France to help India build first high-speed rail link

Country flag
France to help India build first high-speed rail link

France is likely to help India build its first high-speed rail link from Mumbai to Ahmedabad and the two countries may sign a deal on bilateral cooperation in the sector during French President François Hollande's visit to New Delhi on Thursday.

They are also expected to ink a deal for supply of French civilian helicopters to India.

French Ambassador to India, Francois Richier, on Monday confirmed that the much-hyped agreement for supply of 126 French Rafale war planes to Indian Air Force would not be inked during the two-day visit of Hollande. The deal between French company AREVA and the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited for the proposed atomic power plant at Jaitapur in Maharashtra would not be signed too, he added.

Diplomatic sources, however, said the two countries would sign a series of inter-governmental agreements as well as several commercial deals, including about a dozen for research and development cooperation between Indian and French companies during Hollande's visit to New Delhi and Mumbai.

Hollande took over as the French President in May 2012 and the visit to India this week is going to be his first to any country in Asia. Sources in New Delhi said bilateral parleys between Hollande and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh would be followed by signing of an agreement between Indian Railways and Société Nationale des Chemins de fer Français (the national rail operator of France) for the high-speed rail link between Mumbai and Ahmedabad.

The SNCF Voyages – a wing of the SNCF – now runs the Train à Grande Vitesse or TGV, the high-speed rail service of France.

The 534-km-long Mumbai-Ahmedabad stretch is one of the six corridors the Indian Railways has identified to launch high-speed trains. New Delhi has also started discussions with Japan and China seeking cooperation for launching high-speed rail services in India.

Speaking at Delhi-based think-tank Observer Research Foundation on Monday, Richier said that the negotiation between the two countries for supply of Rafale war-planes to Indian Air Force was making steady progress, although it would take some more time to ink the deal.

He also said that France had completed the safety review of the European Pressure Reactors, which the AREVA would install at the nuclear power plants at Jaitapur in Maharashtra, in the aftermath of the 2011 mishap at Fukushima in Japan.

Asked if India's Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage Act has been hindering the launch of bilateral cooperation in civil nuclear cooperation, Richier said that Paris had been discussing with New Delhi about the contents of the legislation and its implication for bilateral civil nuclear cooperation.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Mumai-Ahemadabad High speed train with french co-operation is good.

But what a bummer ! :laugh:

French Ambassador to India, Francois Richier, on Monday confirmed that the much-hyped agreement for supply of 126 French Rafale war planes to Indian Air Force would not be inked during the two-day visit of Hollande.
The deal between French company AREVA and the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited for the proposed atomic power plant at Jaitapur in Maharashtra would not be signed too, he added.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I thought we had firm partnership with Japan for HSR

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I think they are trying everyone for each different links before finalizing model. French for Mumai-Ahmedabad, Japs/Chinese for NCR-Kolkata. We are known for incorporating system using inputs from everyone.

JBH22

Chinese when they approached the french they insisted on transfer of tech from Alstom.

I hope we are following suit insisting on transfer of tech for our benefit

SLASH

That is for the Mumbai-Delhi Industrial freight corridor.

On topic, if we are looking for a cost effective solution we should rather approach the Chinese. I have travelled in HSR in China and found no problem with the quality. I think Chinese have a huge cost advantage over the French.

Splurgenxs

Country flag

On topic, if we are looking for a cost effective solution we should rather approach the Chinese. I have travelled in HSR in China and found no problem with the quality. I think Chinese have a huge cost advantage over the French.
Kindly elaborate.
Cost adv how ? the manpower and materials will be sourced internally. Its only expertise were lacking.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador

The Chinese themselves took French support!!

panduranghari

Hmm which one to choose?

TGV or Shinkansen?

I think I would prefer Shinkansen. Much smoother ride than TGV. Both are better than Rajdhani Express will ever be.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

nimo_cn

Country flag
never put your eggs in just one basket, invite all of them to bid, including China, which will significantly bring down the bidding price.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Why is that we have to take help of other countries to develop any corridor . japan is helping (if allowed by jhollwaalas) to develop mumbai-delhi corrideor

France for higgh speed link

UK for Mumbai-banglore corrideor

nrupatunga

Was the agreement signed?? Atleast on paper what is the deadline? Or is the high speed rail not even on paper?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Was the agreement signed?? Atleast on paper what is the deadline? Or is the high speed rail not even on paper?
Yes it was signed. SNCF and FinMin are financing the feasability study for the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed rail. If concluded, we will build the operation system, engines and stations for the project.

nrupatunga

^^^^ Feasibility study, when is the deadline for this on paper????? What is this feasibility study, just an excuse for getting some pockets filled, irrespective of project starts or not. So what happens if the study finds that its not feasible???

SLASH

The cost of such a project is enormous. It will take ages for planning. The Mumbai-Ahmedabad expressway is yet to begin, and we are talking of high speed rail link. We will have to wait for another 5 years before the first brick will be laid.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles