing but suffering and destruction". As a soldier, and one about to the engaged in battle in a matter of hours, I was at a loss to know what to say, and eventually asked him: "What do I do in Kashmir?" Mahatma Gandhi smiled and said: "You are going in to protect innocent people, and to save them from suffering and their property from destruction. To achieve that you must naturally make full use of every means at your disposal." It was the last time that I was to see him alive.

Blackwater

All i know LT general Harbax singh told Nehru not to go to UN. He will capture POK in 7 days. As he already secure Indian kashmir.. Patel also told nehru not to go to UN.

Nehru screwed up all.

LT GEN HARBAX SINGH

look at the bloody size of the general Sardar

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Contradictions, oxymorons and ironies should be renamed in one word as Gandhi!

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
All i know LT general Harbax singh told Nehru not to go to UN. He will capture POK in 7 days. As he already secure Indian kashmir.. Patel also told nehru not to go to UN.

Nehru screwed up all.

LT GEN HARBAX SINGH

look at the bloody size of the general Sardar

He looks like vintage Khali
Our brave soldiers were always enough to win the wars but our idiotic and short/far sighted (or simply say BLIND) politicians always screwed it up and bought shame and everlasting issues.
On the other thread one member compared all the politicians(from Gandhi,Nehru...... to MMS)
http://defenceforumindia.com/china-pakistan/30072-how-pakistan-should-broken-up-de-nuked.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nehru......talked about pancsheel and got wiped by chinese.

Shastri......settled for stalemate in tashkant!

Indira......just to correct the history, it was Sam Bahadur who won the bangladesh war and not Indira. (she would have won if she would have settled the J&K issue once and for all by capitalising on the 1971 win)! in 1984 missed the oppurtunity when israel offered to bomb kahut and all they asked indira was refueling facilities!

Gujral......closed the RAW bench of pakistan!!

Vajpayee......had weak knees and no balls despite the attack on kargil and parliament and the IC 814 hijack, bjp used both kargil and parliament attack for political gains and in turn shamed our army!

MMS.....mumbai attacks in 2008 and cant even hang the single red handed caught Kasab, and the Balochistan fiasco!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JAISWAL

Gandhi defines the helpless, week and insecure India, which can be treated badly but will not retaliate.
We have work really hard to correct this sorrow image of India and make our India as it was in past.....(full of wealth and power)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Gandhi was a great politician!

Observe his words.

He was against wars, but was not against doing things to protect the innocent.

Great words.

But difficult to understand the deep and profound sentiment and thoughts!

He was Godlike!

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
As I was leaving General Russell's house, I received a message to the effect that Brigadier Thapar would be awaiting me at the southern entrance to South Block of the Secretariat. When I arrived he informed me that Mahatma Gandhi wished to see me and be given an Intelligence briefing. We drove to his residence and I told him everything that was known to us. He listened most intently and when I finished and asked whether he had any questions he would like answered, he replied "No, no questions". After a few seconds of silence, he continued: "Wars are a curse to humanity. They are so utterly senseless. They bring nothing but suffering and destruction". As a soldier, and one about to the engaged in battle in a matter of hours, I was at a loss to know what to say, and eventually asked him: "What do I do in Kashmir?" Mahatma Gandhi smiled and said: "You are going in to protect innocent people, and to save them from suffering and their property from destruction. To achieve that you must naturally make full use of every means at your disposal." It was the last time that I was to see him alive. .

Well, that is the essence of Gita about War

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles