Food Thread

Pintu

Great pics of food dd, kudos for it,

Dear antimony , I have to google and study a little bit after posting for Paya biryani , thanks again Antimony.

Regards

Antimony

Great pics of food dd, kudos for it,

Dear antimony , I have to google and study a little bit after posting for Paya biryani , thanks again Antimony.

Regards
don't know where you live in Calcutta, but do yourself a favour. Go to Barrackpore Station. There is a place called Dada Biudir biryani

Its freaking awesome:D:D:D

Unfortunately, Seattle (where I live) for all its good things, has nothing remotely resembling good calcutta biryani :(( :(

Pintu

don't know where you live in Calcutta, but do yourself a favour. Go to Barrackpore Station. There is a place called Dada Biudir biryani

Its freaking awesome:D:D:D

Unfortunately, Seattle (where I live) for all its good things, has nothing remotely resembling good calcutta biryani :(( :(
Well, dear Antimony , I do not live in Kolkata , I live in a place nearby, and yes I have heard the name of Dada Boudir hotel and their famous Biriyani not Biudi :wink:and their master cook , whose job is to tell their assistants about mixing their masala , the formula , but Paya is a rich meat soup, I'll have to found out in sabir.

Yes :( I feel your sentiments .

Regards

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
natraj shabb this Is a bit pointed in the "direction" dont you think

Elmo

I saw all the yum food and the not-so-yum drinks here and thought wait, lil Elmo survives on instant noodles for more than half the year...

so here are maggi noodles

and the man we owe the most to, the creator of instant noodles!

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Please don't defile this beautiful thread with pics of instant noodles :barf:

had the most amazing meal @ the beautiful Taman Gang

Signature Cocktails were not too my liking stuck to the tried and tested Negronis.

Their Chinese cuisine was awesome, Japanese not so awesome.

For steak lovers they have some awesome Angus beef steaks.

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
SOME OF MY FAV KERALA CUISINES

IDDLI/Sambar.

MASALA DOSA..AND ..HER..COUSINS

FISH MOLLY

Fish molly/puttu

MALABAR CHICKEN BIRIYANI

KERALA CHICKEN CURRY

APPAM/LAMB

And finally..kerala traditional style..SERVING in BANANA LEAF

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Chicken Chettinad and Mutton Murtabak are the 2 best foods created by Tamils.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Pesarattu. An Andhra variant of dosa made with pesar-dal (moong-dal with its green skin on). Many restaurants also make it the size of "70 mm dosa" and call it "MLA pesarattu". lol

It doesn't have any filling, and is usually not taken with sambhar. Instead with coconut and ginger chutneys. Its soft side is green instead of white, and the crisp side dark brown. The pesar-dal gives it a nice chunky texture.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
kosha mangsho for me!

Ingredients:
1 kg mutton
2 tbsp mustard oil
1 inch of cinnamon
4 green cardamoms
4 cloves
1 cup of grated onion
2½ tsp ginger-garlic paste
½ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 cup hung curd
1 tsp cumin seeds
salt to taste
fresh coriander for garnishing

Method:
Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and sauté the green cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon. Brown the onion, ginger-garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder with a dash of water.

Add the mutton and salt. Mix well with the masala. Now mix in the hung curd.

In another pan, roast and pound the cumin seeds. Add this to the mutton with some more water.

Pour 1 more tbsp of mustard oil, cover and let it simmer for 30 - 40 mins, till the mutton is tender.

Garnish with coriander and serve hot.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
I like Paneer Butter Masala with Butter-Naan, it's just yummy combination to eat & to satisfy tongue & fill stomach.

Paneer Butter Masala Recipe :

Ingredients:
125 grams paneer
2/3 drops soya sauce
1 tomato (grind to a fine paste)
1 Tsp tomato puree
2 onions (grind to fine paste)
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Dhania Powder (coriander powder)
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
3 cloves
1 tsp cashews
1 Cinnamon (dalchini) stick
1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
1/4 tsp chilli powder
3 Tsp Yogurt
coriander leaves
4-5 Tsp butter
Salt

Method:
1. Grind cloves, cinnamon to fine powder
2. Heat oil, fry few paneer cubes on medium heat until very light brown. Set the paneer pieces aside.
3. Grate remaining paneer and keep it aside
4. Heat oil or butter, fry onions, ginger garlic paste, for 3 minutes add 2 or 3 drops of soya sauce.
5. Add tomato paste and puree and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Add cashews, Dhania powder, Cumin powder, garam masala powder, salt,chilli powder, extra butter and masala powder from step 1.
7. Add yogurt and stir until gravy becomes thick. Add fried paneer cubes, grated paneer add 1/2 -1 cup water and simmer for 5 minutes , until all the flavour is absorbed into paneer.
8. Serve hot garnished with grated paneer and few coriander leaves with Butter Naan.

Butter Naan Recipe :

Ingredients

* 3 cups all purpose flour
* ½ cup unsalted butter, cold
* 1 cup plain yogurt
* 3 tablespoons of hot water
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 2 teaspoons active dry yeast (Make sure its freshly bought store yeast and not an opened one)
* 1 ½ teaspoons salt
* 1 egg (leave if vegetarian)
* 2 teaspoons chaat masala mixed with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil

Method

In a large bowl add the 3 cups of flour and butter. With your hands, blend the butter into the flour until it forms coarse crumbs. You can do this in a blender as well, but the rest if the procedure when worked with hands gives a better texture to the dough.
Stir water and yeast until yeast is completely dissolved. Now make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the yogurt, sugar, egg, salt and yeast mixture.
Knead into the flour and until the whole dough collects into a mass. It will be wet and sticky.

Wipe your hands clean and oil them. Now knead the dough with the oiled hands until smooth and satiny, for about 10 minutes; oiling your hands more if required. The dough is still very soft and pliable.

Cover the bowl and let the dough rest until doubled in volume; about 4 hours.
Punch down the dough, knead for a minute and divide into 16 equal portions.
With a rolling pin, quickly roll out each ball into a 5 inch round. With your fingers, stretch each round into a 5-7 inch oval.

Cooking in the Oven:

Preheat the oven to 260 C or to the maximum heat.If you have a baking stone; place it in the oven. Arrange a few of the naans in a single layer on the ungreased baking sheets or directly on the baking stone. And bake until they are puffed and brown, 4-5 minutes.

Repeat with the remaining naans. Keep the baked naans aside. Naans can be pre made and kept warm wrapped in a cloth and inside bread box/any other covered container.Before serving, preheat broiler to maximum heat. Transfer a few of the naans to the broiler pan and broil for 15-20 seconds to brown the tops.

You can also brown the tops on the gas stove; hold the naans with the tongs and place them directly over the flame for about 10 seconds. Repeat with remaining breads.Brush the tops lighly with chaat masala oil if desired.Serve hot.

Cooking on Gas Stove:

Heat an iron skillet on high heat. On one side of the rolled out naan, apply water all around. Place the water side on the skillet and quickly invert the skillet showing it directly on the flame, as shown in the picture. Don’t let the flame touch the naan.

After about a minute, you will notice that the naan starts to puff and brown. At this point, turn the skillet over, keep aside. Remove the naan from the skillet and with the help of tongs, place the other side of the naan directly over the flame for about 10-15 seconds.

Once browed; brush the tops lighly with chaat masala oil if desired and serve immediately.Source : Butter Naan - These naans are so delicious that you can have it as a tea time snack as well or serve : ArchanaDoshi blogs on sulekha, Food blogs, ArchanaDoshi blog from india

I love these two dishes, in fact i order these dishes whenever i go in reputed Dhaba or Restaurant famous for these recipes...Whenever i do fast i these two dishes comes in my dreams and i make plans to have these dishes after completing fast :goodstuff:

sandeepdg

I am also an foodie at heart, being a Bengali its hard to resist good food ! My favorite is Hilsa Fish Curry in mustard sauce, Kosha Mangsho (Chicken or Mutton in a rich dry gravy) similar to what Raider mentioned above as well as all fish fast food preparations like Prawn Fried Rice, Fish Tikiya Roll, Fish fry, Fish butter fry, Fish fingers as well as the Chinese food in Kolkata. Believe me when I tell you folks, you won't such a variety of delicious fish items and better and authentic Chinese food anywhere in India !! :dfi-1:

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
MORE FROM KERALA..XMAS...SPECIAL.

Aappam + mutta (egg) roast - Rice pancake and Egg Roast

Puttu + pappadam + Pazham (banana) + kadala curry - Made with a flour, ground nuts.

Puttu + pappadam + Pazham + Erachi (meat) Roast

You know this.. We call it Ney Dosai. The Sambar is distinct, with multi vegetables!

Need no introduction!! - Idly.

Noolputtu (Indian rice noodles) + vegetable stew

Typical feast lunch on banana leaf!

This is a collection of some delicious pictures of South Indian food. South Indian cuisine consists of food from the states of Tamil nadu, Kerala, Karnataka and Andhra pradesh.

Biriyani (flavoured rice), see the cashew, egg & tomato garnishing

Erachi (Lamb) Roast

(Meat) curry

To be contd..

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
FISH DELIGHTS....Meen (Fish) curry (Coconut milk based)

Meen (Fish) curry (Tamarind based)

Meen (Fish) curry

(Meen) FISHroast + Kappa

(Meen)FISH roast

dosa

Lime pickle

Mango pickle

xebex

Its typical authentic Kerala food. My favorite would be Biriyani and kerala style fish roast with a glass of toddy from a local toddy bar...OOhh yeahhhh!!.

I havent tried most of these food items especially from the North India, some of them seem very intimidating to me lolz. Anyways, nice thread....I will try to upload some pics from Kerala also.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Bump !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag

Natukodi, a chicken gravy dish from Rayalaseema. It may not look like much, but tastes insanely great with steamed rice. Hyderabadis can catch it at Rayalaseema Ruchulu (Tastes of Rayalaseema) in Masab Tank area.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles