Gandhi Jayanti 2012

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
I'm surprised no one opened a thread Everyone is enjoying the holiday it seems :p

For international audience: Gandhi Jayanti : Birthday of MK Gandhi

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
^^ Misguided pacifists and overrated 'freedom fighters' don't find much support from people who generally view and post in forums such as DFI.:lol:

Zebra

Country flag
Mahatma Gandhi, quotes.....

* "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

* "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win."

* "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

* "Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes."

* "God has no religion."

* "Silence becomes cowardice when occasion demands speaking out the whole truth and acting accordingly."

* "I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers."

* "Poverty is the worst form of violence."

* "In a gentle way, you can shake the world."

* "Prayer is not an old woman's idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action."

* "I want freedom for the full expression of my personality."

* "There is force in the universe, which, if we permit it, will flow through us and produce miraculous results."

* "It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence."

* "The path is the goal."

* "What barrier is there that love cannot break?"

* "There is no such thing as 'too insane' unless others turn up dead due to your actions."

* "Fearlessness is the first requisite of spirituality. Cowards can never be moral."

* "There goes my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader."

............................................................................................................"• Mahatma Gandhi

Mahatma Gandhi Quotes (Author of The Story of My Experiments With Truth)

Zebra

Country flag
Charlie Chaplin and Gandhi

Charlie Chaplin and Gandhi these two icons Meet in East London the 23rd of September 1931.

Gandhi went to London in 1931.Charlie Chaplin was also in London that time.He soon became a big star of Hollywood silent movies.

That time he was in London primarily for the British premiere of City Lights. He was becoming politically minded and wanted to share his thoughts with 'great people'. For this he met George Bernard Shaw, Ramsay MacDonald, H.G. Wells and Churchill, and he wanted to meet Gandhi also.

The only one big chance was while Gandhi was visiting a doctor friend not far from Kingsley Hall in the East End. Crowds gathered to follow Gandhi and more crowds were there to see Chaplin. It was only a brief meeting but they made the front pages of the newspapers.

Mahatma Gandhi impressed Charlie Chaplin with his view that supreme independence meant shedding oneself of unnecessary things.

Chaplin believed this principle was the basis of Gandhi's political-economic-spiritual argument against machinery.

BHAWANA VERMA | Be the change that you want to see in the world

File:CharlieChaplinAndGandhi.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I'm surprised no one opened a thread Everyone is enjoying the holiday it seems :p

For international audience: Gandhi Jayanti : Birthday of MK Gandhi

Actually I was busy in a Prayer Meeting for our Great Father.

Singing all the lovely songs and all that.

I was in a spiritual realm and forgot the temporal existence.

Now, I have come out of my trance and hit the DFI.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
"Be the change, you want to see in the world"

Most powerful line ever !

Gandhi as an ideal is immortal. He is timeless.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
You are saying this only because the English and others approved of him. If they endorsed Netaji in the same manner, the world would have heaped praise on him as well. No doubt Gandhi tried his best, but he certainly was not as great a leader as Netaji. Time will forget Gandhi as time has forgotten so many other pacifists but never failed to remember war heroes.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
"Be the change, you want to see in the world"

Most powerful line ever !

He changed the face of India!

And Godse changed the face of India and highlighted the societal contradictions that plague us, more so today.

I would prefer to look at Gandhi as a Messiah of his time.

But not an eternal guide!

Every Prophet leaves behind a series of contradictions that leads to disharmony. Maybe mortals do not understand the deep philosophy behind such earth shaking pronouncements!

Last edited:

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
You are saying this only because the English and others approved of him.
And you know this, how ?
Hardly any other reason to like someone like Gandhi other than this Macaulayistic reason.
First of all, justify how his non-violent cause was more significant or carried more potency than the cause of freedom fighters who made the supreme sacrifice. They paid with their blood to win sacrifice and this sly jackal just called them misguided patriots, terrorists and endless other derogative and slanderous things. His heart was never with the martyrs who were dying for Bharatmata but for the soldier who died during Quit India Movement, an event which eventually led to the suspension of the movement itself. He attended the round table conference despite the British clearly tricking him and going back on their words. A man with no self-honour he was. He marginalised all those who had the courage to speak against him and even yielded to the manipulative Nehru and betrayed Sardar Patel.
An enthusiastic appeaser of Muslims, calling Mauplas- the butcher of Hindus, brave and religious. Every experiment of his with 'truth' cost the nation dearly. And the list of his misdeeds goes on. And you still say him to be an honourable man, a man whose ideals are immortal.
But yes, he should be given his due credit for the mass mobilizations he achieved. However, he sinned by misguiding them and frustrating them absolutely with his direction-less course of 'struggle'

Last edited:

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
He changed the face of India!
Sure did, and the face on her currency notes too.
And Godse changed the face of India and highlighted the societal contradictions that plague us, more so today.
True. He was more of a person who brought out righteousness, however paradoxical it may sound. Gandhi had it coming.
I would prefer to look at Gandhi as a Messiah of his time.
But not an eternal guide!
:thumb:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Hardly any other reason to like someone like Gandhi other than this Macaulayistic reason.
Don't make assumptions about me.

You don't like principles he left behind, fine.

I am not interested in anyone's greatness measurement contest. Gandhi's deeds are discussed here many times over years.

Subjective matters are never absolute and everybody has an opinion.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles