Famous Atheists in Indian history

Das ka das

Tihar Jail
Banned
Hello all,

I am a big fan of the New Atheism movement with Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, and the late Christopher Hitchens being the movement's iconic figures. In an Indian context I would like us to compile a list of famous persons of Indian history who could be classified as non-believers.

A few figures I can think of include:

Buddha
Charvaka
Kapila
Makkhali Goshala
Veer Savarkar

Input from all members is encouraged

@Singh @civfanatic @LurkerBaba @atheisthindu

Last edited by a moderator:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Ajita Kesakambali
Bhagat Singh
Periyar
Jawaharlal Nehru
D.D. Kosambi
Kamal Haasan :D

MAYURA

Tihar Jail
Banned
The founder of RSS Hedgewar and Nathuram Godse both were atheists.

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
all these people were atheists or agnostics? as per wikipedia, the indian word 'naastik' may not always mean atheist in strict sense. it can mean someone who does not believe in god, or it may mean a religion/sect who does not accept authority of vedas.

IBSA

Country flag
I heard one time that hinduism had their own schools of atheistic thinking. Is it true??

If true who are the Indian atheists, skepticals, or unbelievers of Antiquity, before Europeans introduces the modern atheism in India???

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I heard one time that hinduism had their own schools of atheistic thinking. Is it true??

If true who are the Indian atheists, skepticals, or unbelievers of Antiquity, before Europeans introduces the modern atheism in India???
Hinduism is more of a "way of life" than a religion.
Yes, there are schools of thought in Hinduism, which are atheistic in nature.

Some links:
Atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Atheism in Hinduism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cārvāka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mimāṃsā - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Samkhya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Irreligion in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Karunanidhi is an Athiest too I think.

pmaitra

Hello all,

I am a big fan of the New Atheism movement with Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, and the late Christopher Hitchens being the movement's iconic figures. In an Indian context I would like us to compile a list of famous persons of Indian history who could be classified as non-believers.

A few figures I can think of include:

Buddha
Charvaka
Kapila
Makkhali Goshala
Veer Savarkar

Input from all members is encouraged

@Singh @civfanatic @LurkerBaba @atheisthindu
AFAIK, Buddha was silent on the existence of God. He cannot be called an atheist.

Last edited by a moderator:

IBSA

Country flag
Do Salman Rushdie is an atheist???

He is one of few Indian criticists of religion that I know, coz I read the Satanic Verses.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Hinduism is more of a "way of life" than a religion.
Yes, there are schools of thought in Hinduism, which are atheistic in nature.
Hinduism is definitely a religion, albeit a very diverse and decentralized one and one that doesn't have any strict definition. It is used as a catch-all phrase for the various orthodox sects/cults which exist in India. Some scholars prefer the term "Hindu religions", in the plural, rather than "Hinduism". Historically speaking, the latter view would be more accurate than viewing "Hinduism" as a single religion.

Mimamsa and Samkhya schools regard the Vedas as supernatural/divine in themselves. I am not sure if they can truly be called "atheistic".

Charvaka was definitely atheistic as well as materialistic, but its tenets have very little to do with "mainstream" Hindu philosophy. Well, it's more or less extinct anyway.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles