F-35 Joint Strike Fighter

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
NATO is not obligated to defend Finland under Art. 5 (attack on 1 is attack on all). Ukraine too is a NATO partner.

And as to F-35's advantage over Rafale and all other non-5th gen competitors, has been validated over and over again. Frankly it has become so boring.

The fact is everyone will go for F-35 if given the chance. But not all can afford it, and not all who can afford it can buy it.
Not really. There is no framework of NATO-Ukraine partnership except for US-backed funding and training of Ukrainian soldiers. Finland on the other hand, is officially designated as EOP. If Russia were to invade Finland, the Nordic Council will join them. 2 of the biggest Nordic members are in NATO. Any strike against they territory would result in the rest of 2 dozen countries pooling in their military resources.. So in a way, NATO is very much going to get involved with Finland.

Ukraine neither has an official partnership with NATO nor is given any official alliance partner title with agreements.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Not really. There is no framework of NATO-Ukraine partnership except for US-backed funding and training of Ukrainian soldiers. Finland on the other hand, is officially designated as EOP. If Russia were to invade Finland, the Nordic Council will join them. 2 of the biggest Nordic members are in NATO. Any strike against they territory would result in the rest of 2 dozen countries pooling in their military resources.. So in a way, NATO is very much going to get involved with Finland.

Ukraine neither has an official partnership with NATO nor is given any official alliance partner title with agreements.

As I said Finland is not a NATO treaty country and thus not subject to compulsory NATO defense. Any military assistance in case of an attack on Finland will only be voluntary and to be decided individually by NATO member countries, regardless of whether or not the attack on Finland has roped in a NATO member.

The same is true for Japan or Taiwan or the Philippines, etc., in case the US is roped in by mutual defense treaty obligations if any of these countries are attacked.

StealthFlanker

Country flag
No, generally, F-35 is intended to carry and launch a version of HAWC which recently got successful launch
SAS-2019-Lockheed-Martins-Hypervelocity-Missile-for-F-35C-1.jpg

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
As I said Finland is not a NATO treaty country and thus not subject to compulsory NATO defense. Any military assistance in case of an attack on Finland will only be voluntary and to be decided individually by NATO member countries, regardless of whether or not the attack on Finland has roped in a NATO member.

The same is true for Japan or Taiwan or the Philippines, etc., in case the US is roped in by mutual defense treaty obligations if any of these countries are attacked.
Do you really think that the NATO under American command won't come for Finland's defense if Russia were to invade them, hypothetically speaking? Finland borders Russia. NATO is hyperventilating at the prospect of an invasion into Ukraine, that has:

a) Been a cradle of Russian civilization, been a part of everything Russian for literally centuries until 1991
b) More than half of Ukraine (barring some parts of western Ukraine) speak Russian as regularly as Ukrainian. c) Nothing to do with NATO or western alliances like since the beginning of European nation states.

Come on buddy, you're not being serious now😁.

Japan is a different ballgame altogether. NATO is not obliged to defend them but the USA is. Same for South Korea and the Philippines. And if Americans crack their whip, the NATO allies will do as told even in their case.

Economic, commercial, strategic and diplomatic alliances are all-encompassing. F-35 is the pinnacle of American aerospace technology; the finest engine, the finest HMD, the best of stealth and the best of weapons on the platform.

Getting it is not just like a commercial transaction but requires some form of assurances in terms of commitments. US just won't give F-35s to any country that happens to border Russia.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
??? what about Poland?
I meant that there has to be an anti-Russia sentiment in some political form or the other in that country for the US to just give out F-35s as pancakes. Poland is the frontrunner and is the dearest ally that the US can have in Europe after the Brits (post-War Germany is a vassal state so they don't count).

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
What is this vent/grill for below the tail plane?

View attachment 128395
View attachment 128396

And some other similar diamond shaped apertures

View attachment 128397
I am not sure about it though. But I will share my opinion on this:
It could be anything may be different purposes in different locations. From the last picture it looks like Aft band anteena of Integrated avionics suite. Looks different in Engine cowl. The shape and the mesh is for Stealth. May be passive sensors.
1640791331857.png

Also it' Appears to be some fort of conformal antennae. The dark colored part is probably di-electric to allow passage of RF signals.
Rest I will rest my case here. It's Confusing for me as well to what the Heck these are. Don't have anything else to say on this. I will research more about this and tell though.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles