Fraudulent call on name of UNICEF?

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Today I got a call from 033-6600-0200. The caller associated himself with Unicef and requested to make monthly donation for helping children under a campaign 'Guardian of hope'. I was bit suprised as I never heard of Unicef doing telemarketting to raise fund, but, I continued the conversation. I thought to get more information about it and gave an appointment on coming satureday. Their executive is suppose to come at my home to collect cheque and get some forms sighned. Once the call was over, I called up the UNICEF office in Kolkata. They said they are not aware of any such initiative where their executives go to collect cheque. They requested not to entertain these guys. Now, what you think I should do? Call the executive at my home and hand him over to police or just ask them not to disturb me. I am worried because these guys are taking funds which could help the needy children otherwise. Again, I feel pity about these executive guys. Probably they dont even know they are working for a fake Unicef. Many of you donate for different purposes as you did in case of Uttarakhand flood. So be careful while donating your hard-earned money to someone not so credible.

BTW, can anyone check the number 033-66000200...I tried BSNL directory but it is not working.

Last edited:

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Thank you for the advice.

In legal terms it is the authorities of the UNICEF who should take legal action against these fake telemarketers with the help of Kolkata Police.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
They requested not to entertain these guys. Now, what you think I should do? Call the executive at my home and hand him over to police or just ask them not to disturb me.

do it that please as a True Patriot

Amby

Today I got a call from 033-6600-0200. The caller associated himself with Unicef and requested to make monthly donation for helping children under a campaign 'Guardian of hope'. I was bit suprised as I never heard of Unicef doing telemarketting to raise fund, but, I continued the conversation. I thought to get more information about it and gave an appointment on coming satureday. Their executive is suppose to come at my home to collect cheque and get some forms sighned. Once the call was over, I called up the UNICEF office in Kolkata. They said they are not aware of any such initiative where their executives go to collect cheque. They requested not to entertain these guys. Now, what you think I should do? Call the executive at my home and hand him over to police or just ask them not to disturb me. I am worried because these guys are taking funds which could help the needy children otherwise. Again, I feel pity about these executive guys. Probably they dont even know they are working for a fake Unicef. Many of you donate for different purposes as you did in case of Uttarakhand flood. So be careful while donating your hard-earned money to someone not so credible.

BTW, can anyone check the number 033-66000200...I tried BSNL directory but it is not working.

I got a call in the Month of August and the executive came and collected a Cheque of Rs 500 saying that it is a one time payment but to my surprise they are deducting monthly ECS of Rs 500 from my account, I am trying to call at their number 033-66000200 now and getting a message that the number is incorrect whereas I have spoken to them earlier on the same number. Guys Please be careful, I am taking the matter up with the concerned authority lets see what happens. will keep you folks posted about it.

jmj_overlord

good post............every members and non members should be made aware of this........

unicef

Dear Sir,

We apologise for the delay in reply but were pointed to this website recently. The caller who had called you then was an authorised UNICEF representative and it was a genuine attempt. We undertake use of telemarketing to get new donations. UNICEF is completely funded by voluntary donations and do not receive any funds from the UN budget.

For any clarifications, you can call us at our donor helpline on )11-24606290 or email us on [email protected]

Thanks & Regards,

UNICEF

unicef

I got a call in the Month of August and the executive came and collected a Cheque of Rs 500 saying that it is a one time payment but to my surprise they are deducting monthly ECS of Rs 500 from my account, I am trying to call at their number 033-66000200 now and getting a message that the number is incorrect whereas I have spoken to them earlier on the same number. Guys Please be careful, I am taking the matter up with the concerned authority lets see what happens. will keep you folks posted about it.
Dear Sir,

We apologise for the delay in reply but were pointed to this website recently. The caller who had called you then was an authorised UNICEF representative and it was a genuine attempt. We undertake use of telemarketing to get new donations. UNICEF is completely funded by voluntary donations and do not receive any funds from the UN budget.

For any clarifications, you can call us at our donor helpline on )11-24606290 or email us on [email protected]

Thanks & Regards,

UNICEF

unicef

Dear Sir,

The above program is run in US and some other developed countries. It also has an IOS app and Android app for the same. However in India, we do undertake telemarketing and door to door/ mall approach for getting in fresh donations. These are generally authorised partners with a mechanism for donations to come to UNICEF directly. If you by chance suspect a fraud activity then please write to us at India Donors Helpline, UNICEF House, 73, Lodi Estate, New Delhi 110003 or email us at indiadonors[at]unicefindia[dot]org or call us at +91-11-24606290(Business hours only).

Just to assure you the above link is genuine and is used so that confidential credit card information is not captured by executives and comes directly to us for processing.

Thanks & Regards,

UNICEF India

Blackwater

Most fraud calls comes from Pakistan , they call from locals numbers

Global Defence

New threads

Articles