First flight of the F-39 Gripen in Brazil

pampa14

Country flag

Akula

Country flag

MonaLazy

Gripen E for Brazil made first flight
Congratulations on the beautiful bird! Thanks for sharing the link that has photos of her journey- especially liked how she drove down over normal roads like a VIP (police cover and all) to arrive at the airport! Amazingly practical and funny at the same time.

MiG-29SMT

Country flag
1633779525600.png

Spitfire9

Country flag
And still not in production, 7 years after signing of the deal.

I know Brazil is in no hurry to have them fast in war footing, but still it's ridiculous.
I don't know when the F-39 will go into production in Brazil but I doubt that it will be soon since the contract is for 21 aircraft to be built in Sweden and 15 in Brazil. Reportedly another 2 should be shipped to Brazil in November, then 2 more H1 2022.

Covfefe

Country flag
View attachment 113942

It's a pretty jet. Swedes make mean military hardware despite their minimal local requirement.

What do you think about its WVR combat capabilities? The last report was that the PLAAF Flankers had subdued the Thai Gripens in WVR combat.

Spitfire9

Country flag
It's a pretty jet. Swedes make mean military hardware despite their minimal local requirement.

What do you think about its WVR combat capabilities? The last report was that the PLAAF Flankers had subdued the Thai Gripens in WVR combat.
Have Thai fighters been in combat with PLAAF or are you talking about exercises?

Meteor was first integrated onto Gripen C. As far as I know this is currently the most potent long range A2A missile in service. According to Janes earlier this year their Gripens were heading for upgrade to MS20 standard which includes the ability to use Meteor.
What's the status of Tejas and Meteor integration?

Covfefe

Country flag

It was during an exercise that PLAAF had conducted with the Thai Airforce. Some other links were posted by the Chinese visitors on this forum too. Gist was- In BVR Gripen killed the Su 27s ruthlessly, and in WVR Su 27s dominated the Gripens.
Have Thai fighters been in combat with PLAAF or are you talking about exercises?

Spitfire9

Country flag
The last report was that the PLAAF Flankers had subdued the Thai Gripens in WVR combat.
Reported result in BVR was 25:1 in favour of Su-27. Even with the Gripens being handicapped by using Sidewinders rather than IRIS-T, that is an impressive score. I guess that the message is clear - don't try taking on Su-27 with Gripen C in BVR combat.

Covfefe

Country flag
Reported result in BVR was 25:1 in favour of Su-27. Even with the Gripens being handicapped by using Sidewinders rather than IRIS-T, that is an impressive score. I guess that the message is clear - don't try taking on Su-27 with Gripen C in BVR combat.
I think you meant WVR
The JAS-39 performance was at its worst inside the within visual range (WVR) envelope. Over a two-day period, PLAAF pilots shot down 25 Gripens at a loss of only one Su-27.

Global Defence

Articles