FMA IA-58 Pucará

pampa14

Country flag
Uruguayan Air Force Pucaras in Florianopolis AB. I'm not allowed to post the link here (anyone please know why this is?), so, who want to see full report and photos, please, type in google the follow words: "aviacao floripa pucara", and click on the first link.

Sorry for this inconvenient and I count on your visit!

Waffen SS

Uruguayan Air Force Pucaras in Florianopolis AB. I'm not allowed to post the link here (anyone please know why this is?), so, who want to see full report and photos, please, type in google the follow words: "aviacao floripa pucara", and click on the first link.

Sorry for this inconvenient and I count on your visit!
Greetings from India!!

Well this aircraft now is a bit old it is in service from 1975, as I guess Uruguay should rather acquire Brazilian Super Tucano or attack Helicopters like AH 64 Apache(new models ones) or India's Light Combat Helicopter or Rudra.

I cant understand your problem call mods.

Roland55

Country flag
Torpedo Bomber?
180875_176066125768478_2469422_n.jpg
While the war was raging in the south Atlantic, the Argentine Air Force & Navy helped by CITEFA (military research) and FMA (Military Aircraft Factory) worked continuously in effort to help the forces fighting on the islands. Argentine engineers modified bombs with a ton of different fuzes, in effort that they were effective in the low level attacks the A-4s and Daggers were doing, there was also the modification of an Exocet battery to fire from the ground, and something that always caught my attention, the Pucara Torpedo-bomber...
IA-58 181h.jpg
The idea was presented and accepted for testing, with one of the prototypes being assigned to be the test aircraft (AX-4 and later A-566 since AX-4 was assigned to do test the use of Naval Mines and the Martin Pescador ASM). The Argentine navy had a surplus of Mk.13 torpedoes, (yes, the WW2 ones), so the aircraft (in quite a nice livery) were sent south to do the tests. The whole point of this was to attack ships while they were close to the islands, covering themselves in the landscape in effort to avoid detection until the last minute, thing that the A-4s usually did.
IMG_E6696.JPG
Its interesting to know that the Pucara was thought to carry torpedoes, in one of the original manuals (thing i have) and some promotional sheets from before the war, its stated that the aircraft could carry a full size torpedo or 2 smaller ones, perhaps in an effort to advertise the aircraft in a maritime patrol role.

Testing began with a single Mk.13, the aircraft took off and landed multiple times, to see how the weight affected its take off and landing distances, drops were done against a cliff that limited with the sea. The first drops gave bad results, the pucara dropped the torpedo at 460Km/h, the torpedo destroyed itself upon impact. More studies came and it was decided to put an "aerodynamic brake" in the front of the torpedo, thing that will stabilize its trajectory and avoid damaging it upon impact. Impressively, tests were successful, the torpedoes entered the water at the 20º angle they needed and continued until hitting the cliff and exploded.
IMG_E6699.JPG
IMG_E6700.JPG
IMG_E6701.JPG

The whole idea of using the aircraft as a Torpedo bomber had some sense, since this meant that the ships could be attacked in a coordinated manner, jets hitting first and Pucaras finishing the crippled ship. But it was an idea that had its drawbacks, the aircraft had to drop the torpedoes at a really low speed and in a straight flight path, thing that would make them easy targets for AA fire. In the end, the project finished during the last days of the war, there was no need for a thing like this to be used anymore, the aircraft (AX-4 and A-566) ceased operations and were sent back to their bases. And with this it goes the last torpedo bomber in history, as late as 1982. Guys i do have quite a large amount of images of Pucaras saved, ill try to share them as much as i can !!
IMG_E6695.JPG

i Hope you like them !

Roland55

Country flag
166114_174374419270982_1265867_n.jpg

A-X2, the original prototype being presented while Gloster Meteor passed by (1969)

Roland55

Country flag
avc_00059644.jpg
66368487_1078617415860461_8849922732092030976_n.jpg

The old A-X2 was renamed AX-0 and its garret engines were replaced with french made Turbomeca Astazous, in this pictures the aircraft was being presented in Capital Federal (city centre, Buenos Aires)

Roland55

Country flag
Long time ago in another forum i got into an argument regarding India adopting the Pucara during the 90s, i was confused about the claim, specially how no images of said Indian Pucaras had surfaced or any claim was even made, in reality...it wasn't india but Sri Lanka.... and since with time i got quite a few pics of them... here you have some!

Pics during their service

A bit more rare ones...when they were delivered via C-130 to S-L

The SLAF would acquire a small number of them (4 or 5), 2 would be lost in combat, after the conflict they would be interested in acquiring more, but at that time...FMA had been sold to Lockheed Martin, and the new American administration wasn't interested in another sale to Sri Lanka.

Roland55

Country flag
What happened to the remaining 3..? well............. 2 apparently were preserved while the third was lost in an accident (as far as i know).
There is one in the SLAF museum (C-605)

I haven't seen images of the other one, some say its now a gate guardian, but im not sure.

Roland55

Country flag

An AI enlarged image of the IA-58 carrying a Martin Pescador Guided missile (I'll add more info about it in a bit)

Roland55

Country flag
The Martin Pescador Missile was a project started by the navy for a small simple ASM, more meant as a learning experience for the handling and operation of guided weaponry. The missile itself was similar to the american AGM-12 Bullpup, having a very limited and archaic guidance system.

An example being demonstrated
The missile was homologated on various aircraft, starting with the T-28, MB.326 and eventually the Pucara...

The complete image of what i posted earlier^

Test fire on the ground​

Given the poor results, since the aircraft had to remain still to achieve proper guidance, exposing it... its use was dropped. Still a pretty interesting thing to see.

skunk works

Country flag
The Martin Pescador Missile was a project started by the navy for a small simple ASM, more meant as a learning experience for the handling and operation of guided weaponry. The missile itself was similar to the american AGM-12 Bullpup, having a very limited and archaic guidance system.

An example being demonstrated
The missile was homologated on various aircraft, starting with the T-28, MB.326 and eventually the Pucara...

The complete image of what i posted earlier^

Test fire on the ground​

Given the poor results, since the aircraft had to remain still to achieve proper guidance, exposing it... its use was dropped. Still a pretty interesting thing to see.
Did the Argentine forces recieve any help from any outside powers once the war syarted?

Roland55

Country flag
Did the Argentine forces recieve any help from any outside powers once the war syarted?
The martin pescador program started before the war, and it was a totally indigenous endeavour (if you mean regarding this program).

In general terms, quite a few countries lend a hand, Israel, Libya, Spain, italy, Germany, France, the soviet union, cuba, among a few others. With Israel being probably the one that provided the biggest help of all.

Roland55

Country flag
Something that was tested as a concept but never came into use (for obvious reasons) was the down firing 74mm Grenade launchers.

Each pod had 40 individual grenades^

Testing...

The whole idea never went out of the testing phase given the fact that when used, it exposed the aircraft to enemy fire, and possibly its loss.

Finally in an Asymmetric twin configuration

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles