Farm Dreams of DFIans

trackwhack

Shoot, I wish I could help, but your questions are too specific and I am clueless. From a subsidies perspective I do know however that financial assistance at 3% or less interest per anum is easily available from state banks. But yes, you do need proper documentation in terms of building plans etc. Also available is subsidized electricity. Not the same rate as available to subsistence farmers but still way lower than urban and industrial rates. Some state governments also have subsidies on borewells and other irrigation systems. Solar powered systems are available at upto 85% financial assistance at almost zero interest.

Your best bet to figure this out would be to hire a local consultant to walk you through the process. Apologies for the sparse info. Good luck.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Go for coconut or mango.

Preferably for coconut....but then its a bit maintenance intensive for the first few years and after that the returns are good.

But water is very important and the supply should be reliable.

H.A.

i am sorry to butt in here and mess with your beautiful post... :eek:) i am really looking for help and i see that you gentlemen are into businesses relating to agriculture.I have come back home to india and am now in the transition of moving to my village like some here in this forum (it is the grand plan)

i am hoping that SOMEONE here has the information i need/point me in the right direction ( a heads up -- so as to speak)

I am trying to start a raw rice mill and am a little(?) stuck.

My questions are :
1) Are there any subsidies from the Govt for a Woman entrepreneur ? (other than the 5% return on the fixed capital)
2) What do I need to do in terms of registering the rice mill ? (the details on the Govt websites are a bit hazy and are different from what the officials suggest.. THIS i attribute to my ignorance of terms they use and the process in general)

I have been thrown terms like SSI PART 1 , Factory license, company registration , building plan approval .. but I fail to understand HOW to put all this on my map. (sort of a data flow?)

So far, I have obtained a quotation from a Mill Machinery manufacturer , approached the State Finance Corp who directed me to obtain a)the quotation for machinery b)Project Plan c)Civil Estimations(That gentleman just suggested the Building plan. Is there anything else to be done here? ).

it is HARD to be taken seriously and pelt questions at someone when it is so painfully apparent that i am a novice( to the officials across a desk.)
please help.
Do you have a project report ready? i think that would be the first step, then would be to contact SIDBI or other financial institutions for advice and consultations. You also post an ad in the newspaper asking for a consultant or for a contract person incharge of looking after the establishment of the company.
Which part you planning to start the rice mill. Any particular reason for a rice mill?

Last edited:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
What a bliss!!! :) :namaste:

Keep us updated on any new developments on your farm.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Last edited by a moderator:

trackwhack

btw, back in bangalore and its depressing. nearly burst a blood vessel in my head in traffic
@Singh, thank you. perhaps answers your earlier question concerning regret... :)

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
79 species of birds and counting. 18 elephants walked past my window two nights ago, and back again into the forest last night. still crossing my fingers on my first tiger sighting.
I bet there are 100 times more species of birds.

Tolaha

@trackwhack
^^ And while you are busy collecting pics to share with us, do give us a hint as to where this place is? :D

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
thanks dd, che, yusuf, utube, dovakh, dk, and bangalorean

i think i owe a small write-up which may help others if they plan to get out of the rat race. Agriculture is rewarding – both emotionally as well as economically if you put your heart and soul into it. It is not for everyone though. Here are some things that you may want to think of.

1) are you married. If so, would you spouse (and kids if any) agree to move out of the urban maze? If not married, be prepared to look for a girl who shares this dreamy lifestyle. Your choice of mate can make or break this dream. Else stay single and have fun :)
2) do you have anscestral property and are you happy with moving there? If so good, else spend time finding the right place

to find the right place, these are the things i considered. I wanted it to be beside a large body of fresh water because it would be generally beautiful and i would never have to worry about water to meet my daily farming needs. A lake or river is good but the ideal option is a catchment reservoir. Any reservoir has a fill up period (monsoon) and a drain period (winter & summer) , so during peak summer, the water level is likely to recede and the farther you are from the main river that flows into the reservoir, the more the water will recede, so be careful to get land as close to the source as possible. The next consideration is weather. Pick a reservoir where the weather is nice throughout the year. Other considerations like proximity to a town/city/forest  etc are personal preference.

After nearly 5 years of searching i found a place perfect for me. A large reservoir that is more than 2000 sq. Km. You better believe it, 2000 sq.km, no typo here. On several borders of this reservoir there is forest land. Some of it is reserve forest, other demarcated as revenue land but still forest cover. The land i bought was at the junction of the river merging with the reservoir. So throughout the year, the water level never recedes too much. There is not much human habitation upstream on the river hence the water is clean, i had it tested at uas (university of agricultural sciences) the guy giving me the test results said i should start a bottling plant without even needing to filter it :) :). The weather is perfect too. Between 14 and 31 degrees throughout the year. The odd very sunny day may push it to 35 degrees.

I could go on and on. I hope to wrap up my present career within 8 months so i should be living there before the end of 2012. Ewald will find that as a relief.

Regarding the questions asked : Dd, yes buffalo milk is richer, however cows give higher yield. The perfect setup would be a mixture of the two, which i am considering. Milk machines can be purchased for about 25k each. You will need one for every 20 cows i estimate. Hence not a big investment. Other reasons i plan on a dairy are the biogas, which per my calculations should be enough to supply all my domestic and agricultural electricity needs (i also plan on a wind turbine). A nice plantation of teak and mahogany will bring in a bounty in about 15 years. I will be about 50 then, right time for a 2 year world trip, lol. Anyway all these are plans. I put this together about one week into my first job when i realized that i did not want to walk out retiring from a cubicle when i was 60. 10 years on, everything still seems on track, touchwood, fingers crossed. I've been lucky to find a nice spot which fit all my needs, but it also involved many weekends of driving out and searching for the right place.

Dd, you have a pm. I do not want to post on open forum the location for privacy reasons. :). Here are some more shots. These were taken two months back, my brother is helping me put up a small house there. Once i get back to india, i will stay there while building my permanent bigger abode.

awesome ! .

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
Thanks to NREGA there is cronic shortage of Labour in the Godavari districts the rice bowl of AP
Same here in UP

b t w in my Region Menthol oil gives good returns ,

Some times the prices are as high as 3.6K /ltr and u can get around 100 ltrs per acre if u do it well , the problem is you need labour at the right time , This NREGA is a huge pain in the ass with that

Last edited:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Stumbled across this thread while I was searching for something else on Google. It was awesome to read this old thread again. @trackwhack - how is it going? If you see this, PM me, I would love to know more.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Stumbled across this thread while I was searching for something else on Google. It was awesome to read this old thread again. @trackwhack - how is it going? If you see this, PM me, I would love to know more.
Thread should be updated in forum.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The ideal that one should go into is multi-farming.

That is to say Agriculture, poultry and pisiculture.

Have cash crops and a huge pond where you cultivate three type of fish - the bottom feeders, the middle feeders and the top feeders.

On one corner of the pond have a poultry on stilt, wherein the chicken droppings fall into the pond and that is very nutritious feed for the fish.

In short, you don't have all your eggs in one basket.

Soyabean is a a lucrative agricultural produce.

What you should do, you should do only after checking the nearby markets so that your product has a demand.

Trackwhack's points are very pertinent and sound.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The ideal that one should go into is multi-farming.

That is to say Agriculture, poultry and pisiculture.

Have cash crops and a huge pond where you cultivate three type of fish - the bottom feeders, the middle feeders and the top feeders.

On one corner of the pond have a poultry on stilt, wherein the chicken droppings fall into the pond and that is very nutritious feed for the fish.

In short, you don't have all your eggs in one basket.

Soyabean is a a lucrative agricultural produce.

What you should do, you should do only after checking the nearby markets so that your product has a demand.

Trackwhack's points are very pertinent and sound.
Probably much good technical advice and publications can be found here.

Government of India, Department of Agriculture & Cooperation, Ministry of Agriculture

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles