Former RAW chief AS Dulat slams PM Modi, says Vajpayee, Manmohan Singh handled Kashmir issue better

NLD

Former RAW chief AS Dulat has slammed PM Narendra Modi, saying he has learnt no lessons from former PM AB Vajpayee's handling of the Kashmir issue.

In an interview to an English daily, Amarjit Singh Dulat felt that Modi's policy of 'not engaging' in a dialogue with Pakistanwas wrong. he asserted that continuous dialogue was essential, as was done during Vajpayee's tenure. "It's a pity that Modi failed to learn it from Vajpayee," said Dulat referring to Kashmir diplomacy.

On the other hand, Dulat, who served as the head of RAW from 1999 to 2000, praised Vajpayee, saying he was the first PM who understood the issue of Jammu and Kashmir after Jawaharlal Nehru.

"Vajpayee was a leader and a politician and Modi should learn politics and it is the differentiating issue between the two. Modi in my humble opinion has to learn politics and it is pity he did not learn it from Vajpayee who is the greatest Indian politician," Dulat told the news daily.

But Dulat went a step further. Controversially, he also asserted that even former PM Manmohan Singh was a better leader than Narendra Modi, because Singh made 'every effort' when it came to resolving the issue of Jammu and Kashmir.

Dulat felt Modi should attend the upcoming SAARC meeting in Islamabad scheduled for early 2016.

Dulat agreed with Farooq Abdullah, who said that the only way forward on the Kashmir issue was a dialogue with Pakistan. He had said that the entire Indian army could not overcome terrorism in Kashmir, and hence dialogue was the only solution.

Dulat also said that he shared the views of former home minister P Chidambaram and former J&K CM Omar Abdullah that the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) should be repealed in Srinagar and Budgam.

Dulat, who is a member of the National Security Advisory Board, said that the dreaded terrorist group Islamic State (IS) has no real influence in Kashmir, and people have understood that ISI is just using Kashmiris to their advantage.

"Kashmiris harbour a sense of alienation, frustration and anger. One should not misread the waving of Pak and ISIS flags during protests," he said.

Dulat asserted that Kashmiris only want peace. He was speaking on the sidelines of a public discourse on his book, 'Kashmir, The Vajpayee Years'.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Yup go on a Bus from wagah to the beggar islamic state and get back kargil! No doubt Modi is not doing enough, these Con-party appointed RAW and IB lackies failed on every front to detect any terror activity!

Sir a shameless lacky like you will never be made NSA, you do not even deserve to be a peon in any of the intelligence departments!

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Yes. ABV was so good at solving this problem that he got back-stabbed just like Nehru. When he was sitting in bus going to Lahore, Musharraf was posting his troops in Kargil.

India lost so many soldiers for ABV's stupid love for Pak. I hope the current govt. does not drown itself into emotions and treat those Pakis like snakes and not like lost brothers.

maomao

Country flag
Ex-RAW chief wasn't totally honest with us in his book: Here's what Dulat didn't tell us about IC-814

I have a bone to pick with A S Dulat – author of best-selling Kashmir: The Vajpayee Years – and the bevy of print and television journalists flocking to the former RAW chief-turned-writer’s bungalow in New Delhi’s Friends Colony for quotes and bytes.

My grouse: Dulat’s chapter on the hijacking of Indian Airlines IC 814 by Pakistan-backed terrorists in December 1999, doesn’t contain a single word on the RAW officer who, according to other authoritative accounts, was on board the ill-fated plane commandeered to Kandahar. And no journalist has quizzed Dulat about the glaring omission or questioned his deafening silence.

So I rang up Dulat and asked pointblank why he left RAW’s Shashi Bhushan Singh Tomar out of his otherwise illuminating IC 814 narrative. The gentleman told me a few things off the record. On record, Dulat told Firstpost:“Certain things are best not talked about.” Period.

I have a bone to pick with A S Dulat – author of best-selling Kashmir: The Vajpayee Years – and the bevy of print and television journalists flocking to the former RAW chief-turned-writer’s bungalow in New Delhi’s Friends Colony for quotes and bytes.

My grouse: Dulat’s chapter on the hijacking of Indian Airlines IC 814 by Pakistan-backed terrorists in December 1999, doesn’t contain a single word on the RAW officer who, according to other authoritative accounts, was on board the ill-fated plane commandeered to Kandahar. And no journalist has quizzed Dulat about the glaring omission or questioned his deafening silence.

So I rang up Dulat and asked pointblank why he left RAW’s Shashi Bhushan Singh Tomar out of his otherwise illuminating IC 814 narrative. The gentleman told me a few things off the record. On record, Dulat told Firstpost:“Certain things are best not talked about.” Period.

I beg to differ. Tomar’s presence in the hijacked plane is so well documented that it’s undeniable. To give credit to Dulat, he didn’t try to deny it when I questioned him about the omission. But he certainly tried brushing it under the carpet.

Dulat should have cleared the air in the book itself. He should have written the truth – or even lied if his conscience permitted. But glossing over such a crucial aspect of the hijacking is morally unacceptable. It insults our collective intelligence. If anyone owes the nation an explanation aboutl’affaire Tomar, it’s Dulat. For three good reasons: he has written a whole book on his tenure, he headed RAW when IC 814 was hijacked, and Tomar worked for RAW then as he does now.

The broad facts of the 1999 hijacking are well-known. The drama began on 24 December, 1999 afternoon when five ISI-backed terrorists hijacked IC 814, soon after it took off from Kathmandu for Delhi, and the curtains came down on 31 December in Kandahar, Afghanistan, making it the darkest Christmas week in India’s history.

The unanswered question is: What was Tomar, then posted as First Secretary in the Indian embassy in Kathmandu, doing in the hijacked plane? The most charitable explanation that I have heard so far at the highest level of government is that it was a “bad coincidence” that Tomar boarded a flight that got hijacked.

Many believe that commandos were not given the go-ahead to storm the plane in Amritsar simply because Tomar was inside it. A proposal to send commandos in was apparently sabotaged by none other than N K Singh, Secretary to then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Tomar is married to Singh’s youngest sister. Many swear that Singh pulled out all stops to ensure his brother-in-law’s safety!

As is well known, from Amritsar the plane flew to Lahore, Dubai and finally landed in Kandahar. Tomar’s presence in the hijacked plane remained a tightly-guarded secret known only to a select few in the Indian establishment. But it didn’t remain a secret for too long.

On 27 December, while 1C 814 was stranded in Kandahar and negotiations were underway for the release of hostages, Pakistani Foreign Ministry spokesman, Tariq Altaf, gleefully announced before the international Press in Islamabad that RAW officer S B S Tomar “is on board the hijacked Indian Airlines plane and he is guiding, directing and controlling the five or six hijackers”.

Pakistan conveniently gave Tomar’s presence in the hijacked plane a twist to serve its own purpose. Altaf’s briefing received good coverage although the Indian media dutifully censored the news of a RAW officer among the hostages! However, Praveen Swami’s cover story, Kashmir after Kandahar, in Frontline magazine dated 22 January- 4 February, 2000, blew the lid off.

Swami wrote: “The passenger in seat 16C, an Indian official who had the responsibility of monitoring terrorist activity in Nepal. S.S. Tomar, a Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) operative posted to the Indian Embassy in Nepal, was flying back to New Delhi to visit his wife Sonia, who had been hospitalised to correct problems arising from the improper treatment of a fracture. Sonia Tomar is the youngest sibling of N K Singh, perhaps the most powerful bureaucrat in the Prime Minister's Office. Her eldest sister, Shyama, is married to the man who once led the force which ought to have carried out a rescue attempt when the hijacked aircraft was in Amritsar - former National Security Guards Director Nikhil Kumar."

In May 2000, IC 814 Hijacked! The Inside Story (Roli Books, 224 pages) by Anil Jaggia and Saurabh Shukla, hit the stands. It printed the ill-fated plane’s passenger manifest. In the alphabetically arranged list, Tomar was sandwiched between Manjulal Tolia and M Tulasi.

According to the book, “Few know that on board IC-814, a senior RAW official SBS Tomar was travelling on his diplomatic passport, carrying a report to Delhi that there was a likelihood of a hijack. How prophetic it was.”

Last year, former RAW officer, R K Yadav, penned a brilliant book, Mission R&AW (Manas Publications, 543 pages). According to Yadav, days before the hijacking, UV Singh, a junior RAW operative in Kathmandu informed Tomar that Pakistani terrorists were planning to hijack an Indian plane. Tomar ordered Singh to check the veracity of his report. When Singh vouched for its reliability, Tomar rebuked him and told him not to spread rumours.

“Singh’s report was not sent to RAW Headquarters in Delhi”, writes Yadav. “But a few days later, an Indian Airlines plane was hijacked by Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorists and Tomar was flying in it. He kept his identity a secret. Otherwise he would have been killed.”

Regardless of the spin given by various chroniclers, my gut feeling is that Tomar was totally in the dark about the planning that went into the hijacking. His presence in IC 814 highlighted RAW’s failure to penetrate ISI-backed jihadi anti-India groups. It’s anybody’s guess if the situation is any better today.

Dulat, I strongly feel, should have set the record straight. He has the relevant facts on his finger tips. It’s a pity that he is silent about the intelligence fiasco around Tomar but cocking a snook at the Official Secrets Act and writes that the Intelligence Bureau bag was used for sending cash to Srinagar from Delhi!

http://www.firstpost.com/india/ex-r...dulat-didnt-tell-us-about-ic-814-2336728.html

maomao

Country flag
AS Dulat’s book Kashmir-Vajpayee Years is getting media-hype because he is only the second Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) chief to have penned a book and that too of his brief stay in the agency.

That said, Dulat was never a RAW man. He spent most of his service in the Intelligence Bureau (IB) and was later mysteriously brought into RAW during Vajpayee regime supposedly at the behest of Farooq Abdullah. His appointment was strongly opposed by several RAW officers who warned Vajpayee in writing not to erode the basic fabric of RAW by appointing outsider. They were overruled.

Dulat’s only revelation in IC-814 hijacking is the fact that governor Gary Saxena persuaded chief minister Farooq Abdullah to agree to swap terrorists. Dulat’s silence on passenger number 162 on seat 16C, SBS Tomar, is baffling. He did not care to clarify some pertinent details of this hijacking revealed in my book last year. The facts of this bizzare case are this. Sometime in late 1999, Tomar, a RAW officer posted at Indian Embassy in Nepal, was informed by his junior UV Singh of a possible hijack of Indian aircraft from Kathmandu’s Tribhuvan Airport. UV Singh, a RAW officer posted as second secretary in the Embassy, got this information from a reliable source, who was a senior officer at the airport. Tomar accused Singh of spreading rumours. Instead of taking pre-emptive measures, he suppressed this report. He never sent it to RAW headquarters in Delhi.

This lapse boomeranged on Tomar when he was among the 176 passengers of IC-814 that was hijacked as it flew out of Kathmandu on December 24, 1999. Had his identity been known to the hijackers, there was every possibility of his being killed instead of another passenger Rupen Katyal.

Tomar is a relative of NK Singh, the then all powerful principal secretary to the Vajpayee government and also to then National Security Guards chief Neeraj Kumar. Singh’s sisters are married to Kumar and Tomar.

Both these officers were members of Crisis Management Group (CMG) just as Dulat, the RAW chief was. Dulat did not clarify role of Singh and Kumar in the CMG deliberations when the aircraft was allowed to take off from Amritsar. If revealed, facts would emerge that this duo was responsible for allowing the aircraft to take off fearing for Tomar’s life when pilot informed that terrorists were killing passengers. After his release, Tomar’s wife, Singh’s sibling, spread stories that the terrorist swap was done to save her husband’s life. There might not be any truth in such stories but Singh’s role in this terrorist release is certainly questionable. The swap was a hard bargain opposed by then home minister LK Advani. The handling of the situation was to some extent compromised by the PMO.

Media reports on Tomar’s presence in this hijacking were exploited by Pakistani government which even blamed him for this hijacking. Tomar was never reprimanded for such grave lapse possibly due to his powerful links in the PMO. Instead, he was rewarded with a foreign posting despite his identity being revealed in the media. Again, this was because Singh was back in the PMO when the Manmohan Singh-led UPA under Manmohan Singh came to power in 2004.

Dulat met Advani prior to demitting his office in 2000 and suggested not to impose any outsider in RAW because he had a tough time handling the in-house Research and Analysis (RAS) service lobby there. This was indicative of the inner squabbles which Dulat has hidden in his book.

The IC-814 hijacking was the only crucial test of RAW in Dulat’s brief tenure between 1999 and 2000 which he miserably failed.

IC-814 hijacking was the brainchild of Pak diplomat Mohammad Arshad Cheema, posted at the Mission in Nepal and nicknamed "Mac". He was deported thanks to RAW operatives at Kathmandu who got him declared persona non grata for his role in this hijacking. Dulat did not write this subsequent achievement of RAW fearing the Officials Secret Act.

http://www.dailyo.in/politics/ic-81...jp-pakistan-farooq-abdullah/story/1/4987.html

maomao

Country flag
Clearly Daulat belongs to the secular elites of this country i.e he is a lackey.....from the above pointers we can join the dots and realize what this shameless Daulat is!!

No doubt RAW opposed this forced appointment !!

Last edited:

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
People who have working experience in foreign land must be made chief. These guys are may be from RAS cadre.

But they say,

RAW is a bunch of bests.

IPS as a chief, can manage the organisation, as he is good in administration

The organisation can ask military to do covert ops.

and RAS is best known for covert + overt intel gathering. Both by Tech and Humanit.

Flaws:
due to multiple cadre working in organisation, it creates a lot of political interference.

secrecy is compromised.

internal conflict on deputations.

Dovahkiin

i have read the book by A S Dulat - Kashmir the Vajpayee years and different articles published by him and yes Mr Dulat is a credible voice on kashmir issues, . A B V ji had Brijesh ji with him which was a major factor as PMO was working in absolute cohesion. Brijesh ji is what the present government lacks. R.I.P Mishra Ji

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
i have read the book by A S Dulat - Kashmir the Vajpayee years and different articles published by him and yes Mr Dulat is a credible voice on kashmir issues, . A B V ji had Brijesh ji with him which was a major factor as PMO was working in absolute cohesion. Brijesh ji is what the present government lacks. R.I.P Mishra Ji
You want Mishra ji i.e. a guy who can sabotage Modi govt. from inside!

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Mishra ji whose father was staunch politician from the Congress Party...

On A S Dulat its shame that this men was working for RAW , infact how he was selected for I&B. Sure his relative must had strong relations with congress.

Mr dulat says MMS singh made every effort to resolve kashimr, Infact even agrred to agreed to Pakistan claim that Indian supports terrorist hand in baluchistan .

Such was MMS noble peace prize syndrome.

Mr dulat/farquoo wants indian to give up claim on PoK and in turn they want pak to give up on indian Jammu and kashmir

Well hadn`t nerhru allready given up calim on PoK and still pak hasn`t given up any claim on entire J&K and still adding terrorism.

PS : I am just thinking how much secrete he might have pass just to have good relations with pakistan

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
1.Modi let BSF killed 50 plus paki civilians in retaliation within one year.

2.He showed great determination over hurriyat issue which no govt did before him I.e to remind pak and hurriyat their place.

3.Every month our security forces kills 10~ pigs in Kashmir.

I think Modi is the best P.M to handle Kashmir not Mon mohan.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Yes Modi is mishandling the Kashmir issue. Just destroy pakistan and get it over with. The nation is ready to fight the final war to reclaim our land and free Balochistan.
Much to your surprise, Most of us Indians are too self-centred for this. Tell me something, do you really think that the instagram snapchat (INSN) crowd of India is ready to redirect its resources for war? My foot.

Currently since India is an import-oriented nation, there is almost no benefit in wars. Once we start making and using our own weapons where every war will actually benefit the country, we will become an offensive nation.

Sadly, the government's bureaucrats are a bigger threat to India rather than the Pakistanis or Chinese themselves.

They have too much of smokescreen to hide behind and must be made ruthlessly accountable with unforgiving punishments for delays on matters pertaining to defence.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
The policy of Dulat used to revolve around making friendship with Porkis. He used to give bribe to Hurriyat people to keep them cool. This can be a temporary solution and not a permanent one. Modi do not believe in temporary solutions. He will not indulge in some short time gimmick. Why Dulat could not bring solution to Kashmir Problem if he is smart.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles