Food Thread

Pintu

Another Bengali Mouth Watering Recipe

Dry Mutton Recipe - How To Make Dry Mutton - How To Prepare Dry Mutton Recipe

Indian Recipes : Dry Mutton Recipe
Dry Mutton is a very popular recipe. Learn how to make/prepare Dry Mutton by following this easy recipe. .

Ingredients:

• 500 gms Mutton
• 10 Garlic Cloves (minced)
• 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
• 1 tbsp Garam Masala Powder
• 1 cup Curd
• 2 Bay Leaves
• 1 cup Mustard Oil
• 1 inch piece of Ginger (grated)
• Salt to taste

How to make Dry Mutton:

• Beat the curd.
• Marinate mutton pieces in 1 tbsp of oil with turmeric, salt and curd for about 2 hours.
• Heat oil in a kadhai.
• Add ginger, garlic and bay leaves. Fry for a minute.
• Add marinated mutton pieces.
• Make the flame low and cook for nearly half an hour until the mutton pieces become tender.
• Mix garam masala and stir properly.
• When the mutton turns tender and almost dry, remove it from the flame.
• Dry Mutton is ready.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
All about rice

All about rice

Published: Saturday | June 27, 2009

Heather Little-White, Contributor

Rice can be served separately as part of all-in-one meals.

Did you know that rice is grown on every continent of the world except Antarctica? Rice has become a staple of many diets around the world and, in the chain of supply and demand, hundreds of kinds of rice are grown. Rice is an essential staple and in some languages the word 'eat' means 'to eat rice'. Most of the world eats white rice over brown rice.

Selecting rice from a supermarket shelf can be quite confusing if you do not know what to look for. Despite the wide variety of rice, they are broken down into categories - Japonica, rice that sticks together; and Indica, rice that is dry and separate.

What makes them different is the proportion of starches, amylopectin and amylase in each. Japonica has a large amount of amylopectin, a sticky starch found in medium- and short-grain rice. When this category of rice is cooked, it has a soft, clinging consistency and is able to absorb the flavours of other ingredients.

Long-grain rice

Long-grain rice is from the Indica group and high in amylase, a dry, non-waxy starch, causing rice to cook into firm, dry, separate grains. All long-grain rices have the same general characteristics.

Long grains are slender and three to five times as long as they are wide. When cooked, long-grain rice stays dry, separate and fluffy. Examples of long-grain rice are Basmati and Jasmine, which are both imported aromatic rices.

Basmati, which has very long, separate grains that expand lengthwise when cooked, is imported from India and Pakistan. Most Jasmine rice is grown in Thailand, is soft and only slightly clingy when cooked.

Speciality rice has a unique flavour or texture or is grown in specific regions. These include aromatic rice with a subtle floral scent and flavour.

Sushi making

The size and shape of the grains are used in the marketing of rice - short, medium and long. The size and shape give no indication of the strain or variety. Medium-grain white rice implies that the grain is two and a half to three times as long as it is wide. When cooked, it has a soft texture that clings together.

Medium rice is often mistaken for short-grain rice just because it is smaller than long-grain rice. Japanese-style and Arborio are firm, sticky medium grain ideally used for sushi making and eating with chopsticks.

Used with risotto, Arborio is medium grain Italian rice that cooks to a creamy consistency, while the grains remain firm. Short-grain rice is nearly round and is not widely available.

White rice is the starchy part of the grain left after the inedible husk, fibre-rich bran and nutritious germ are removed. Enriched rice is white rice sprayed with nutrients, replacing nutrients removed during processing. White rice supplies good amounts of niacin, thiamine and iron and is free from cholesterol.

Brown rice

Brown rice is produced when only the inedible outer husk of the grain is removed. The high-fibre bran is not polished off as is done in the production of white rice. It is the bran layer which extends cooking time and gives its characteristic tan colour and nutty flavour.

Nutritionally, brown rice is a good source of magnesium which helps in blood-pressure control. It is also a source of niacin, thiamine and vitamin B6, vitamins necessary for energy metabolism and the production of red blood cells. The rice also provides a fair source of iron and is free from cholesterol.

Parboiled rice

Many persons mistake parboiled or precooked rice for brown rice. Parboiled rice is partially cooked in the husk, passing nutrients from the bran into the rice increasing its nutritional value. Grains are yellowish and produce a firm texture when cooked. It also has a slick surface and a slightly bouncy texture.

Precooked or 'instant' rice has been fully cooked and then dried. To serve, instant rice only needs rehydration, saving time at the expense of flavour and texture.

Wild rice

What is so wild about rice? The name is misleading as wild rice is no cousin to regular rice and is not a true rice. It is the seed of a wild grass, native to the lake shores of Minnesota in the United States.

Highly nutritious, one serving of wild rice provides about 11 per cent of the recommended daily intake for folate, important for the regeneration of the red blood cells. It is also rich in zinc, essential for proper wound healing and the immune system.

Wild rice is distinctive because of its bluish-black husks, with a nutty flavour and chewy texture. Wild rice is best served with turkey, pheasant, quail, oysters and mushrooms. It is ideal for pilaf, stuffing and salads. Wild rice is expensive but it can be extended by combining it with brown rice. It is best prepared by soaking in cold water for a few minutes before cooking then pouring off any debris that floats to the surface.

Production

Rice is grown in two ways, depending on the location and the climate. Lowland rice is grown in flooded plains called paddies so that the roots can make use of the nutrient content from the water in which it is planted. Paddy rice farmers usually plant the seeds first in little seabeds and then transfer them to flooded fields which are already ploughed.

Where there is not enough moisture to nurture the rice crops, upland rice is used. This rice type is planted on soil and its roots only extract nutrients depending on the nutrient content of the soil. This method produces fewer rice varieties since only a few nutrients are available for the roots.

Polished rice

After rice is harvested, it is dried, then the hull or the outer layer removed. At this stage it is brown rice. Further processing removes the bran to produce white rice. The bran is polished off by passing the kernels through a machine where they are polished finely by brushes. This explains why some rice packages are labelled 'polished' or 'milled'.

Uncooked white rice can be stored for an indefinite period if stored in a cool, dark, dry place. However, brown rice is best stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. It contains oil-rich bran layer so the brown rice will go rancid if left in a warm place.

Rice is easy to cook - steaming, baking or boiling. Rice does not need to be rinsed before cooking as this will wash away the coating of nutrients in enriched rice. Once rice is cooked, it can keep in the refrigerator for up to three days.

leonblack08

Respected Member
My favourite food's list is very very long.

Kachchi Biriyani
Chicken Biriyani
Sheek Kebab
Grilled Chicken with butter nun
Shwarma
And every possible type of Kebab(Shami kebab,zali kebab,shuta kebab)
Haleem
Kichudi with Hilsa fish fry
Bhuna Kichudi with beef

And the list goes on....:blum3:

leonblack08

Respected Member
Kachchi Biriyani

Chicken Biriyani

Halim at Iftar during Ramadan

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
One thing i know is you all are gonna die before me.This thread should be renamed
'Who loves calories more?' thread

leonblack08

Respected Member
the Famous Mirpur Mustakeen Kabab

Sheek Kebab

Old Dhaka Style Chicken

Photo courtsey:
Vipez from Flickr

Singaporean Chowmen and Chilli Chicken

So.........Hungry...need....spicy........food.....

Pintu

Well I have tried a new recipe at my home with Japanese Quail , Quail are little birds and adult ones are grown maximum to 20 cms. and approx. weight is 92 Grams of a piece

image courtesy : Birds of India: Home Page

It is tasteful and I even found it tastier than Chicken.

However , I have used frozen quail for the purpose.

Now the preparation for the Dish:

I have named it Quail Curry:

Quail Curry:

The ingredients:

Japanese Quail frozen : 2 whole piece ( 92 x 2 ) = 184 gms.

Cold water to rinse and de freeze (Any one can use normal water for rinse)

Marinate :

Turmeric powder ( more than 1/2 teaspoon but less than 1 teaspoon)
Onion paste ( 4 Medium sized onions)
Garlic Paste (4 Cloves)
Sahi Garam Masala (1/2 Teaspoon)
Zeera Powder (1/3 teaspoon) or Cumin seed
Sour Curd or Dahi(Sour 1 and quarter Table spoon )
Kashmiri Mirch (Kashmiri Chilli Powder) optional however I recommend 1/2 to 1/3 Teaspoon
Ginger Paste (1 and 1/2 Teaspoon)
Juice of half of a lime
Sugar

Cooking : Oil 1 Tablespoon (Any good edible oil can do except coconut)

Dried Chilli flakes : 4

Bay leaf : 2-3 pieces

Darchini or Dalchini : 2-3 Sticks

Salt for taste

De freeze :

De freeze is a time taking process for de freezing you have to put cold water in a bowl and rinse the quails and drain the water. Repeat the process for 3 times with a gap of 30 Mins in between :

The process which I have used to de freeze it.

After de freezing marinate the whole Quail pieces with juice of the half of lime and keep it for 10 Minutes

in the meantime prepare the marinate using all the ingredients mentioned above and making a paste.

Now marinate the Quails with paste and keep it in a bowl for 15-30 Mins.

Note: I have used Sugar for making reddish colour to the curry.

Cooking : Now heat oil in a Kadai one can use wok or Non stick Tawa , I have used Khonti (Metal Spatula used in Bengal for cooking ) one can use spatula.

Add Chilli flakes , Dalchini, and bay leaf

Now add quails along with marinates stir the pieces make sure the paste can enter into the quails. now add salt for taste.

Keep stiring and cover with lid for 10 Mins to make a side prepared well and after 10 mins turn over the pieces to make other side done for 10 Mins using spatula. make sure to turn flame from high to little medium.

Open the lid it is ready and water almost dried down. Now serve it with Hot Rice or Roti.

Cheers!

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Pintuda can you adapt this dish to the local quails ? and what is the price of Japanese Quails, haven't really seen any Delhi ?

Pintu

Pintuda can you adapt this dish to the local quails ? and what is the price of Japanese Quails, haven't really seen any Delhi ?
Singhji, I think that can be done , however I bought Frozen Japanese quails from Stall of West Bengal Govt's food processing and live stock department's stall, a packet of 350 gms cost Rs. 47/- I bought 700 gms for Rs. 94/-.

Regards

Jeypore

I love cooking, and there is something I discovered to cook which is fast and easy:

First you cook the chop onions in oil (little extra) till golden brown.
second you add the masalas
they are:
ginger
garlic
basil leaf dried
pre-made Paya masala (shan brand for example)

stir the masala to onion properly, and add water

Let the water reduce till the oil wants to sip up.

Cook an omelate add the sauce you made on top.

eat it with roti, nun or parata.

Antimony

To All

To prove my point again

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

come on guys, step up to the plate, click whatever is on that plate and post it

As a good samaritan, I will start:

Hyderabadi biryani from Wiki

I wish I had a decent shot a calcutta biryani, with the large piece of potato (heaven).

Pintuda, your help is solicied!!!

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Here are some italian wines I had during my recent trip to Umbria region, Italy. These pics taken by me.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Here are some italian food I had during my recent trip to Umbria region, Italy.

Come to my house DD i'll show you my home-made wine:p

You Sure?It's tangy and good!

I just came up with it and you gave up the chance to try a revolutionary drink buddy.
In the future it'll be as famous as beer

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles