F-18 for India ?

Gessler

Country flag
Payload is a problem - but can the plane can take off with minimal fuel + full weapon loadout and afterwards fill up via mid-air refuelling?
That is how even the MiG-29Ks are operating from Vikramaditya today.

Even with minimal fuel, the payload loss is significant. Not aware of the specifics, but if you have to launch 2 planes just to ensure 1 gets a somewhat good mission load, it's already a very inefficient way to conduct carrier air operations.

Games Goblin

Country flag
it's already a very inefficient way to conduct carrier air operations.
Are the US Navy only ones in the world having catapult launcher in aircraft carrier? Why didn't we pursue it for INS Vikrant?

EDIT:

Quick Google search revealed that USA has approved to release their Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System to India for use in future carriers (news dtd Jul 18)

US to release EMALS technology to India for aircraft carriers

Due to its flexible architecture, Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System can launch a wide variety of aircraft and platforms with differing catapult configurations

WASHINGTON: The US has decided to release the crucial Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System for the Indian Navy's future aircraft carrier, according to the Trump administration.

The decision comes ahead of Secretary of State Rex Tillerson's visit to India. A formal date of the visit has not been announced yet.

The Trump administration has informed India of its decision.

India had sent a letter of request to the US government during the Obama administration for the Electromagnetic Launch System (EMLAS) built by General Atomics for aircraft carrier planned by the Indian Navy.

Due to its flexible architecture, EMALS can launch a wide variety of aircraft weights and can be used on a variety of platforms with differing catapult configurations.

The Trump administration sent a response to India on Monday about its decision to release this technology.

Aerospace expert Dr Vivek Lall, chief executive, US and International Strategic Development, of General Atomics had told earlier that General Atomics is planning to open an office in Delhi to support the Indian government's military requirements.

The Indian Navy plans to integrate the US-made EMALS catapults into its future supercarriers.

This gesture ahead of the Tillerson's visit is another indication of the strategic alliance US wants to foster with India, informed sources said.

Last month, the Defence Secretary Jim Mattis visited India.

https://m.economictimes.com/news/de...or-aircraft-carriers/articleshow/61129874.cms

Last edited:

WolfPack86

Country flag
I am in favour of procuring of f-18 advanced super hornet for Indian air force and Indian navy Boeing only successfully us company. Boeing is very fast in delivery. It is better to procure this aircraft. We might get some technology transfer in engine and tejas mk 1a and tejas mk 2 will use us engines and also our amca.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I am in favour of procuring of f-18 advanced super hornet for Indian air force and Indian navy Boeing only successfully us company. Boeing is very fast in delivery. It is better to procure this aircraft. We might get some technology transfer in engine and tejas mk 1a and tejas mk 2 will use us engines and also our amca.
Yeah there’s ZERO chance any meaningful tech will be transferred to India and we all know it.

The way US has behaved and continues to behave should be an eye opener to all Indians. Do you want your jets subject to US sanctions and end user agreements?

Rafale is the only viable option.

rone

Country flag
Yeah there’s ZERO chance any meaningful tech will be transferred to India and we all know it.

The way US has behaved and continues to behave should be an eye opener to all Indians. Do you want your jets subject to US sanctions and end user agreements?

as considering the possibility of fa 18 have ability of ski jumping and inter portability with Indian navy, acquiring f18 i think even with full tot it will only 40-55% Indian content mainly airframe and some electronics rest of aircraft will like su30 deal just screwdriver giri

abingdonboy

Country flag
as considering the possibility of fa 18 have ability of ski jumping and inter portability with Indian navy, acquiring f18 i think even with full tot it will only 40-55% Indian content mainly airframe and some electronics rest of aircraft will like su30 deal just screwdriver giri
What interoperability? IAF already has assured Rafale orders so if navy orders it then they will have interoperability with the AF. There’s very little chance the IAF orders F18 at this point.

Forget localisation, the biggest drawback to any American deal is the restrictions of their use that are imposed by the US govt.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Modi wants 200 Rafale, just using the IAF budget isn't going to get there. Combining it with the IN budget will get it there. The low wing loading of the Rafale makes it a good candidate even for a ski jump but it will be sacrificing payload. If you could put a baby EMALs on the Vikrant would solve that problem.

rone

Country flag
Modi wants 200 Rafale, just using the IAF budget isn't going to get there. Combining it with the IN budget will get it there. The low wing loading of the Rafale makes it a good candidate even for a ski jump but it will be sacrificing payload. If you could put a baby EMALs on the Vikrant would solve that problem.
i think whether f18 or Rafel it will be for ins Vishal not for Vikrant i think Vikram may have 26 mig29kub additional, also to rectify mig29k issue russi already started a service station in goa

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
i think whether f18 or Rafel it will be for ins Vishal not for Vikrant i think Vikram may have 26 mig29kub additional, also to rectify mig29k issue russi already started a service station in goa
I don't think there will be any increase of MiG-29K. The current numbers are enough for rotating two carriers and when Viki enters retirement the MiG-29Ks will be phased out. I suspect the Vikrant will get catapults during its MLU. Maybe the reason it is taking so long is that they are considering adding catapults now... who knows.

WolfPack86

Country flag

Forget rafale my friend only 36 rafale coming not more. Rafale costly aircraft and French refuse technology transfer. So f-18 advanced super hornet best option. Plus supreme Court will block additional rafale.

garg_bharat

Country flag
India may have to focus massively on its Army. I think very large very expensive fighter purchases may not happen as desired by many enthusiasts. Ultimately Army will be critical in large scale war; far more than Air Force.

Shortcuts are necessary. India is negotiating for 21 Mig-29 with Russia. IAF should look for other deals where price is within budget.

Sometimes second hand equipment is good too. And weapons matter as much as the firing platform as proved on Feb 27. My feeling is that even an old F-15 is better than Su-30 despite its large RCS; due to better offensive capability.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
India may have to focus massively on its Army. I think very large very expensive fighter purchases may not happen as desired by many enthusiasts. Ultimately Army will be critical in large scale war; far more than Air Force.
If the IAF does not have air superiority then any fancy new equipment the Army has is just targets.

Shortcuts are necessary. India is negotiating for 21 Mig-29 with Russia. IAF should look for other deals where price is within budget.
Shortcuts is what China does, they have 2, soon to be 3 aircraft carriers and no deck fighter to operate from them.

Sometimes second hand equipment is good too. And weapons matter as much as the firing platform as proved on Feb 27. My feeling is that even an old F-15 is better than Su-30 despite its large RCS; due to better offensive capability.
Feb 27 proved that an upgraded M2K is better than an old M2K and that multi-role is the future. Su-30 needs the Super 30 upgrade, the question is what will be the price.

ashdoc

Country flag

But rafale is too costly and that's why it's procurement was reduced to 36 .

garg_bharat

Country flag
I am no expert but reading analysis done by experts. One thing that struck me that Su 30 were not at ideal height to fire their own R77 missiles. They also stayed at safe distance away from f16. This flies in the face of their air superiority role. Mig21 should have had top cover from Su30.

garg_bharat

Country flag
I think Su30 role is reduced and India needs another air superiority fighter.

I have a feeling that tiny Tejas would have done better than Su30.

garg_bharat

Country flag
More Rafale can be bought. But only USA has massive defence industrial complex which India will need in SHTF scenario.

Look towards China. Look east. Russians cannot save India anymore. French will also fall short. Uncle Sam is still king.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
I think the logical first choice of the 114 mmrca 2.0 fighter competition is Rafael given that we have already invested in the ground infrastructure for the 36 aircraft. The second choice will be su-35 and is an advanced version of Su-30mki with its aesa radar and 3d tvc and more powerful engine. But the question is whether India will be able to use the ground infrastructure developed by hal for su30 mki for the manufacture of Su-35 or new infrastructure will have to be developed which is not cost effective.
Hence between both these fighters it would come down to who is willing to give more tot to us. I would rather stay away from American fighters .
Also it would be interesting if Russia offers su57e for this competition.
Lastly I would wish that India manufacture local versions of Su-30mki under a different name upgraded with aesa and other indegeneous avionics like china is going with j11 and j15. We are already manufacturing the entire airframe and powerplant in hal and there is a need for 300-400 such fighters in the next 10-15 years.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Russia is selling to China and Pakistan: I think our love for Russia needs to go down a notch. Specially sales to China is a worry as best Russian products are finding way to China before India.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles