Forcing foreign language will spread inequality: Mulayam

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The majority of India does not speak Hindi.

And even the Hindi spoken is not the Hindi that one classifies as Hindi. Maithili and Bhojpuri is no Hindi. Maithli has many Bengali words!

Maithili has been considered a "dialect" of both Hindi and Bengali but thanks to an active movement calling for official status for the language, in 2003 it was included in the Eighth Schedule of the Indian Constitution, which now allows the language to be used in education, government, and other official contexts. Maithili has a very rich literary and cultural heritage.

prahladh

Respected Member
I don't see any of my post where I'm supporting abolishing any language. I said I "preferred" and "better" unlike MSY who wanted a strict Hindi.

May be its a problem with my English but let me clear it that I don't support MSY's views.

Silly arguement:(:)(:)((

Here's another:
People who do not know Hindi outnumber people who do, so lets abolish Hindi

Antimony

I don't see any of my post where I'm supporting abolishing any language. I said I "preferred" and "better" unlike MSY who wanted a strict Hindi.

May be its a problem with my English but let me clear it that I don't support MSY's views.
Here is what you said earlier:

He is right about this thing. In lok Sabha, its better everyone spoke in Hindi (National Language). Most of our Indians should understand Hindi.
I think I have showed you that our constitution and laws says something different. Also, most of "our" Indians do not understand Hindi, and will certainly not attempt to do so if you force it down their throats

prahladh

Respected Member
And I have made myself clear by distancing from MSY. I think you can see the contradiction in those three sentences. Sorry for the typo.
And I would re-iterate that I preferred and MSY is the one who is trying to force.

Here is what you said earlier:

I think I have showed you that our constitution and laws says something different. Also, most of "our" Indians do not understand Hindi, and will certainly not attempt to do so if you force it down their throats

Antimony

And I have made myself clear by distancing from MSY. I think you can see the contradiction in those three sentences. Sorry for the typo.
And I would re-iterate that I preferred and MSY is the one who is trying to force.
Fair enough...

By the way, just to be clear, I was not trying to suggest that you should not express ideas. You have absolute right to your opinions (whatever I might think of them), which in this case is that you would like to see a more widespread use of Hindi.

MSY, on the other hand, tries to force his views down people throat and deserve treatment accordingly

Flint

Well, Even Sonia is learning/speaking Hindi. But in such special cases they can go ahead with their preferred choice. But if there is a possibility where he/she knows Hindi then why English!
I seriously don't know see what fantastic difference it will make if they speak in Hindi.

Most of our political debate is crass, cheap and a waste of time anyways.

Maybe we should discuss how to make people like Laloo Yadav and Mulayam Yadav stop conning the masses with cheap identity politics and start working for development.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
MSY asked Menaka Gandhi to speak in Hindi.

She told him that she would speak in any language she desired!

Of course, we are proud of our national language, but many prefer to talk in thier own mother tongue or in English.

If people like MSY forces Hindi, then there will come a time where we will be disadvantaged as the Chinese, who while progressing by leaps and bounds, find not knowing English is a serious handicap in communicating with other nationalities.

Try these links
Chinglish! Hilarious examples of signs lost in translation | Mail Online
World's Best Jokes: Funny Chinese/English Translations (U) | theVoiceofReason.co.uk

World's Best Jokes: Funny Chinese/English Translations (U) | theVoiceofReason.co.uk

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
So, Mulayam, what if you were called 'Soft Lion' by those who don't know Hindi well and try translating in Hindi?

Or Lallo Pershad Yadav be known as "Cradled Baby God's Offering Lion'?

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
So, Mulayam, what if you were called 'Soft Lion' by those who don't know Hindi well and try translating in Hindi?

Or Lallo Pershad Yadav be known as "Cradled Baby Gos's Offering Lion'?
Sir,

i dont know you followed last night's report of ndtv on this issue which went as "mind your language", where they covered all that happened in the parliament on this issue, and after mg and jai ram, in came lalu where he was talking of global warming but kept saying "global warning", until of course he was corrected but then the agitated lalu replied back, and iirc saying "hamen bhi angrezi aati hai" or something of the sort, and next to him was msy.

peacecracker

Yeah.In Tamilnadu,Andhra,most of the Karnataka and Kerala ,Goa,Parts of so called Hindi Belt also don't understands Hindi.Personal Experience.Instead of Hindi ,Learn English.Only Some people who equated English=British=Colonialists=Enemy -Especially in Northern States.
I am neutral.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sir,

i dont know you followed last night's report of ndtv on this issue which went as "mind your language", where they covered all that happened in the parliament on this issue, and after mg and jai ram, in came lalu where he was talking of global warming but kept saying "global warning", until of course he was corrected but then the agitated lalu replied back, and iirc saying "hamen bhi angrezi aati hai" or something of the sort, and next to him was msy.

:)

Laloo is cute!

The man has foresight. What he meant was it is a 'warning' against 'global warming'. ;)

Yes he has an idea of Angrezi. Pidgin!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I think the more the language you understand or know, it helps you to get along in life!

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned

Or Lallo Pershad Yadav be known as "Cradled Baby God's Offering Lion'?
If you are pointing out at me . I do speak Hindi/Urdu/Telugu

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Uproar in Rajya Sabha over use of English by Jairam Ramesh
PTI 20 July 2009, 12:43pm IST

NEW DELHI: Environment and Forest Minister Jairam Ramesh on Monday ran into fresh trouble in Parliament for replying to questions in English when a BJP member objected to it in the Rajya Sabha, leading to uproar in the House.

Trouble arose during the Question Hour when Ramesh replied in English to a supplementary put to him in Hindi, triggering a sharp reaction from Kalraj Mishra (BJP) who asked why was he not replying in Hindi despite being fluent in it.

To this Ramesh commented in Hindi: "Kalraj Mishraji yeh Mulayam Singhji ki bimari aap ko bhi pahuch gayi hai (this 'disease' of Mulyam Singh Yadav has reached you)", referring to the SP leader raising in Lok Sabha the issue of ministers being fluent in Hindi but using English.

The minister's remark drew flak from the BJP, SP and BSP members, who said Hindi was not a disease.

Chairman Hamid Ansari then said both the languages could be used in the House and members should not make an issue out of a non-issue.

"This (original) question was asked in English and the minister has the right to answer it in English," he ruled.

But this did not pacify the members who kept protesting against Ramesh's remark till the Chair ruled that any comment against the national language would be expunged.

Uproar in Rajya Sabha over use of English by Jairam Ramesh - India - NEWS - The Times of India

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
all in the name of political upmanship ho the shame

Global Defence

New threads

Articles