FOREIGN POLICY: New, Strong and Clear Outreach

dfcool

Country flag
what is india's foreign policy on using the word 'swastika', do they even care?

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
WTF is this? What deft diplomacy and why'd we expend diplomatic clout for aukus?

Now that I think about it, aukus is not really setting a good precedent for us. Sale/transfer of nuclear submarines should not be allowed. At most, a lease should be allowed.
France is giving Brazil and USA and UK are giving to Australia. What if tomorrow China gives to Pakistan?

karn

Country flag
WTF is this? What deft diplomacy and why'd we expend diplomatic clout for aukus?

Now that I think about it, aukus is not really setting a good precedent for us. Sale/transfer of nuclear submarines should not be allowed. At most, a lease should be allowed.
France is giving Brazil and USA and UK are giving to Australia. What if tomorrow China gives to Pakistan?
Pakistans uranium nukes are all made in China .That ship has sailed.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag

Now that I think about it, AUKUS is not really setting a good precedent for us. The sale/transfer of nuclear submarines should not be allowed. At most, a lease should be allowed.
France is giving Brazil and USA and the UK are giving to Australia. What if tomorrow China gives to Pakistan?
These days everything is up in the air, especially since China set up a military agreement with the Solomon Islands and AUKUS said a big "fuck you" to France.

I feel that if we were to transfer nuke capability know-how to Vietnam, nothing would happen. Not that we should be doing it.

The problem with opposing AUKUS is that we axe our own foot. Let them dish it out with the CCP. The West and Chinese fighting is the best thing that can happen to us (and possibly the Russians, who will need time to normalize after this stupid war ends).

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Pakistans uranium nukes are all made in China .That ship has sailed.
Pakis might get their uranium ore from China, but they do extract, refine and enrich it on their own, right?

These days everything is up in the air, especially since China set up a military agreement with the Solomon Islands and AUKUS said a big "fuck you" to France.

I feel that if we were to transfer nuke capability know-how to Vietnam, nothing would happen. Not that we should be doing it.

The problem with opposing AUKUS is that we axe our own foot. Let them dish it out with the CCP. The West and Chinese fighting is the best thing that can happen to us (and possibly the Russians, who will need time to normalize after this stupid war ends).
I agree. Also that opposing AUKUS is not a good idea. But that is no reason to go out of our way to support them right? Going as far away as spending diplomatic capital to help the likes of them who would have been able to pull through even without our help. I am unable to parse what our goal is here. Are we trying to do this just to portray that we are not against the grouping? Or is it something more?

karn

Country flag
Pakis might get their uranium ore from China, but they do extract, refine and enrich it on their own, right?
No .. What I mean is pakistan got nukes from china directly . I don't have the source handy .. but basically pakistans nuclear program was plutonium based .. But the chagai hills test were all uranium .. The theory goes like pakistan got a few nukes from china in exchange for AQ Khans espionage since they failed to fabricate the nuke themselves..

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
No .. What I mean is pakistan got nukes from directly . I don't have the source handy .. but basically pakistans nuclear program was plutonium based .. But the chagai hills test were all uranium .. The theory goes like pakistan got a few nukes from china in exchange for AQ Khans espionage since they failed to fabricate the nuke themselves..
Yes that is a famous case of proliferation. But the point I am trying to make is India's stance on it under the "rules based international order". It shouldn't be encouraged. Clandestine stuff keeps happening but the entire thing is kept clandestine because of international blowback against such trades. AUKUS is normalizing selling of nuclear submarines overtly. This is stuff that should not be allowed to be normalized. And the stance we take here is especially important.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag

I agree. Also that opposing AUKUS is not a good idea. But that is no reason to go out of our way to support them right? Going as far away as spending diplomatic capital to help the likes of them who would have been able to pull through even without our help. I am unable to parse what our goal is here. Are we trying to do this just to portray that we are not against the grouping? Or is it something more?

The diplomatic capital is well invested - AUKUS is happy that we backed them, while at the same time we didn't have to throw the Russians under the bus at the UNGA. The reason why we went out of the way to back their claim is that AUKUS is against China. It benefits us if Australia, for example, is able to become a headache for the PLAN near the Solomon Islands.

CCP has no intention to be genuinely friendly with us; they have a medieval mentality that is frozen in time and believes in being an old-era imperial power. Middle Kingdom syndrome makes it think that it only wants vassals. If Putin had an economic option, he'd throw Xi under the bus on DAY 1. But the American+European pressure against him compels him to befriend the Chinese beyond limits. PM Modi also knows this.

That means if CCP and the US gang ever lock horns, it will give us the room we need to establish ourselves both within our traditional ancient territorial trail, our ocean, and our Himalayas. Make no mistake; the entire Himalayan belt and at least the northern half of the Indian Ocean HAS to be in our absolute control if we have to re-emerge as a superpower in the near future.

And that can't happen till the pro-Chinese Western Liberals and the CCP Hawks have their periscopes pointed at us.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
"For multiple decades western countries did not supply weapons to India & saw military dictatorship next to us as a preferred partner", says EAM Jaishankar when asked about India - Russia defence partnership; Points,"we have long standing relationship with Russia"

johnj

No .. What I mean is pakistan got nukes from china directly . I don't have the source handy .. but basically pakistans nuclear program was plutonium based .. But the chagai hills test were all uranium .. The theory goes like pakistan got a few nukes from china in exchange for AQ Khans espionage since they failed to fabricate the nuke themselves..
Pak nuke material & tech from china; fund from saudi; security, protection & safe guard measures from US.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Looks this will one of the themes of our G20 presidency.

many ministers have made this statement recently.
======
India's move towards low emission growth pathway has largely been financed by domestic resources until now. We need international financial commitments & technological support from developed countries.

HitmanBlood

Country flag

We have been the biggest victim of nuclear bias as our neighborhood Jihadi country was given nukes by China and this proliferation was supported by entire west and Ummah. To add assault to injury all current non-proliferation rules were made especially for India to make sure we don't advance our nuclear ambitions.

So it doesn't really matter for us that who proliferates nukes to who. Our case is closed. Now its time for others too feel nuclear uncertainty like we are facing on regular basis.

notaname

Country flag
FM Jaishankar explaining why it is important for India to speak on behalf of developing countries.

"The richer, developed countries are not fully grasping how much poorer countries are being hurt with what is happening in the world. It's an very stressful, very unhappy world", says EAM Jaishankar in Cairo during meet with Indian diaspora.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles