Frisking of Ex President Dr. Kalam : USA apologises

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Leaders react sharply to TSA's stand on Kalam frisking
Updated on Friday, July 24, 2009, 15:26 IST
New Delhi: Cutting across party lines, leaders on Friday reacted sharply to the US Transportation Security Administration's statement that frisking of former President Abdul Kalam was "in compliance" with American regulatory requirements.

BJP leader Rajiv Pratap Rudy wondered "whether such things are happening due to the 'kneel down before US' policy of the UPA government".

"Government should give a thorough reply on this matter. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will have to give a clarification on the issue," the former civil aviation minister said.

He also sought to know whether the government is properly maintaining its protocol list or not. Terming the incident of Kalam being frisked by staff of a US airlines as "sad", NCP MP Supria Sule said," there is a protocol and airlines have to follow the guidelines enforced by the operating country".

Congress MP JP Agrawal said, "If it (following protocol in frisking) is not in their (US) law, they should bring amendments into it."

BJP MP Vinay Katiyar and former Minister of State for External Affairs Digvijay Singh even called for a similar treatment to US dignitaries if the Americans do not follow protocol for Indian VIPs.

"There is a greater threat of terrorism in our country than in the US. If the US airline companies do not follow protocol for our dignitaries, we may also do the same to their dignitaries," Katiyar said.

Singh, Independent MP from Bihar, said, "we will face this problem as long we do not use protocol as a weapon of diplomacy.

"When I was in foreign ministry, we have done it and then our Foreign Minister was not frisked. We will have to adopt a policy if such things happen to our dignitaries, the same treatment will be meted out to their dignitaries as well," Singh said.

Rajya Sabha member from Congress Rajiv Shukla, however said, "the civil aviation ministry is competent to take whatever action is required. Let us leave it to them. They have already lodged an FIR."

Earlier, the US body had argued that TSA requires all passengers and their accessible property to be screened for any goods listed on the prohibited items list.

"There are reports that the government of India has an official list of VIPs and their spouses that are exempted from pre-board screening procedures. However, such a list does not mirror US requirements for passengers that are exempted from pre-board screening when travelling aboard the US commercial aircraft," it said.

"While travelling from an international location to the US on a US commercial aircraft, former heads of state and other VIPs are screened according to the same screening procedure as for any other passenger," it added.

Leaders react sharply to TSA`s stand on Kalam frisking

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
I feel though it is unfortunate the way Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam is being treated. But he doesn't mind it.
The VVIP and VIP culture must come to an end. As per Govt. rule all the VIPs protected by SPG are exempted from security check. So Robert Vadra is also exempted. What the hell. What the identity of Robet Vadra? He is the husband of the daughter of one of our former PM!! So what is his contribution to this country? It is same like you and me. So when we are not exempted why should be he??

tharikiran

Country flag
My blood is boiling. I say screen the American diplomats. Spare no one.
Clinton -vilton..spare nobody.

What do they mean by saying," we are following our rules"

Hell, when operating from India, you will follow our rules or get lost.

I don't want to talk about our politicians. If I was the boss , I will make them travel in Mumbai local trains in peak hours.

My argument is, when a list is given; follow the protocol, period.

I wanna see American reaction if tit for tat is done.Let's see if they talk about rules then.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
I feel though it is unfortunate the way Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam is being treated. But he doesn't mind it.
The VVIP and VIP culture must come to an end. As per Govt. rule all the VIPs protected by SPG are exempted from security check. So Robert Vadra is also exempted. What the hell. What the identity of Robet Vadra? He is the husband of the daughter of one of our former PM!! So what is his contribution to this country? It is same like you and me. So when we are not exempted why should be he??
Any source which says taht Robert Vadra is exempted from security check ups ?

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Kalam frisked: FIR against airlines officers

Updated on Friday, July 24, 2009, 23:59 IST
Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: An FIR has been registered against officials of Continental Airlines who were involved in the frisking of former President APJ Abdul Kalam here on Friday.

The four people named in the FIR include airlines' India head Laurent Recoura, security in-charge Jaideep, station manager Allen Field and area security manager Cynthia. There was a meeting between the officials and the Civil Aviation Ministry in this regard but nothing came of it.

Meanwhile, cutting across party lines, leaders reacted sharply to the US Transportation Security Administration's statement that frisking of former President Abdul Kalam was "in compliance" with American regulatory requirements.

BJP leader Rajiv Pratap Rudy wondered "whether such things are happening due to the 'kneel down before US' policy of the UPA government".

"Government should give a thorough reply on this matter. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will have to give a clarification on the issue," the former civil aviation minister said.

Terming the incident of Kalam being frisked by staff of a US airlines as "sad", NCP MP Supria Sule said," there is a protocol and airlines have to follow the guidelines enforced by the operating country".

Congress MP JP Agrawal said, "If it (following protocol in frisking) is not in their (US) law, they should bring amendments into it."

Rajya Sabha member from Congress Rajiv Shukla, however said, "the civil aviation ministry is competent to take whatever action is required. Let us leave it to them. They have already lodged an FIR."

Earlier, the US body had argued that TSA requires all passengers and their accessible property to be screened for any goods listed on the prohibited items list.

Kalam refuses comment

"Well, you know it was discussed in Parliament ...I don't have much comment beyond that," he told reporters in Thiruvananthapuram today.

Asked about the apology tendered by the airlines, he said, "I am just moving from Bangladesh to this place. So I have not received it".
Leaders react sharply to TSA`s stand on Kalam frisking

xebex

SUSPEND their permit for Undisclosed time untill they come to Kalam's knee and apologize in person. Bytheway, whatz up with Robert Vadra? frisk that loser instead of letting him run around, he is nobody compared to PM and President.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
MEA takes up Kalam frisking issue with US authorities

Updated on Tuesday, August 04, 2009, 20:24 IST

New Delhi: The External Affairs Ministry has taken up the issue of frisking of former President A P J Abdul Kalam by officials of the Continental Airlines with the US authorities, highly-placed sources said on Tuesday.

The sources said the Civil Aviation Ministry has already briefed the MEA regarding the factual position on the matter.

While a complaint has been filed with the Delhi Police, "this has not yet been put into a chargesheet as there are some gray areas", they said.

The three-month-old incident created an uproar in the country, with political leaders raising the issue in Parliament.

The Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) has registered a complaint on the matter with the Station House Officer of IGI Airport Police Station.

In its complaint, the BCAS has said an enquiry found that the staff had wrongfully carried out pre-embarkation body check of Kalam under the direction of airlines' Security-in-charge, Country Director and Station Manager.

The BCAS also said the body check was in gross violation of its circular which exempt specified VVIPS and VIPs from pre-embarkation checks.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh also deplored the incident and said Kalam was entitled to all courtesies that are extended to the Heads and former Heads of State.

Continental Airlines have apologized for the incident

MEA takes up Kalam frisking issue with US authorities

Pintu

US apologizes for Kalam frisking

US apologizes for Kalam frisking
India Blooms News Service

New Delhi, Nov 13 (IBNS) United States has tendered an apology for an incident in September when former president APJ Abdul Kalam was frisked by the security at the JFK Airport in New York even after he had boarded the flight for returning to India.

"Appropriate procedure for expedited screening of dignitaries had not been followed," the US embassy here said after reportedly a formal apology to the Indian government and the former president.

"We deeply regret the inconvenience that resulted for him as a result of the September 29 incident involving the security screening at JFK Airport in New York," the statement said.

USA also assured to work out a procedure so that such incidents did not recur.

Indian external affairs ministry was upset over the incident and India's ambassador to US, Nirupama Rao, was asked to take it up at the highest level in Washington.

Kalam was returning on an Air India flight when the incident took place.

He was in USA for a series of events in September.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
This frisking of the erstwhile President of India for the second time, is most disgraceful if India does not take it up seriously.

The US Ambassador should be hauled over coals and a strong démarche should be given with a caution that the US VIPs will be stripped search!.

It is not the question of 'inconvenience'. It is a question of premeditated slight!

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
The bastards always apologize but then repeat it again.

Like they asked person with diplomatic passport to remove turban.

Only way to solve this is to make usa govt people have a dose of our desi search.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles