Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

The US Marine Corps' F-35 just proved it's ready to take enemy airspace

During tests that concluded on September 1, US Marine Corps F-35Bs proved their ability to multitask in the exact kind of way they would need to while breaching an enemy air-defense zone.
The Marines at Edwards Air Base, California, completed multiple tests of AIM-120 Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missiles in complicated air-to-air and air-to-ground scenarios, but the highlight of the test involved a 500-pound laser-guided bomb.
An F-35B successfully dropped the 500 pounder and supported it with onboard sensors to hit a ground target while simultaneously shooting down an unmanned F-16 drone with the AIM-120.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
F-35A continues air superiority over legacy fighters

Bashore and his wingmen at the 58th FS, which belongs to the 33rd Fighter Wing at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, have been employing the capabilities of the F-35A,
scoring as many as 27 “kills” in a single sortie at Northern Lightning, a large force exercise where fifth- and fourth-generation aircraft engage in a contested, degraded environment.

“We took off out of Madison (to join the fight),” said Lt. Col. Bart Van Roo, the commander of the Wisconsin Air National Guard’s 176th FS, which has F-16 Fighting Falcons. “
We went to our simulated airfield out in the far part of the airspace. As the two ship from the northern half of the airspace we turned hot, drove for about 30 seconds and we were dead, just like that. We never even saw (the F-35A).”

“For us, as a capable fourth-generation fighter, we are used to being able to see and counter most adversaries that we have out there when we are playing red air,” Van Roo said. “Versus the F-35, it’s completely different. The most difficult thing is we just can’t see them like they can see us. It can feel like you are out there with a blindfold on trying to find someone in a huge space.
“We have been reliant on visual pickups of the aircraft only, which is extremely difficult to do, and at those ranges we are already dead before we could shoot back.”

http://www.aerotechnews.com/blog/2016/09/02/f-35a-continues-air-superiority-against-legacy-aircraft/

gadeshi

F-35C carrier tests =================>:

And F-35A refuelling:

WolfPack86

Country flag
The F- 35 Just Proved It Can Take Russian OR Chinese Air Space With Out FIring A Shot

gadeshi

https://theaviationist.com/2014/10/22/f-35-som-j-tests/
rkish air-launched cruise missile is being tested for integration on the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.
SOM (Stand-Off Missile) is a high precision cruise missile, developed since 2006 and unveiled for the first time during the 100th anniversary celebrations of the Turkish Air Force at Izmir, in June 2011.

The SOM can be used against stationary and moving targets at a distance of over 180 kilometers.

SOM-J is a low observable SOM variant designed to fit internal weapon bay of the F-35 Lightning II jet.

Another major difference is the warhead of SOM-J which is anti-ship and semi-armour piercing type with blast/fragmentation effects on soft targets (i.e. personnel, unarmoured military vehicles, radars, buildings, etc.).

The development activities have been initiated under the contract between Undersecretariat for Defence Industries (SSM) and ROKETSAN Inc. According to this contract, TÜBİTAK SAGE has been subcontracted to perform development activities.

Based on the material provided by Arda Mevlutoglu, owner of siyahgribeyaz.com, who sent us the press releases distributed by ROKETSAN during the meeting, the platform integration activities for the F-35 have started. Among the activities that have already conducted successfully, there are the wind tunnel tests.

Finalization of complete product is planned in 2018, when SOM-J will be available to all F-35 users.

H/T Arda Mevlutoglu for the heads-up

Scarface

Why India do not acquiring F-35 from USA??
God and the ministry of defence works in mysterious ways.

It's surprising how they aren't even interested in the F-35 meanwhile the whole world is busy placing orders for it and our northern neighbors stealth fighters are in production

scatterStorm

Country flag
God and the ministry of defence works in mysterious ways.

It's surprising how they aren't even interested in the F-35 meanwhile the whole world is busy placing orders for it and our northern neighbors stealth fighters are in production

One of my pal( can't name him for confidential reasons ), currently in IAF undergoing combat jet training said, somebody asked those IAF aces, that why don't we(Indians) buy F35 and to that they replied, albeit not the exact words that,

" F35 is good jet, but stealth is just a new fad to push West agenda and interest to insecure nations, current 4++ gen fighters with updated avionics, armaments and ECM capabilities can detect and can prove to be a good aggressor, given ... who dominates the air first, which depends on well planned air superiority tactics and judicious use every equipment including the pilot abilities itself in any air force's arsenal!".

When I asked him, "So what the MoD is proposing then?", he said "we are currently seeking cheap yet upgradable planes so as to adjust our defense spending on our own LCA program, Couple of more SU30MKIs with new upgrades, few more Rafale down the line and the 5th gen program in pipeline, and he even said that recent participation in Red flag exercises gave them good queue's as to why they don't want F35 and Oh of course the price tag". Although he didn't told what were those queue's.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
One of my pal( can't name him for confidential reasons ), currently in IAF undergoing combat jet training said, somebody asked those IAF aces, that why don't we(Indians) buy F35 and to that they replied, albeit not the exact words that,

" F35 is good jet, but stealth is just a new fad to push West agenda and interest to insecure nations, current 4++ gen fighters with updated avionics, armaments and ECM capabilities can detect and can prove to be a good aggressor, given ... who dominates the air first, which depends on well planned air superiority tactics and judicious use every equipment including the pilot abilities itself in any air force's arsenal!".

When I asked him, "So what the MoD is proposing then?", he said "we are currently seeking cheap yet upgradable planes so as to adjust our defense spending on our own LCA program, Couple of more SU30MKIs with new upgrades, few more Rafale down the line and the 5th gen program in pipeline, and he even said that recent participation in Red flag exercises gave them good queue's as to why they don't want F35 and Oh of course the price tag". Although he didn't told what were those queue's.
I think the same
With advancement in radar technologies the stealth sheild will be nothing more than a wall of smoke.Easy to penetrate.its better to invest in better long range radar,avionics,electronic countermeasures,long range missile,intelligence sharing and 360° situational awareness.

Scarface

Forgive me if I don't believe you.

But if I were to,I wouldn't give much credence to the IAF on this, considering they have no hands on experience with stealth aircraft,they haven't been even allowed to fly the PAK FA prototypes once,neither have they gotten the chance to evaluate the F-35 since we never showed any interest in the aircraft

The "western agenda for weapons sales" argument fell flat when Russia and China , 2 nations immune to both western propaganda and western weapon dependancy, started working day and night to develop a stealth fighter,China going to the extent of engaging in cyber warfare to steal F-35 data from the USA.Stealth is important,and the desperate attempts to develop stealth aircraft are proof of it

Now coming to why I am extremely skeptical of your post is because you(or your friend) claim participating in Red Flag allowed IAF to assess the F-35

The thing is,the first F-35 to participate in the Red Flag exercise was F-35B , in Red Flag 16-3(16-3= third exercise in 2016)
in which the IAF wasn't a participant

The last Red Flag exercise IAF participated in was Red Flag 08-4,back when F-35 wasn't even in serial production let alone participate in a war exercise

EDIT:forgot to add source for IAF participation in red flag

EDIT:Some sources say IAF participated in Red Flag 16-1,no official sources.But even so the F-35 made it's red flag debut in 16-3 in which there's no source indicating IAF participation(not to be confused with Israeli Air Force also called IAF which participated in 16-3)

http://www.dreamlandresort.com/info/flag_units.html

Last edited:

Scarface

An Israeli F-35AI fan art ===========> :
Israeli aircraft camouflage paintjobs always look aesthetically appealing

Sadly this seems unlikely given the paint might interfere with the RAM coating , or is it still viable ?

I'd like to know

gadeshi

Israeli aircraft camouflage paintjobs always look aesthetically appealing

Sadly this seems unlikely given the paint might interfere with the RAM coating , or is it still viable ?

I'd like to know
There are no RAMs in coating of modern stealth aircrafts, a dielectric top coat only.

Отправлено с моего XT1080 через Tapatalk

StealthFlanker

Country flag
There are no RAMs in coating of modern stealth aircrafts, a dielectric top coat only.

Отправлено с моего XT1080 через Tapatalk
There are RAM ( radar absorbing material ) on stealth fighter aircraft , some aircraft such as F-35 literally has it's airframe made from RAM ( fibermat )

StealthFlanker

Country flag
I think the same
With advancement in radar technologies the stealth sheild will be nothing more than a wall of smoke.Easy to penetrate.its better to invest in better long range radar,avionics,electronic countermeasures,long range missile,intelligence sharing and 360° situational awareness.
It is a common misconception that stealth technology is short live and as radar get more powerful , soon , they will be able to out range weapon engagement envelop , thus renders all money spend on RCS reduction awaste. This impression is inaccurate because any technology that can increase a radar peak power or gain will also benefit a jammers in the same ways. And stealth have a synergy relationship with jamming. The smaller your RCS , the less power you will be needed for your jammer and the less the burn through distance will be

scatterStorm

Country flag
Forgive me if I don't believe you.

But if I were to,I wouldn't give much credence to the IAF on this, considering they have no hands on experience with stealth aircraft,they haven't been even allowed to fly the PAK FA prototypes once,neither have they gotten the chance to evaluate the F-35 since we never showed any interest in the aircraft

The "western agenda for weapons sales" argument fell flat when Russia and China , 2 nations immune to both western propaganda and western weapon dependancy, started working day and night to develop a stealth fighter,China going to the extent of engaging in cyber warfare to steal F-35 data from the USA.Stealth is important,and the desperate attempts to develop stealth aircraft are proof of it

Now coming to why I am extremely skeptical of your post is because you(or your friend) claim participating in Red Flag allowed IAF to assess the F-35

The thing is,the first F-35 to participate in the Red Flag exercise was F-35B , in Red Flag 16-3(16-3= third exercise in 2016)
in which the IAF wasn't a participant

The last Red Flag exercise IAF participated in was Red Flag 08-4,back when F-35 wasn't even in serial production let alone participate in a war exercise

EDIT:forgot to add source for IAF participation in red flag

EDIT:Some sources say IAF participated in Red Flag 16-1,no official sources.But even so the F-35 made it's red flag debut in 16-3 in which there's no source indicating IAF participation(not to be confused with Israeli Air Force also called IAF which participated in 16-3)

http://www.dreamlandresort.com/info/flag_units.html
Hey it's alright to be skeptical, we are on a forum of course, that being said, my pal never participated in Red Flag 16-1, yet the officers who did, told something about F35 being not so interesting & for that I did mention "he didn't mention those queue's" to why they didn't like F35 as a potential IAF fighter jet, yet he did mention some of the reasons "Why aren't we purchasing F35". And IAF did participated in Red Flag 16-1 albeit not in 16-3. At this point I have to add that I am no air force personnel, I am just a Machine Learning engineer who also has great love for his country and likes to discuss, share info and opinion on military technology, just like everybody does here, so whatever I hear from my pal over a cup of coffee whenever he comes to my hometown after some long training, just like good pals we sit and we talk, so please cut some slack here. :)

Last edited:

Scarface

Hey it's alright to be skeptical, we are on a forum of course, that being said, my pal never participated in Red Flag 16-1, yet the officers who did, told something about F35 being not so interesting & for that I did mention "he didn't mention those queue's" to why they didn't like F35 as a potential IAF fighter jet, yet he did mention some of the reasons "Why aren't we purchasing F35". And IAF did participated in Red Flag 16-1 albeit not in 16-3. At this point I have to add that I am no air force personnel, I am just a Machine Learning engineer who also has great love for his country and likes to discuss, share info and opinion on military technology, just like everybody does here, so whatever I hear from my pal over a cup of coffee whenever he comes to my hometown after some long training, just like good pals we sit and we talk, so please cut some slack here. :)

Very well,thank you for understanding my skepticism.

IAF officers who participated in Red Flag 16-1 would have no way of evaluating anything about the F-35

Because the first time F-35 participated in Red Flag was 16-3,the variant participating in the exercise was the F-35B because it's the only variant that has reached initial operational capability.

The F-35A is in the final stages of achieving IOC.

scatterStorm

Country flag
It is a common misconception that stealth technology is short live and as radar get more powerful , soon , they will be able to out range weapon engagement envelop , thus renders all money spend on RCS reduction awaste. This impression is inaccurate because any technology that can increase a radar peak power or gain will also benefit a jammers in the same ways. And stealth have a synergy relationship with jamming. The smaller your RCS , the less power you will be needed for your jammer and the less the burn through distance will be

Nice info there much appreciated. I wanted to ask that radars or jammers have a finite amount of time for sustained functioning after which they have to go on a cool-off period, unless you have some sort of cooling mechanism but that would also mean certain amount of time being not in operation, that being said, can we detect a stealth jet during those period? And another question, with the recent advancement in long range image and pattern recognition( F35 jets sorts of uses it with there DAS and EO DAS, some claim T50s also ) to identify any "fuzzy" ground or airborne target using SA radars, does it mean that SA and arguably Low band radars also can although detect "fuzzy" targets which are little of no significance?

I mean, you can detect a golf ball in air, but how sure we are that golf ball is a stealth jet? Yet with recent advancements in Image and pattern recognition( I work in this domain ) combined with onboard parallel computing power that surety index becomes quite significant! No wonder why Russian claim that they have found a way to detect stealth jet at a longer distance. What do you think?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles