F-18 for India ?

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
For people pushing for the F/A-18 for the Indian Air Force or any other US fighters:

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Claims American Fighters Are Only Useful for Airshows - Why F-18s Can’t Fight Without Washington’s Permission

"Mahathir noted regarding the terms imposed by the U.S. on clients for its fighter aircraft that the source codes for the jets were not provided, meaning: “we cannot program the plane for any attacks against other countries without getting the programming done by Americans. So although the planes are very good, in terms of performance very powerful engines, but we cannot program the plane by ourselves. You have to refer to the United States for putting the program for any raid on foreign countries for example. So our planes were costly. We have them. We can fly them at airshows. But we cannot use them to fight any other country because we don’t get the source code.”

No wonder Pakistanis always have to deny their F-16s were used or shot down !
Doesn't make sense. Does he tell F18 can recognise borders and refuse to fire missiles after crossing the border? If he meant American permission then that's a different story. Even then the pilot can still fire missiles. No country provides source codes. Even if Malaysia selects Tejas we aren't giving them ours.

Saynow

Country flag
Based on what I have learned, F-18 seems to me best suited fighter for Indian airforce. Why Indian gov is keep rejecting it ?

Also, Why everyone here hates Mig-35 ?
i dont think it is super aircraft that is why

ashdoc

Country flag
if USA is going to help us build a factory of f 18s in India then maybe f 18 block 3 is not a bad idea. How many rafales can we buy if it is not going to be built in India ? On the other hand if f 18 will be built in India then we can make as many f 18s as we like.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Doesn't make sense. Does he tell F18 can recognise borders and refuse to fire missiles after crossing the border? If he meant American permission then that's a different story. Even then the pilot can still fire missiles. No country provides source codes. Even if Malaysia selects Tejas we aren't giving them ours.
The GPS or INS system aboard can avoid the weapon system to fire if outside the area where Uncle Sam agree to....

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
if USA is going to help us build a factory of f 18s in India then maybe f 18 block 3 is not a bad idea. How many rafales can we buy if it is not going to be built in India ? On the other hand if f 18 will be built in India then we can make as many f 18s as we like.
Why do you think DA&Reliance are building so many warehouses? Because there is an assembly mline included in any next Rafale order.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
The GPS or INS system aboard can avoid the weapon system to fire if outside the area where Uncle Sam agree to....
Really? But CCM or cannon are at the control of the pilots. I can understand that for BVR missiles.
Thinking of it I still can't get it. It means how can you do that? How will any country know when is danger supposed to lurk you? What happens if GPS is turned off?

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Really? But CCM or cannon are at the control of the pilots. I can understand that for BVR missiles.
Thinking of it I still can't get it. It means how can you do that? How will any country know when is danger supposed to lurk you? What happens if GPS is turned off?
Cannon is free,
CCM is linked to the avionic, so it's not mad to think it may be linked to a high autority agreement (uncle Sam ?).
Without GPS there are alternatives : Glonass, Beidou, Galileo.... but your bird need a system able to received the signals of these sat (in a US one it's doubtfull) And without GPS remain the inertial system inboard, less acurate but enough to find the way to go back to airbase.

UAE and Egyp discovered during the 2011 Lybian affair that they were not free to use their F16 as they want....
So it's a cruel reality.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles