Farm Dreams of DFIans

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
True Yusuf bhai... But you know the problem with these horticultural crops... Arecanut, Cocoa, Cardamom, Vanilla etc. The prices will be high initially. An enterprising bunch get into it. Make a huge profit. People follow like crazy. Glut in the market. Prices crash. People burn their hands. They then keep away from that crop. Prices stabilize!
First mover has the advantage. The one to realize the potential and make the money. Happens in all business including mine. The current business that I am in, 4 years ago the margin was 100% in wholesale!! Within no time people flooded. Today in retail I don't get 25%!!

About 6-7 years ago those who were in this field did 1:3!!

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

"If Someone Gave Me A Million Dollars I'd Just Keep Right On Ranchin' Till It Was All Gone."

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Teak, I'm sure you would have done your research on it. Remember, maybe about 15 years back, there was a rush of companies that would take your money to have a teak planted in your name. All of them went down, simply because of the survival rate of teak plants.
And some of those companies were frauds too, as per what I have heard from others. Some of them were nothing more than pyramid money-making schemes!!

And when you are at it, have you considered sandalwood?

There used to be a time when if people would find sandalwood sapling in their land, they would immediately destroy it! Such were the laws of the land, wherein if somebody steals the sandalwood growing on your land, the landlord would be put in jail! Now times have changed and how! Karnataka government is actually encouraging farmers to plant sandalwood saplings. Many folks (some relatives from my wife's side) started growing it in their land around the Kudremukh National park. The moment I heard it, I told them it is a bad idea. The survival rate of sandalwood is even worse than teak. You can read about it. Having said that, if it survives, it's a gold mine growing in your garden!
Sandalwood is a favourite target of poachers and other unsavoury characters. :)

Yesterday, near my place here (Dollars Colony), some robbers were trying to cut down the sandalwood tree growing in someone's garden. A police beat came by and the robbers fled, leaving the tree half cut! Such things keep happening...

Iamanidiot

Rosewood is quite good but the tree is quite hard to get.Red sandalwood is another great tree

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I have a farmhouse just outside Delhi, but its undergoing a legal dispute due to land demarcation issues. A case like this could take a decade or two. I really wanted to grow something there. C'est la vie.

Being a gemini, I love opposites. I am equally at home in a big city as well as the countryside. I enjoy company of others and sometimes love my own company too.

My dream would be to have a small summer cottage in the Himalayan foothills, and a small winter cottage near the Sea. (It'd be cheaper for me to actually buy a cottage in the UK countryside, and something near the sea in Florida. Prices in India are unrealistic and unsustainable.)

Iamanidiot

I have a farmhouse just outside Delhi, but its undergoing a legal dispute due to land demarcation issues. A case like this could take a decade or two. I really wanted to grow something there. C'est la vie.

Being a gemini, I love opposites. I am equally at home in a big city as well as the countryside. I enjoy company of others and sometimes love my own company too.

My dream would be to have a small summer cottage in the Himalayan foothills, and a small winter cottage near the Sea. (It'd be cheaper for me to actually buy a cottage in the UK countryside, and something near the sea in Florida. Prices in India are unrealistic and unsustainable.)
Buy one in kasauli

Iamanidiot

I am thinking of further ahead or maybe in Uttarakhand. I visit Kasauli quite regularly.
Recently the prices of tea estates in ooty tanked the smaller ones may come at a cheaper price

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Would planting a crop there help your case?

Tolaha

These are some photos that I had clicked... my wife's side relatives have some land there where they mostly grow horticultural crops...

Someday... would like to buy a piece of land here or somewhere around...

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Tolaha,

When you upload the image and come to this page

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Don't copy URL of that page, instead right click on the image and Select "copy image address (or link)" and then paste that link for images using image tool here. I hope that helps.

Tolaha

Tolaha,

When you upload the image and come to this page

ImageShack� - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Don't copy URL of that page, instead right click on the image and Select "copy image address (or link)" and then paste that link for images using image tool here. I hope that helps.
oh ok... Now I got it! Will keep that in mind. And you've fixed my images for me! Thank you very much!

You are hereby, officially, my favorite Mod! :namaste:

radhikareddy

i am sorry to butt in here and mess with your beautiful post... :eek:) i am really looking for help and i see that you gentlemen are into businesses relating to agriculture.I have come back home to india and am now in the transition of moving to my village like some here in this forum (it is the grand plan)

i am hoping that SOMEONE here has the information i need/point me in the right direction ( a heads up -- so as to speak)

I am trying to start a raw rice mill and am a little(?) stuck.

My questions are :
1) Are there any subsidies from the Govt for a Woman entrepreneur ? (other than the 5% return on the fixed capital)
2) What do I need to do in terms of registering the rice mill ? (the details on the Govt websites are a bit hazy and are different from what the officials suggest.. THIS i attribute to my ignorance of terms they use and the process in general)

I have been thrown terms like SSI PART 1 , Factory license, company registration , building plan approval .. but I fail to understand HOW to put all this on my map. (sort of a data flow?)

So far, I have obtained a quotation from a Mill Machinery manufacturer , approached the State Finance Corp who directed me to obtain a)the quotation for machinery b)Project Plan c)Civil Estimations(That gentleman just suggested the Building plan. Is there anything else to be done here? ).

it is HARD to be taken seriously and pelt questions at someone when it is so painfully apparent that i am a novice( to the officials across a desk.)
please help.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles