Formula 1 - Indian Grand Prix

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Firangi media is in full swing again bashing everything from poverty, cows to the specs of dust on the track.

When will Indians see the light that there is prejudice ?
When we'll actually have some self-respect.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
When we'll actually have some self-respect.
Self-respect only comes when you know your own heritage.

Our media isn't a saint either...if they cant find problem then they will dig deeper till they find one.

If you dont respect yourself then why would others respect you ?

niharjhatn

Its a sad day indeed when an event is judged by the actions of a small animal!

As for the driver calling it "inexcusable"... if you want a race in such a sterile environment I suggest a hospital... or better yet, the moon! S*** happens!

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
ok who all are going for the F1 ??
Noida expressways are gonna be a nightmare, chok-a-block with boyracers.

Adux

Country flag
I started with Schumacher racing for Benetton and ended with Schumacher leaving Ferrari, F1 has become extremely boring now a days or maybe I am too old.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
didn't go for the race but got to meet Hamilton and Button last nightbefore an event hosted by McLaren actually started(actually only said good evening nothing fancy:p) ,pictures were not allowed did get a lot of pictures with their car though.

291020111685.jpg291020111684.jpg291020111683.jpg281020111677.jpg291020111686.jpg

Illusive

Country flag
Dust is a problem in terms of racing, the tires don't get a grip, so one has to follow a racing line, therefore overtaking could become risky. As a spectatoryou want a thrilling race were you see lot of overtaking.

Indian track is precisely built for overtaking, dust kinda makes it difficult for the car off the racing line.

But as i said, after the construction work is completed around the circuit, it shouldn't be a problem next year.

As for dogs, it had happened before in Turkey and also Silverston UK (heard from the commentary team who are themselves British).

mayfair

The circuit looks awesome. Lots of oppurtunities for overtaking and the first ever Indian F1 grandprix already has had a very exciting start.

mahesh

Country flag
the only negative was lot of dust at sides of the tracks,

mayfair

Ejaz bhai, don't you think this report should be in a different thread, especially since cordial India-Iran relations are quite important for us? I cannot find any reference to Formula 1 grand prix in there.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I started with Schumacher racing for Benetton and ended with Schumacher leaving Ferrari, F1 has become extremely boring now a days or maybe I am too old.
I stopped watching when fia were in bed with ferrari and schumacher was twisting the rules to his advantage.

this was 4 years ago i think. ive been mclaren supporter since the hakkinen days.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Vettel won.

@adux, ditto for me.
Marriage and kids cut me off a lot of what I use to religiously follow!!

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
I stopped watching when fia were in bed with ferrari and schumacher was twisting the rules to his advantage.

this was 4 years ago i think. ive been mclaren supporter since the hakkinen days.
those were the days, seriously!

though i was a ferrari fb back then, but still the rivalry of the two was awesome.

it was around the time mika hakkinen left that i also started to lose interest, and it then became very one sided.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
1991 was when star tv came to India and I was hooked to F1. I saw the race and the crash of Sena in 94.

There was no conspiracy by Ferrari to twist any rules. That is but CT :D

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
The trophy turned out different.

But few days ago we were made to believe it was this

Galaxy

Country flag
India produces a winning Formula 1

India produces a winning Formula 1

It is often said that everything and the opposite is possible in India, and so it has been shown today. Just a year after the Indian government's humiliating and appalling preparations and administration of Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, the private sector this afternoon delivered a spectacular Formula 1 Grand Prix race on time, efficiently, and without any mishaps.

With a crowd of 100,000 and an international television audience said to total 150m, Sebastian Vettel continued his winning F1 streak by driving his Red Bull Renault to victory at the end of a 90-minute 307km race.

Warnings about excessive dust blowing (and stray dogs walking) onto the new Buddh track in Noida, a Delhi satellite city, from nearby arid farmland did not materialise. A rush in the final weeks to complete and tidy up the site appears to have worked and Vettel, along with other drivers, praised the track.

This showed what can be achieved when India's bureaucrats stay largely out of the picture and politicians, probably taking a cut, allow the private sector to perform. As is inevitable in India, there are stories of shady dealings, controversies, political rivalries and damaged egos. There is also serious concern about the way that the poor were ousted from their land to build the track and allied developments over the past year or so, and about low wages paid to the construction workers.

The Jaypee construction group which built and runs the race track has close links with Mayawati, the egotistical chief minister of the state of Uttar Pradesh, which includes Noida – though the race has been seen as a Delhi event and a Delhi success, it is actually a success for one of India's poorest states that is known more for corruption and lawlessness than business success and efficiency.

The Jaypee group and other companies manage to straddle these potential contradictions. Jaypee housing and other projects linked to new highways that are also linked to the Buddh track were at the centre of mass protests earlier this year against the transfer of land for business purposes. Rahul Gandhi, heir apparent to India's ruling dynasty, hit the headlines when he joined the demonstrators in May, protesting at the low levels of compensation that had been paid.

There have also been criticisms about the price of tickets ranging from $55 to sit on the grass to $22,000 for corporate boxes that are way out of reach for the vast mass of Indians, as were concerts by Lady Gaga and Metallica (the latter was abandoned). But it is inevitable in a country like India that there will be such disparities.

Jenson Button, a British McLaren driver who came second today, has said that coming to India was "difficult" for the drivers, who had been stunned at the living conditions visible outside their luxury hotels. "You can't forget the poverty in India. It's difficult coming here for the first time, you realise there's a big divide between the wealthy people and the poor people," he said.

Anand Mahindra, one of India's top industrialists who runs an autos-based group and is an avid tweeter, commented on Twitter today: "The F1 is a turning point. I see Indians becoming the most car-crazy&car-knowledgeable people on earth.. Now, let's build those roads."

And also, he could have added, let's make sure that in future the private sector is given the chance to build and run India's potential success stories. If bureaucrats and politicians had not stupidly decided for prestige reasons to locate the Commonwealth Games in the middle of Delhi, instead of a place like Noida, and had not handed it over to corrupt politicians and bureaucrats, that could have been a success too. The possibilities are endless, if only governments are prepared to paint themselves out of the picture.

Mayawati, who loves grandiose projects, runs a corrupt state in UP and that casts a stigma over all that she does. However, the success of the Grand Prix raises an uncomfortable question – is it better to have international success on Mayawati's terms or the Commonwealth Games type of humiliation allowed by India's Congress-led government?

Phenom

If India ever wins an olympic bid, we should transfer every construction and organising activity to the private sector and keep the politicians fair distance away from the whole thing.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles