Forcing foreign language will spread inequality: Mulayam

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Forcing foreign language will spread inequality: Mulayam

New Delhi (PTI) SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, known for his anti-English language views, on Monday said forcing foreign languages on Indian students will spread inequality in the country.

"I want to warn the government that forcing foreign language on students in the country will spread inequality," he said in the Lok Sabha during Question Hour.

Mr. Yadav contended that English language was spoken only in seven countries across the world. "Even in Italy it (English) is not spoken. I am not joking. I am serious," he said pointing at UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi.

He said during one of his visits to Geneva, a query in English by him got him no reply.

Mr. Yadav said the government should set up better universities rather than have ones from abroad. "We have no shortage of scholars. We should set up our own world class universities," he said.

HRD Minister Kapil Sibal said the government was in the process of setting up 30 Central universities and 14 world class institutes.

The Hindu News Update Service

Ours politicians never leave any chance to pull legs of each other

peacecracker

I pity.English can be the Only common language for India.but I agree that for north India's five states Hindi can be the common language.It is Adamantly refuted in South Indian states especially tamilnadu.what Mulaayam talks about English is the same for Southerners who cannot understand Hindi.Moreover anti-hindi agitations are in our history.remember the words of annadurai,DMK leader from tamilnadu:
If we had to accept the principle of numerical superiority while selecting our national bird, the choice would have fallen not on the peacock but on the common crow".
The intensity of anti-Hindi protests created concern among the Congress leaders. On 31 January 1965, a group of leaders including S.Nijalingappa, Chief minister of Mysore, Atulya Ghosh, Bengal Congress leader, Sanjeeva Reddy, Union Minister and K. Kamaraj, the Congress president met in Bangalore and issued an appeal not to force Hindi on non-Hindi speaking areas as they believed it might endanger the unity of the country.
Congress leader Morarji Desai said that by learning Hindi, Tamil people will increase their influence in India. He regretted that Hindi was not made official before the anti-Hindi protests crystallised. He said Congress leaders in Madras should convince people there and no regional sentiments should come in the move to forge the integration of the country.
On 11 February 1965, after the resignation of two Union ministers from madras, Lal Bahadur Shastri announced in All India Radio that he would fully honour Nehru's assurances that English would be used as long as people wanted. He also gave the following assurances.
“ Every state will have complete and unfettered freedom to continue to transact its own business in the language of its own choice, which may be the regional language or English. Communications between one State to another will either be in English or will be accompanied by authentic English translation.
The non-Hindi states will be free to correspond with the Central Government in English and no change will be made in this arrangement without the consent of the non-Hindi States.
In the transaction of business at the Central level English will continue to be used.
All India Civil Services examination would continue to be conducted in English rather than in Hindi alone.
[21][22]
Anti-Hindi agitations of Tamil Nadu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Antimony

Mulayam is an idiot (or opportunist or hypocrite or <INSERT INVECTIVE>).

The inequality exists because people at different socioeconomic levels have at educations differentials at the very least (on top of a hundred other things like wealth or caste or religion or whatever).

A standardised syllabus would level at least that playing field.

A low caste girl from a village in Chapra has very little chances of making it big a if a proper education (in English) is made available to her and she can compete with the rish city kids.

prateikf

Country flag
yes your right. it is our nation's misfortune to have leaders like mulayam and mayawati. just look at the poor economic condition of Uttar Pradesh

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
English is an international language now and its helpful even for us Indians to communicate with each other and i completely disagree with Mr Mulayum (soft) Singh . we Indians should learn English and we can even keep ours native languages

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
He asked questions in English in Geneva whose local language is French.
Mulayam is a jerk. He doesnt want computers too.
He should be told how China is putting in all its efforts to teach its people English so that it can be competitive in an English dominated world.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Does he know anything about India and the regional cultures? Mulayam is the guy who told he will ban coputers if he comes to power right? If it is the same guy then he must be ignored. Let him go to the moon on the cycle if he wishes too.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
This is Lok Sabha, not London: Mulayam tells Jairam Ramesh

Updated on Wednesday, July 15, 2009, 15:13 IST

New Delhi: Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav, known for his opposition to the use of English, Wednesday asked Union Minister Jairam Ramesh to reply to his question in Hindi, saying this was "the Lok Sabha, not London".

Mulayam Singh had raised a query during question hour for Ramesh, the Minister of State for Environment and Forest, on the "indiscriminate felling of trees in Lucknow and Noida".

Anticipating a reply in English from the minister, Mulayam Singh said, "You know Hindi. This is Lok Sabha, not London."

Jairam Ramesh, who looked embarrassed, said he did know Hindi and replied in the language.

However, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Maneka Gandhi was not so obliging.

When she asked a question in English, Mulayam Singh, who was sitting in the front row, requested her to speak in Hindi. But Maneka Gandhi said she would decide which language the question would be asked in and had the freedom to speak in any tongue.

Earlier on Monday, Mulayam Singh had said forcing foreign languages on Indian students would cause inequality in the country.

This is Lok Sabha, not London, Mulayam tells Jairam Ramesh

prahladh

Respected Member
This is Lok Sabha, not London: Mulayam tells Jairam Ramesh

Updated on Wednesday, July 15, 2009, 15:13 IST

New Delhi: Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav, known for his opposition to the use of English, Wednesday asked Union Minister Jairam Ramesh to reply to his question in Hindi, saying this was "the Lok Sabha, not London".

Mulayam Singh had raised a query during question hour for Ramesh, the Minister of State for Environment and Forest, on the "indiscriminate felling of trees in Lucknow and Noida".

Anticipating a reply in English from the minister, Mulayam Singh said, "You know Hindi. This is Lok Sabha, not London."

Jairam Ramesh, who looked embarrassed, said he did know Hindi and replied in the language.

However, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Maneka Gandhi was not so obliging.

When she asked a question in English, Mulayam Singh, who was sitting in the front row, requested her to speak in Hindi. But Maneka Gandhi said she would decide which language the question would be asked in and had the freedom to speak in any tongue.

Earlier on Monday, Mulayam Singh had said forcing foreign languages on Indian students would cause inequality in the country.

This is Lok Sabha, not London, Mulayam tells Jairam Ramesh
He is right about this thing. In lok Sabha, its better everyone spoke in Hindi (National Language). Most of our Indians should understand Hindi.

Flint

He is right about this thing. In lok Sabha, its better everyone spoke in Hindi (National Language). Most of our Indians should understand Hindi.
Somehow people from UP and Delhi think that all Indians ought to speak the "national language".

Mulayam is playing on populist sentiments obviously. If he thinks he can develop UP using only Hindi, best of luck to him.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
MSY is first class sucker english has served as the Link langauage between the Intellagensia of India for over 200 years and this moron whants to change that english is a langauage that helped us in our fight against the British and today Indians are known for their english speaking skills i think he is historically blind is there a Dr in the house

prahladh

Respected Member
Somehow people from UP and Delhi think that all Indians ought to speak the "national language".

Mulayam is playing on populist sentiments obviously. If he thinks he can develop UP using only Hindi, best of luck to him.
I was talking about language in Loksahbha and rajya-sabhas only.

Flint

I was talking about language in Loksahbha and rajya-sabhas only.
What matters is substance. The language you speak in hardly matters.

IMO, Indian children should learn atleast 2 or maybe 3 languages - Hindi, English and Native Language. But English should be compulsory.

prahladh

Respected Member
What matters is substance. The language you speak in hardly matters.

IMO, Indian children should learn atleast 2 or maybe 3 languages - Hindi, English and Native Language. But English should be compulsory.
I was supporting Hindi in houses because people in India who know Hindi outnumber those who know English. The topics discussed in the House are generally related to India, so I'm preferring Hindi in "Parliament".

I'm not supporting MSY's view of abolishing English in schools.

Flint

I was supporting Hindi in houses because people in India who know Hindi outnumber those who know English. The topics discussed in the House are generally related to India, so I'm preferring Hindi in "Parliament".

So what would an MP who cannot speak Hindi do?

prahladh

Respected Member
So what would an MP who cannot speak Hindi do?
Well, Even Sonia is learning/speaking Hindi. But in such special cases they can go ahead with their preferred choice. But if there is a possibility where he/she knows Hindi then why English!

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
mulayam is stuck with age old argument which really does not hold ground but then the audience he is trying to cater to is what is today termed as bharat and i would just not be shocked/surprised if he has struck a cord with his potential voters in his home state.

take the recent frenzy of erecting statues by mayawati and last night in an opinion poll on ndtv they said some 63% dalits supported her move, some fodder for thought.

well all such talk sells like a hot cake in a voters market where there is no access to computers, or where a single english word is seen as a language of aliens and it is easy to paint all such things as luxuries for the elites that need to be shunned no matter how progressive they might be and if the crusader can arouse the emotions the better because at stake is a loosing battle for both mulayam and mayawati at the hands of a yuvraj who quite successfully has challenged the mulayam's and the mayawati's in their own court yard, well thats the politics of up for you.

imagine both these politicians have dreams of becoming the next PMs of this country.

as far as the argument of hindi v/s english is concerned, well one just needs to reflect at the out sourcing industry india has been able to create and be the market leaders in that based on many capabilities of which having a fluent english language speaking population is one for sure, but alas such a crowd is not a vote bank of mulayam, so why would a certain mulayam really care.

these are the people who plan our today and tomorrow!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Mulayam folks have studied and are studying in La Martineiere, Lucknow.

They don't teach French. It is all in English!

So?

Antimony

Reply to rimser9

He or anyone else for that matter has no right to dictate whether a person can speak in Hindi or English or a vernacular. Is right there in the constitution

This is what the Constitution says
120. Language to be used in Parliament.— (1) Notwithstanding anything in Part XVII, but subject to the provisions of article 348, business in Parliament shall be transacted in Hindi or in English:
Provided that the Chairman of the Council of States or Speaker of the House of the People, or person acting as such, as the case may be, may permit any member who cannot adequately express himself in Hindi or in English to address the House in his mother-tongue.
(2) Unless Parliament by law otherwise provides, this article shall, after the expiration of a period of fifteen years from the commencement of this Constitution, have effect as if the words “or in English” were omitted therefrom.
The Official Languages Act 1963 removed the contention that English would be discontinued
An Act to provide for the languages which may be used for the official purposes of the Union, for transaction of business in Parliament, for Centrtal and State, Acts and for certain purposes in HighCourts. Be it enacted by Parliament in the Fourteenth Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
3. Continuation of english Language for official purposes of the Union and for
use in Parliament-
(1) Nothwithstanding the expiration of the period of fifteen years from the
commencement of the Constitution, the English language may, as from the appointed day, continue to be used in addition to Hindi,
(a) for all the official purposes of the Union for which it was being used immediately before that day; and
(b) for the transaction of business in Parliament:
So don't bother dictating on who should understand which language. you want to change that, go ahead and appeal to your MP for a change of the constitution and the associated laws and bylaws. Meanwhile, we will see what we can do

It is unfortunate that a person of Jairam Ramesh's stature allowed himself to be browbeat by a second grade politican. He should have told Mulayam to stuff it. Whatever I think of Maneka Gandhi, I think she was right in putting this idiot in his place.

I love Hindi myself and speak it fairly well. But forcing it down my throat would be tyranny and I will oppose it

Antimony

Silly arguement:(:)(:)((

Here's another:
People who do not know Hindi outnumber people who do, so lets abolish Hindi

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles