Gaming Hardware - PC/Console/Accessories Configuration

pmaitra

From what I could research, it is impossible to buy an Intel processor with the suffix HQ in it. That puts the gaming hardware availability in a major disadvantage in India.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Ryzen 3 still has some advantages, it can be overclocked , it's cheaper, i3 8100 or other 8th gens need a costly mobo. What do you guys think ?

An Angry Potato

From what I could research, it is impossible to buy an Intel processor with the suffix HQ in it. That puts the gaming hardware availability in a major disadvantage in India.
HQ class is generally reserved for laptops. You can buy a laptop with a HQ processor in it. HQ means that the laptop processor is for all intents and purposes a slightly worse preforming desktop grade quad core variant. You mostly cant buy laptop processors off the shelf anyway. We can however buy the overclockable K suffix CPU's in India, which is the preferred variant for gaming and other stuff

An Angry Potato

Ryzen 3 still has some advantages, it can be overclocked , it's cheaper, i3 8100 or other 8th gens need a costly mobo. What do you guys think ?
Depends on what you plan to do with it. A lot of games use modified but old engines which demand fast single core performance. Ryzen does work very well for video rendering and stuff. Either way, look at benchmarks before purchase.

pmaitra

HQ class is generally reserved for laptops. You can buy a laptop with a HQ processor in it. HQ means that the laptop processor is for all intents and purposes a slightly worse preforming desktop grade quad core variant. You mostly cant buy laptop processors off the shelf anyway. We can however buy the overclockable K suffix CPU's in India, which is the preferred variant for gaming and other stuff
Nope. I think you are confusing H with Y, U, or T.

What Do the Suffixes Mean?

• C – Desktop processor based on the LGA 1150 package with high performance graphics
  • H – High performance graphics
  • K – Unlocked
  • M – Mobile
  • Q – Quad-core
  • R – Desktop processor based on BGA1364 (mobile) package with high performance graphics
  • S – Performance-optimized lifestyle
  • T – Power-optimized lifestyle
  • U – Ultra-low power
  • X – Extreme edition
  • Y – Extremely low power
Source: https://www.howtogeek.com/223020/what-are-the-meanings-of-intel-processor-suffixes/

Another thing to remember, hyperthreading can never be as good as having a dedicated hardware.

An Angry Potato

Nope. I think you are confusing H with Y, U, or T.

Source: https://www.howtogeek.com/223020/what-are-the-meanings-of-intel-processor-suffixes/

Another thing to remember, hyperthreading can never be as good as having a dedicated hardware.
http://www.velocitymicro.com/blog/desktop-vs-mobile-processors-whats-difference/

HQ (I believe H signifies the presence of hyperthreading) is laptop only. Intel sticks to X/K/T/R and non K suffixes for desktops. Agree on Hyper threading. Still a nice addition to have. I have an Intel i7 6700. One of the top end hyperthreaded quad core CPU's for its time, still does not get HQ suffix. Laptops with i7 6700 HQ exist though.

pmaitra

http://www.velocitymicro.com/blog/desktop-vs-mobile-processors-whats-difference/

HQ (I believe H signifies the presence of hyperthreading) is laptop only. Intel sticks to X/K/T/R and non K suffixes for desktops. Agree on Hyper threading. Still a nice addition to have. I have an Intel i7 6700. One of the top end hyperthreaded quad core CPU's for its time, still does not get HQ suffix. Laptops with i7 6700 HQ exist though.
If I were to get one for gaming, I would build one, and I'd go for the HQ suffix. Since it already has four cores, it would not need hyper-threading. Processors that allow hyper-threading usually do so to allow two cores reach somewhat close to the four core's performance, but it overheats the hardware. A four core, aka an HK might allow you to hyperthread a four core. If you have the need for it, go for it.

Most games will run on hyperthreaded 2 cores or locked four cores. If you are planning on running expensive image processing algorithms, then you can go for hyperthreaded four cores. We've had a tower catch fire in our lab. :)

What you can put in a laptop, you can put in a desktop too.

An Angry Potato

If I were to get one for gaming, I would build one, and I'd go for the HQ suffix. Since it already has four cores, it would not need hyper-threading. Processors that allow hyper-threading usually do so to allow two cores reach somewhat close to the four core's performance, but it overheats the hardware.

What you can put in a laptop, you can put in a desktop too.
(Provided you managed to get a HQ processor stand alone in the first place) why would you put a laptop processor on a desktop? there is serious potential of things going bad. Laptops sockets also differ from desktop sockets in many cases. The BIOS might freak out. And a standard desktop processor will always beat out a laptop one too. a simple i7 6700 will always beat a i7 6700hq in terms of performance. No matter the amount of cores, hyperthreading does improve performance by a significant degree in several applications. it simply allows the main core to focus on more intensive tasks while the threads take care of more mundane, simpler tasks. Hyperthreading was never meant to substitute for cores anyway
Most PC centric games will happily use more than 4 cores. Heck bf4 and bf1 max out my i7 cores and threads

Last edited:

pmaitra

(Provided you managed to get a HQ processor stand alone in the first place) why would you put a laptop processor on a desktop? there is serious potential of things going bad. Laptops sockets also differ from desktop sockets in many cases. The BIOS might freak out. And a standard desktop processor will always beat out a laptop one too. a simple i7 6700 will always beat a i7 6700hq in terms of performance. No matter the amount of cores, hyperthreading does improve performance by a significant degree in several applications. it simply allows the main core to focus on more intensive tasks while the threads take care of more mundane, simpler tasks. Hyperthreading was never meant to substitute for cores anyway
Most PC centric games will happily use more than 4 cores. Heck bf4 and bf1 max out my i7 cores and threads
The Intel website does not restrict HQ to laptops.

Link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html

Of course, a hyperthreaded 4 core will beat a non-hyperthreaded 4 core. That is what I said in my earlier post. A hyperthreaded 2 core comes close to the performance of a non-hyperthreaded 4 core. The downside is overheating.

Coming to laptops, this is a non issue. Laptops are meant for mobility. Gaming laptops are not exactly mobile. They tend to be very heavy.

i7-6700HQ has LGA-1151 socket. You can easily get a desktop motherboard with LGA-1151 socket.

An Angry Potato

The Intel website does not restrict HQ to laptops.

Link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html

Of course, a hyperthreaded 4 core will beat a non-hyperthreaded 4 core. That is what I said in my earlier post. A hyperthreaded 2 core comes close to the performance of a non-hyperthreaded 4 core. The downside is overheating.

Coming to laptops, this is a non issue. Laptops are meant for mobility. Gaming laptops are not exactly mobile. They tend to be very heavy.

i7-6700HQ has LGA-1151 socket. You can easily get a desktop motherboard with LGA-1151 socket.
All HQ processors I saw in that link were listed as mobile. Also the i7 6700HQ uses a FCBGA1440 socket. BGA is soldered, LGA-1151 is not.

pmaitra

All HQ processors I saw in that link were listed as mobile. Also the i7 6700HQ uses a FCBGA1440 socket. BGA is soldered, LGA-1151 is not.
You are right. I think the information in the benchmarking website is not correct. Here it says LGA-1151.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-6700HQ+@+2.60GHz

So, I suppose HQ is not easy to assemble by hand, which perhaps explains why only it is machine installed.

Good you pointed that out.

It is possible to buy desktops with HQ series processors, but as I think closely, they have a very crammed in container just like in a laptop.

upload_2017-10-8_16-46-31.png

Edited to add: i7-4800MQ can be hand assembled and used in a desktop. It has PGA socket (just like AMD).

Some people use BGA for hand built computers, but I wouldn't attempt it.

Last edited:

archie

Country flag
So i am thinking of buying a gaming laptop. I am hung up between hp omen 0248tx and lenovo legion y 520 I5 , Any suggestions??
if you can hold of for few months hold it..... Ryzen mobile and apu are around the corner to give some much needed competition in that segment

Akshay_Fenix

The days of me building a gaming PC are long gone (ever since I signed up the NDA form seven years ago) Now, I had to settle for a lappy with a GTX 1050 Ti (its the Dell Inspiron 7577) Still, I am a hardcore gamer.

So, what games are y'all playing nowadays?
Dell 7577 is not the with gtx 1050ti, its the one with gtx 1060 max q.

A chauhan

Country flag
It seems that intel has released kaby lake after over clocking it with 8th gen tag...

A chauhan

Country flag
This guy makes interesting projects :-

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles