Future EW : Next gen jammer from journal of electronic warfare magazine

Should india convert mig 29k like EA -18 growler for it's carrier??

• Total voters

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
PLEASE NOTE: THIS ARTICLE IS FROM THE JOURNAL OF ELECTRONIC DEFENCE MAGAZINE JUNE 2012.THIS ARTICLE DEPICTS THE US NAVY'S NGJ PROGRAM THAT IS NEXT GENERATION JAMMER PROGRAM WHICH REPLACES ALQ- 99 TACTICAL JAMMING SYSTEM.

p2prada

The NGJ's comparison with ALQ-99 is awkward. It says the NGJ delivers 10 times more power than ALQ-99.

I haven't read the full story yet but Growler delivers 35KW of power while NGJ is set to deliver 60KW of power.

The Growler uses 5 ALQ-99 pods at 6KW each. So, the comparison is really between the NGJ and 5 pods of ALQ-99 and not just one. So, that's twice the power and not 10 times.

EDIT: This needs to be moved to Military Aviation.

Last edited:

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
^^^ well the thread states US navy's plans to replace ALQ -99 with NGJ no where it is written it compares NGJ with ALQ -99 .PLZ read the article carefully
before posting

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Good thread Dr.Somnath.

Sent via Tapatalk from a galaxy far far away

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
So this American next gen jammer will have three different pods catering to three different bands:-
Low Band
Medium Band
High Band
But what constitutes low or medium or high bands?
Is it Low: VHF/UHF/L bands, Mid: S/C bands and High: X/Ku/K/Ka?
I've been trying to find the answer but its not mentioned anywhere I looked.
And how does this compare to the Advanced Self-Protection Jammer of DRDO?:-

Does DRDO ASPJ also have GaN AATRU?
What bands will it target? Likely X, Ka, K, Ku given its SPJ?
Anyways, this got me thinking about India's Airborne Electronic Attack capabilities in general vis-a-vis US air forces.
Looking at Stand-off jammers of USAF, they are mounted on C-130 and now will be replace with systems mounted on Gulfstream G550 business jet. Don't think IAF has such a capability, does it?
The third is stand-in jamming, but with HAL CATS coming into picture, maybe they'll be able to get a drone to do it. Would it be better to have Ghatak do it given the fact that its a stealth platform and hence the enemy radar's burnthrough range against Ghatak would be severely reduced thereby increasing Ghatak's survivability?
The final aspect is something I heard about American Next Gen Jammer but I am not sure if its really possible: Cyberattack capability. Is it theoretically possible to hack into an integrated air defence system by feeding its radars a particular signal?
Can anybody explain to me ( @Gessler @porky_kicker @Bleh @NeXoft007 @Karthi any other member with knowledge of EW)?

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
The honest explanation of your questions should be, what you are asking you are very very high degree state secrets & noone here has any idea. 🤷‍♂️
C'mon dude. Just asking the broader contours, no specifics. Ok, forget about ASPJ, what do you think the three bands of American jammers refer to? I am quite new to EW and avionics, so I thought I should ask here. This all basically started when I tried looking into capabilities of the Growler, that thing has been an enigma for me for quite a long time.
Also about that cyberattack capability, just asking if its theoretically possible.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
C'mon dude. Just asking the broader contours, no specifics. Ok, forget about ASPJ, what do you think the three bands of American jammers refer to? I am quite new to EW and avionics, so I thought I should ask here. This all basically started when I tried looking into capabilities of the Growler, that thing has been an enigma for me for quite a long time.
Also about that cyberattack capability, just asking if its theoretically possible.
Basically they jam the frequency of signals enemy fighters are using based on data they have.

The different band simply means signals of different bandwidth.

And your question how does it compare against DRDO SPJ is a joke I guess. We have nothing similar of our own.

Rest hacking etc that's a different stuff altogether.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Check out @ 5:02 segment of Growler Ball 2020 video teasing cyberattack capability....

View attachment 109906
View attachment 109907
View attachment 109908
Sorry, but this doesn't seem legit to my noob eyes. Most likely its representative. Cyberattack capability is not being integrated to existing pod as far as I know.
Basically they jam the frequency of signals enemy fighters are using based on data they have.

The different band simply means signals of different bandwidth.

And your question how does it compare against DRDO SPJ is a joke I guess. We have nothing similar of our own.

Rest hacking etc that's a different stuff altogether.
Yeah, I know they jam different frequencies that is what I wrote. The question is which frequencies?
DRDO SPJ is a joke? I feel like DRDO SPJ will be rather similar to American NGJ-High Band, provided its built on GaN tech.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles