Food Thread

Iamanidiot

Natukodi, a chicken gravy dish from Rayalaseema. It may not look like much, but tastes insanely great with steamed rice. Hyderabadis can catch it at Rayalaseema Ruchulu (Tastes of Rayalaseema) in Masab Tank area.
duppada mamsam with jonna rotti or pottelu with ragi sankathi is very much better than this

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag

Putha rekulu, an Andhra sweet, some call it the "paper sweet". It is basically finely ground sugar wrapped in a rice-wafer that has the same texture as paper. The wafer melts in the mouth, though when dry, you can 'tear' it.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
duppada mamsam with jonna rotti or pottelu with ragi sankathi is very much better than this
Depends on whether you're a meat or marrow person. Natu kodi focuses on scrape-meat with skin, thin meat and ligaments (which are extremely nutritious parts). Duppada focuses on the white meat.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag

Bhakarwadi, a snack found in northern Telangana and Marathwada. It has a tasty dry masala (filling) that's wrapped in a crispy coil of fried wheat.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag

Nalli-Nihari, a Hyderabadi lamb bone-marrow gravy dish. Either with steamed rice, or rumali roti.

Btw, rumali roti is one of the world's thinnest breads. It's impossible to make such thin breads with just wheat batter without it ending up flaky or crispy, so they use a special concoction in the batter that includes yogurt, and some marination.

The roti above is big enough to cover a 1 sq m table.

Oracle

Nalli-Nihari, a Hyderabadi lamb bone-marrow gravy dish. Either with steamed rice, or rumali roti.

Btw, rumali roti is one of the world's thinnest breads. It's impossible to make such thin breads with just wheat batter without it ending up flaky or crispy, so they use a special concoction in the batter that includes yogurt, and some marination.

We also make this in my native. It's damn tasty. Mate, you forgot to add some whiskey side by side to this awesome dish.

Iamanidiot

Tarun ever been to Shadab hotel on a friday afternoon they serve excellent mutton dalcha bagra with good mutton cutlets

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Tarun ever been to Shadab hotel on a friday afternoon they serve excellent mutton dalcha bagra with good mutton cutlets
Hmm should try that. Thanks. I've been to Shadab for the all-you-can-eat offer on Mutton Biryani, but never on Fridays, for those dishes.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Nihari is a Delhi speciality. Stop Pirating Delhi Dishes :p

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Nihari is a Delhi speciality. Stop Pirating Delhi Dishes :p
I've tasted Nihari in Agra. Ours is different. We add the "Sheik it baby, make it awesome" powder. In other words, Nihari, like Biryani, is generic, but Hyderabadis have a way of making it.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Double-ka-meetha, a Hyderabadi desert. It's a kind of pudding made with bread (double roti) moistened (by simmering) in sugar syrup or honey, with elaichi and cinamon to give flavouring and garnished with kaju and pista.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I've tasted Nihari in Agra. Ours is different. We add the "Sheik it baby, make it awesome" powder. In other words, Nihari, like Biryani, is generic, but Hyderabadis have a way of making it.
NEWS: Agra and Delhi are not teh same ! Then your dish is "Hyderabadi Take on Nihari". Nihari is a copyright of Delhi !

nandu

Jharkhand Special

1.Gud pitha
2.Law pitha
3.Dumu pitha
4.Khapra pitha
5.Sem pitha
6.Manso pitha
7.Jonhar leto.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Korameenu pulusu, yet another fish-gravy dish from Andhra, made with the Korameenu fish found on some parts of our shore. Unlike Nellore pulusu, Korameenu is meatier and holds tamarind flavours better. The gravy is kept sort of thicker. Because it's meatier, they also make dry Korameenu fry, which goes well with liquor.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Korameenu pulusu, yet another fish-gravy dish from Andhra, make with the Korameenu fish found on some parts of our shore. Unlike Nellore pulusu, Korameenu is meatier and holds tamarind flavours better. The gravy is kept sort of thicker. Because it's meatier, they also make dry Korameenu fry, which goes well with liquor.

Looks tasty, the prospect of it tasting good with liquor makes it even more appealing. :D
So Tarun, I'm back after a long while, how are things at your end?

Iamanidiot

Korameenu pulusu, yet another fish-gravy dish from Andhra, made with the Korameenu fish found on some parts of our shore. Unlike Nellore pulusu, Korameenu is meatier and holds tamarind flavours better. The gravy is kept sort of thicker. Because it's meatier, they also make dry Korameenu fry, which goes well with liquor.

tarun polasa chappalu are even a much more famous delicacy

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Is korameenu a fresh water fish?? We have karimeenu in kerala, its fresh water fish, some like the saltless flesh taste, i do, some dont, but never the less Karimeenu pollichatu, is a delicacy foreigners savour upon! :)

BTW, In kerala we make uppma, but once I tasted Uppma made by a friend of mine from AP, and it had lots of vegetables in it, including Tomatoes and all. It was pretty awesome, and much awesome than our Kerala Uppma. I need to eat more Dishes from AP! :)

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Is korameenu a fresh water fish?? We have karimeenu in kerala, its fresh water fish, some like the saltless flesh taste, i do, some dont, but never the less Karimeenu pollichatu, is a delicacy foreigners savour upon! :)

BTW, In kerala we make uppma, but once I tasted Uppma made by a friend of mine from AP, and it had lots of vegetables in it, including Tomatoes and all. It was pretty awesome, and much awesome than our Kerala Uppma. I need to eat more Dishes from AP! :)
I think that's different. Korameenu is found on our shores. AP's favourite fresh-water fish is called Murrelu, it's cultivated and fished in rivers and major lakes. Our government artificially created a Murrellu 'farm' in the Nagarjuna Sagar and Sri Ram Sagar reservoirs, so the locals could make money fishing in them.

The best (or worst, depending on your taste) part about Andhra upma is the use of curry leaves (kothmir akulu).

Last edited:

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
Indian cuisines from different states

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles